Malware Hunts And Kills Poorly Secured Internet Of Things Devices

"Attack bots issue a series of commands that wipe device media, corrupt all storage, and disconnect the device from the internet."

archive.is/bQmeW

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Pear-Linux-76309.shtml
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/brickerbot-author-claims-he-bricked-two-million-devices/
extremetech.com/computing/133773-rakshasa-the-hardware-backdoor-that-china-could-embed-in-every-computer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's way better than what was happening to them before.

5 bucks says the authorities don't even bother going after whoever is running the attack bots.

Jesus! how can i protect my juicer?

linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Pear-Linux-76309.shtml

>punishes idiocy

that's ok by me, senpai.

but where do the attack bots come from?

When a mommy and daddy attack bot love eachother very much ..

sounds like a public service

These people are literally saving human society.

DOES THIS MEAN MY TOASTER WILL BE HELPING THOSE COMMUNIST BASTARDS? FUCK OBAMA, GOOD THING TRUMP WILL M A K E A M E R I C A G R E A T A G A I N

Good. Fuck IoT. My thermostat doesn't need a fucking attack surface that could render me vulnerable to viruses that could realistically freeze my fucking pipes in the winter and destroy my house.

>Install """smart""" thermostat
>It gets bricked by attackbot
>All heating turns off
>Freeze to death

T-thanks ..

So it's doing a public service? Why is this a punishable offense again?

Software saints doing society a favoue by making IoT die.

Interview with the guy who made the attack bots

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/brickerbot-author-claims-he-bricked-two-million-devices/

I don't use a """smart""" thermostat at all, what I would love to happen would be for there to be a virus that killed all IoT hardware immediately making it totally unprofitable to sell so people stop fucking producing it. I don't want to ever buy a house that has a smart thermostat, and sometimes it's impossible to tell until it's too late and your property is destroyed.

they are playing 10D fiddlesticks

"IoT" is a term coined by semiconductor companies. They all use the same terminology in application notes/advertising/datasheets. IEEE is the place where these multinational megacorp semiconductor manufacturers get together to play 5d chess.

You see standards come out of IEEE, mainly ZigBee, that deal explicitly with the security of IoT SoCs. Yet the Mirai botnet proved that they were hackable in a worst case scenario way. Also anybody who has been a scanner monkey using shodan.io knows that networking gear continues to have shit security (default passwords) even though they come from reputable companies (Cisco, etc...).

The NSA is using the multinational corps of US and allied electronics hubs like Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, to get a leg up in a cyperpunk arms race against China by engineering exploits into products.

It makes sense because China has already done it in the past. They want/need to match this capability or risk getting pwned by the Chinks

extremetech.com/computing/133773-rakshasa-the-hardware-backdoor-that-china-could-embed-in-every-computer

So according to your bullshit conspiracy theory, they're putting vunlerable IoT devices out there so whoever the fuck wants to get their hands on them can do so? And this will somehow combat China? Fucking brilliant logic there.

Imagine if these products get used:

you could raise all kinds of hell. It would be like stuxnet.

Have you ever noticed ur toaster getting hot? It's the chinks farming bitcoins

Who fucking cares.

I was waiting for someone to do this, I'm glad it's happening, this meme of connecting everything to the internet must die.