/bsdg/

Can we get a FreeBSD thread going? Other BSD's welcome.

Why aren't you using it user?

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
copyfree.org/standard/rejected
youtube.com/watch?v=HPKGgo4kGQM
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html
pcworld.com/article/3147311/security/backdoor-accounts-found-in-80-sony-ip-security-camera-models.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice drivers you got there :^)

thank you! they work extremely well!

>FreeBSD server
>MacOS workstation

>cuck license

Use CDDL or MPL.
>non cucked like BSD
>non viral like GPL

Nice ASLR you got there :^)

11 have ASLR. It's not like anyone cares, since they failed against Linux almost everywhere..

Obligatory reminder that FreeBSD's security is worse than Windows.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

>user likes productivity and security with sane defaults

no complaints have a nice day

>security
>on OSX

FreeBSD 11 does not have ASLR.
FreeBSD -CURRENT does not have ASLR.

All potential Sup Forums posters should be required to pass an English proficiency test before posting.

Only brainlets use FreeBSD.

OpenBSD is arguably on of the most secure operating systems ever made.

because the benefits of running BSD instead of Linux aren't all that noticeable on a laptop/desktop?

what if I just don't like stall(in)man?

Well i'm exposed. I don't give much shit about freebsd or user arguments.

Doesn't (free|open)bsd still use gcc?

FreeBSD and OpenBSD use GCC for some non-x86 architectures. Both include Clang/LLVM in base. FreeBSD currently builds x86 with Clang and OpenBSD is in the process of transitioning to it.

copyfree.org/standard/rejected

>i was wrong and got called out
>heh well i don't care about your opinion

Pajeet isn't just a meme we came up with, friends. They're actually here and actually shitting up the board with broken english.

because it's an insecure piece of shit

>''''''approved'''''' list
>all cuck licenses that encourage use in proprietary software
lel

>PROTECT MY FREEDOMS BY LIMITING MY FREEDOMS
lmao, gnu niggers are pathetic

>having the freedom to take freedom away from other people is more freedom

Umm sweetie MacOS is more secure than Linux

>easier to install
>default packages have depreciated and inherently insecure options
yeah no

The one and only advantage to using it in this day is it's networking stack. That itself is an advantage it'll soon loses. Big money is going into the linux networking stack, people want to eventually use it for top shelf networking equipment. Nothing else it has is worth using it for over a linux system. I mean shit like jails aren't bad or useless but we have a million more ways of encapsulating a system these days, more importantly ways that are used in the industry.

>it's networking stack
>an advantage it'll soon loses.

Seriously, why are these filthy foreigners allowed to post here?

okay sure, point out english is not my first language
but that doesn't change the validity of my points you retard

stay mad bsdcucks

People around here confuse privacy and security.
And they're right to, in that sense OSX is insecure as fuck.

>easier to install
Yeah, no. Getting X running, working out which kernel modules you need to load on boot, working out what you need to get set up in /etc/rc.conf, and optionally rebuilding the kernel if you need something like ALTQ isn't exactly what I'd call easier than installing most Linux distros.

Alright fuck it, I'll try installing BSD in a VM. Which one? FreeBSD?

You mean the ones the Linux devs stole?

T R U E O S
R
U
E
O
S

Now that syspatch is available i've moved all of my machines over to OpenBSD. I used to hate manually updating the base system but now i can just do a binary update.

Feeling like this is an epic meme like Solus Linux.

Doesn't Work on My Machineā„¢

this may be true, but there is also alot more motivation to create viruses / exploits for OSX cause of the larger userbase. Linux may have more flaws, but gets targeted less

never heard of it, checked the website and it looks fucking great.

anyone has input about it?

>when you have the functionality that gnu/linux had 15 years ago

are you sure that's a good idea

it's still relatively new

also i love all the internal changes happening to the project, dropping VAX and CD releases seems to have sped up everything

It's like Ubuntu but even more broken than if you were actually using Ubuntu.

Based on FreeBSD -CURRENT (development branch that's largely untested) and doesn't support any modern Intel or AMD graphics cards.

I'm dabbling with it on my laptop, my workstations we still use openup but i think by the time OpenBSD 6.2 comes around syspatch will be stable.

It's the Ubuntu of the BSDs, i.e. just a messed up version of FreeBSD. Just get FreeBSD.

I think I caught wind of some kind of political bullshit surrounding BSD. Anyone wanna redpill me?

>Anyone wanna redpill me?
Yes. Never use it. It doesn't protect your freedoms.

It's made its way into most Linux distributions through OpenSSH, sadly. Whenever possible, replace OpenSSH with GNU LSH.

Always prefer software that defends your freedoms!

the funny part about this post is i'm sure some people unironically use lsh because of political reasons

I'm going to install FreeBSD on a virtual machine since it cannot be installed on my iMac at this time. I have 8 gigs of ram. I'm going to be using this virtual machine for hours everyday for programming and shitposting.How much ram should I give it? I will be using a lightweight window manager. Also, as it will probably be less than 4GB should I use i386 instead of amd64? Thank you.

>i lose something when somebody copies me

thats just as retarded as saying piracy is theft

2gb ram. AMD64 if you can. JWM.

yeah 4 GB is more than enough

don't see why you wouldn't go with amd64

GiB*

Good joke
Install LibreSSL

>Why aren't you using it user?

read the text on your underage meme image.

This is why: I wish not to associate myself with the likes of you.

Unless you are going to contribute code, I don't know why would you care.

GnuTLS*

thread theme song

youtube.com/watch?v=HPKGgo4kGQM

Is there any basic sandboxing applications for FreeBSD? I like to sandbox all of my internet facing and office suit applications on Linux using firejail/seccomp.

No.

There is some SJW corruption in FreeBSD only. Other BSDs are unaffected.

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html

Thanks, friend.

You're welcome

Because use of the ports tree basically breaks any promise of stability. You might as well be running a rolling release Linux distro at that point.

If you want to "set it and forget it" distro, use CentOS or Debian.

>The BSD License allows proprietary use and allows the software released under the license to be incorporated into proprietary products.
No, thanks

Can't hear you too busy playing video games on my BSD based console.

that's why we hate you so much
it had to be hacked thanks to you

Too bad Free/Open/NetBSD for PCs has literally (and I mean literally) zero fucking games.

Rolling release Linux (portage) is waaaaay more stable than ports.

yeah you literally CAN'T play emulated games (which means you have an almost infinite amount of them)

because the advantages over linux are not *that* many (even though they definitely are there) that it's worth to learn a whole new OS.

Let me know when you can reliably emulate any console made in the past 20 years

it's my main os, it's good

>moving the goalpost
PCSX2 could probably run but i don't feel like porting it

also PS2 is probably the only console you can "reliably" emulate that was also made in the past 20 years

cemu

HEIL

>Highly experimental software to emulate Wii U applications on PC
>Highly experimental
right

Running OpenBSD on my laptop, using wifi scripts like pic related for each network. I like it but I move around campus a lot throughout the day and running my scripts each time is getting a little annoying. It's what I gotta do with the WPA Enterprise network on campus. The annoying part is making a new script for each new place I go to. Anyone here run OpenBSD on their laptop? Do you
or others
have a better way?

I don't need a server.
>cemu
Devs can't port it, but you can, alright.

not only it works extremely well in practice and near perfectly with many games, but it's accelerating at a great pace, meaning that yours statement will probably be obsolete in a few months. Which is not to say that
>also PS2 is probably the only console you can "reliably" emulate that was also made in the past 20 years
isn't technically correct, but in means that in practice that is going to change very very soon anyway

not sure why it's not targeted more, 'cause it's popular among web servers and now the wild wild west of iot devices. probably just laziness.

you would need to find a way to write a script that could detect if another network is within reach and automatically connect to it

there must be a way

>proud of supporting sony
how can people be retarded this much??
pcworld.com/article/3147311/security/backdoor-accounts-found-in-80-sony-ip-security-camera-models.html

I think there is something like that already that I saw on daemonforums, but it was only for wifi networks or something. I'll work it out but was hoping there was an existing solution. Besides this, I love OpenBSD. Need to update to 6.1 soon

> Apple uses your components in their proprietary Mac OS
Nope, it doesn't.

oh so you mean an easy way to swap between wi-fi and ethernet? i think you could create a bridged connection for that

>but it was only for wifi networks or something
Whoops I meant it was only for open wifi networks, I'm zonked. I will follow a different procedure with WPA enterprise, since I have the username and password stored in a wpa_supplicant config file.

Leaked documents showed that there is literally a backdoor in the CPU of every computer on the planet and you're whining about this?

Nobody is saying that, you fucking nigger-monkey.

In fact, you're agreeing with his point - that you do not have the freedom to dictate what others do with their copies, and you do not have the freedom to restrict others' freedoms.

>some people want to enslave you
>what should I do?
>of course I need to help them?
typical bsdcuck

yes it's the fault of BSD devs that sony puts backdoors in their IP cameras

It's the fault of bsd devs that sony used bsd fork PS4. Sony should die and bsd devs help it.

learn how to fucking write

>Nobody is saying that
gnutards are saying that

Use Linux. You're not doing anything on bsd that can't do on Linux

Yes you are. You're not using a shitty OS. You can't do that on Linux.

and people say that redhat doesn't hire shills

It's fun learning about different systems, that's why I'm using it :)

learn how not to be a cuck and how not to do bad things