Electric jet!!

anyone have seen this thing in person? hype or for real?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5VEBKY6Wk
youtube.com/watch?v=GSllkFWVhJI
youtube.com/watch?v=egQjtm1ToB0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks like its made out of computer case fans, I doubt it'll fly.

Looks shit.

as real as hover boards

is this CGI?

Forced perspective.

Yes, most people who follow aviation technology have already written off the Lilium as a fraud

>we totally have a new battery technology that is far better than battery technologies we are currently using in everything today that will enable our craft to achieve much greater ranges than anything else
Utter bullshit.

I'm pretty sure that is an smallish RC plane with way that takes off and flies. Notice there is nothing in the video which would give you a true sense of scale.

Can't wait for ThunderC00k to cover this scam.

add in 300lbs of humans, 100lbs of avionics and 300lbs of batteries (if you want to go anywhere) and tell me how well it flies

I bet that thing weighs 100lbs all in and can only fly for 5mins on the batteries it carries

I had a girl once. She's gone.

>I had a girl once. She's gone.
wat

>electric jet
>electric
>jet
Holy shit fucking kill yourself

There is nothing to stop someone from making an electric jet (turbofan) engine

youtube.com/watch?v=GSllkFWVhJI

>300lbs of humans
Just don't sell it in murica then

Can you imagine women and asians driving these?

two 150lb persons would not mean fat people

I remember that semi-joke cameo scene in Iron Man 2 where Elon Musk says he has an idea for an electric jet, and now there actually is one.

>I remember that semi-joke cameo scene in Iron Man 2 where Elon Musk says he has an idea for an electric jet, and now there actually is one.

where is your god now?

I think it looks pretty cool. Why is everyone shitting on it?

>I think it looks pretty cool. Why is everyone shitting on it?

because it won't work if by "work" you mean "carry people and go 10 miles"

This doesnt make much sense. Bigger fans would generate more lift.

The thrust from a fan is something like
C p A v^2

where C is some coefficient for small fans at most C=0.05. p is air density ( p = 1.225 at sea level) , v is tip speed, A is area of rotor disk. At the start of
we see some people working on the model. A human in that picture is at most 3 fans wide. Lets just say thats about ~30cm making them 10cm fans so A=0.007. Lets give them a very generous 1000 rpm which is about v=500m/s. So a thrust from a single fan is about 100 N. There appears to be 36 fans so 3600N of thrust. So hovering it can support 367 kg. If it wants to be able to move the mass must be less.

Hence its probably possible for it to get off the ground and fly around for a few minutes. I dont see it carrying a person.

It gets worse if they are (turbofan) jet engines doesn't it? Because in those you need an area around the fan that additional air gets sucked through to generate more thrust without expending more energy, right?
By using much smaller fans the efficiency for these "jet" engines would be much lower than achievable with larger engines, I think.

They look like ducted fans. But yes, lots of smaller fans I thought was much less efficient than having several large ones.

Smaller fans might not be as much of a meme as you think.
This thing has 24 electric fans and DARPA is now moving on to building a full sized version of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=egQjtm1ToB0

It does make sense when they form wings.
Its just that it will have limited endurance. A drone version makes sense cause you dont have to carry people.

What's the advantage of a bunch of smaller fans vs. 2-4 big ones, apart from redundancy? Seems like nearly every performance metric would be worse with small fans.

fitting into the wing like that so it can tilt

>jet engines

if it runs off of electric then it is nolonger a jet, thats like saying an electric combustion engine.

also
>computer fans

>I doubt it'll fly.

hmm
nobody in it

DARPA studied basically the same thing and found it to be worse than a helicopter at hovering and worse than a plane at flying fast, but overall better at doing both.

It should be fairly simple to calculate if this is utterly hogwash by calculating the disk loading. IE how much weight is spread out over the area of the propellers. If the disk loading is ridiculous, it needs to move air very fast to stay up meaning lots of power.

That's just a model being flown remotely.
Nothing different from a drone.

>DARPA studied basically the same thing and found it to be worse than a helicopter at hovering and worse than a plane at flying fast, but overall better at doing both.
dubs for truth, but posting such even if was there is not allowed senpai.

dont forget important funding is where it belongs at Rolls Royce for 1st gen tech coming soon.

Ho boy what a nice investment scam. Protip: They're looking for that sweet DoD investment since they'll throw money at anyone.