Dental Hygiene Thread

Sup Sup Forums, I want to use the power of ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY to make sure my teeth don't rot out of my skull before 30. Sure, flossing, mouthwash, brushing, etc they're all good but they don't require electricity, so fuck that noise amirite?

Any recommendations for water picks / electronic toothbrushes?

There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting except removing them and replacing with prosthetic.
source:I'm dentist and meet ppl that spend hour cleaning theyr teeth each day and still get issues.

No electric shit. Just a stiff brush, and paste every second day.
Over polishing wears down the enamel.
Feel free to brush with plain water as much as you like.
Flossing is a meme, than can actually chip your teeth. Just use a wooden pick no more than once a day.

>before 30

pls read ty

>stiff brush

don't hard bristles wear down the enamel too?

>Flossing is a meme

That's why I'm asking about water flossing.

I'm going into an extraction tomorrow for a crowding wisdom tooth. What kind of painkillers should I get? Vicodins? Percocets? Do you think I can just get them to give me an oral syringe filled with morphine that I can shoot right into my asshole?

>a stiff brush
will tear up your gums
always use a soft or extra-soft brush

chances are they'll give you tylenol-3 and send you on your way

hmm, how about an ultrasonic toothbrush?
or has that already been done?

Well it's just my regular dentist. I think he made a policy change to only prescribe vicodin though some years ago because I went back a year ago for a bad filling and I asked for percocets. Dude tried pushing some muscle relaxers on me so I just took what he'd give me.

>don't hard bristles wear down the enamel too?
Plastic V enamel. Do the math.
Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
>That's why I'm asking about water flossing.
Water flossing can lead to gum disease by forcing crud into them. The shit between your teeth will fall out naturally with enzymes, and brushing.
Sure if ya have a chunk of meat stuck get that out with a pick.

>Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
Are you stupid

I feel like "soft" and "medium" toothbrushes are a meme to cause more people to get cavities and gingivitis because they don't clean worth a damn.

Brush ONLY with a hard bristle toothbrush and DO NOT use toothpastes with triclosan, that shit literally causes cancer.

Fact: Our body's get stronger with case hardening.
Stop being a pussy foot.

My teeth have been stained by years of drinking pop. I've cut back, but I really hate my smile because of it. Do those whitening things from Crest actually work?

>Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
Hard bristles can damage the gums, continued damage can cause receded gums and other issues. Stop it.

The whitening paste by colgate worked for me. Going back 10 years ago was $30Aud for a 15ml bottle or someshit.
Try charcoal if you can't afford the stuff.

I just use the cheapest electric toothbrush that my supermarket sells. All I need it to do is multiply the motion of my hand.

That's it. Everything else is manual. Floss, anti-plaque rinse (basically liquid toothpaste), brush, tongue scrape, mouthwash. I've never had a cavity.

If you brush the fuck out of them three times a day like a OCD faggot.
Once a day is fine without abusing the gums themselves.
Moderation in all things user.

Cost isn't an issue for me but I still don't wanna overpay for something that doesn't work.

enjoy having no teeth in 10 years.

You'll likely just get T3's. That's what I got for my wisdom teeth. For my tonsils a year later I was given liquid morphine (wasn't that great since I had a pretty decent tolerance already from being an IV drug user).

Oh and like others are saying I use soft heads on the brush. The movement alone is what dislodges the gunk, not the force of the bristles. Debris and plaque are squishy so soft bristles are enough. The only time I'd use something hard is against something hard and the goal is to clean my teeth, not remove them.

I almost forgot.
Do not brush every day, you will wear down your enamel.
Also, replace your brush every 2 months, toothbrushes become completely ineffective after regular use because your teeth are polishing the till they become useless and have no abrasive action.

flossing is not a meme. floss and smell it.

>you'll get T3s
I don't think he even prescribes T3s. When I had my bad filling replaced, he gave me Vicodins (I had also developed an abscessed by that point though).

In either case, I'm just going to say codeine makes me feel unusually nauseous and that I really need something for the pain because I'm studying for my GREs (which is true).

>wasn't that great since I had a pretty decent tolerance already from being an IV drug user
Oh man what a bummer. That's why I can't ever do an opiate after a script. I don't want to lose the magic of the nod.

the abrasive action is from the toothpaste not the brush you moron

Your gums need a good vigorous rub every now and again.
Of course, if you're bloodying up your gums 3 times a day and fraying your brush you won't have any teeth in short order.

I did several times and all is fine. What you're smelling is quantity caused by widening the gaps in your teeth. You fucked yourself over by falling for the stereotypical morning routine placed in media.

Not that user but it's relative. Relative to the gunk on your teeth, the brush alone is plenty abrasive. Hell you can even wipe much of that crud off with a napkin and your finger. The toothpaste is foremost a detergent to loosen the biofilms which bond more strongly, and secondarily to introduce an abrasive which can work the enamel since brushes obviously can't.

Flossing does two things:
Gets stuck debris out of in between and off the sides of your teeth and stimulates the gums at the base in between teeth. Even if you don't get food stuck (which I don't believe), you'll still want the stimulation on your gums.

I didn't want to get braces when I was a kid because they wanted to pull out 2 teeth that wouldn't fit at the front of my mouth.

At least they're healthy~

Do you rape people when sedated?

I use a water pick when I shower. It's basically pressure washing your teeth and works as a flossing method. Tickles the shit outta the gums the first few weeks but then you get used to it. My dentist can't get over how little plaque I have since I started using it a few years ago

Either get a Sonicare or stick with a stiff brush.

> tfw used to gargle soda as a kid
> tfw parents never bothered
> tfw that eroded my teeth a little
Did that until my dentist noticed the erosion and asked if I gargled soda, damn, thanks to her I'm not without teeth, but it's pretty yellow and sometimes it hurts when I drink acid juices and shit.

How fucked am I /sci/?
> pic related

brushing with paste every time is actually fucking retarded, it will thin the hardest part of your teeth and make them more susceptible to damage..
i mean, how do you think toothpaste makes your teeth white? It scrapes off the outer layers of enamel.

My wisdom tooth has a decay(hole) in it. Should I just get it filled? or just extracted?

>how do you think toothpaste makes your teeth white?
By scraping off surface depositions. No, toothpaste is not abrasive enough to remove enamel. This is also why toothpaste cannot remove stains which have penetrated into your enamel. For that you need chemical agents which can diffuse into the enamel and break up discoloring molecules therein.

Better pic, also, what are those black points on the bottom right? Did I just get caries?

ITT: Sup Forums argues with an Englishman

And yet there are skeletons that are thousands of years old with all their fucking teeth.

>There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting

Lots of things are possible. They may not, however, provide the workings of a profitable industry and put your kids through college though.

Tldr. I hate know-it-all medical professionals with a authoritarian mindset and speak the beaurocratic wisdom from their topdown no-innovation industry. The whole god damned lot of you can fuck off.

>There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting
Sure there is. Stop consuming sugary foods and especially drinks, and eat mainly whole, unrefined foods and drink water and your teeth can last a long, long time.

i went for some teeth work recently and they gave me norcos .

brush your teeth every day
don't drink soda drinks and acidic drinks

Your teeth are infinitely better than mine. I'd post a pic but then I'd rather not.

This thread is unsettling - brush once a day, paste is bad, and don't floss? Who the fuck raised you

i brush with a hard brush twice a week and I haven't had any cavities since I was 5

>flossing is a meme
Guy who was lazy on flossing for years here. Most definitely is not a meme as now I have early stages of periodontal disease. No cavities or anything mind you since I brush my teeth once to twice a day. Not flossing will certainly negatively affect your gums. Just because you take care of your teeth doesn't mean your good. Without taking care of your gums you can still lose your teeth. Supposedly that's what happens in late stage periodontitis disease.

Hence use a stiff brush...

take lots of random vitamins we haven't studied because a few trials have shown that some of them cause dentin to regrow, like K2.

probably too much acidity in your diet
that or something's fucking with the bacteria in your mouth which is eating away at/preventing your gums from growing back.

please do it

No one here is a dentist but yes those are most likely carries. Many times it's nothing to worry about, but you can also have a dentist to some surface etching and layer with either composite or sealant depending on the depth.

No sense worrying user, what's done is done. Just do your best to continue with good habits.

You can always try that European toothpaste with NovaMin that's supposed to really re-mineralize your teeth, it definitely works better than Sensodyne for me at making my teeth less cold sensitive.

I have a crown it's weird as fuck lat year I got it and at times I feel like my crown is going to pop off or something sometimes. I meant we this to the dentist and he felt around and said that it wasn't moving. Yet to this day when I wake up sometimes I feel like the thing is going to come off or move. I don't get it.

Do dentists drill little holes in the enamal of a heatlthy tooth, for future revenue stream?

water picks don't work.. flossing builds callus like digging a ditch does without gloves on a shovel.. it'll strengthen your fucking gums nerd

>> tfw used to gargle soda as a kid
What.

The only way to win is to not play this game.
Im almost 40 and i rarely brush my teeth. I have no cavities, just tartar buildup i clean once 3 months.

What fuck your teeth is the ((tooth paste)) and the brush jews invented.

residual pain from the original removal
your body is trying to oust the fake teeth knowing it's fake
the bloodflow around the fakes are causing the pressure you're feeling
hmm so many ways

assholes tell other assholes that arm n hammer soda or whatever the fuck
will whiten your teeth if you rinse with it.

really it damages your teeth and just isn't worth vanity.

Yes charcoal is a god send for whitening.

Take two aspirins (600mg salicyl, 600mg ibuprofen), refresh every 6 hours as needed, knockouts are for faggots and tend to make it worse anyway (as you won't notice that your dentist fucked up)

If they give you antibiotics they are a fraud, pain and swollenness is pretty natural after hammering, drilling and forcibly removing a tooth

t. Living in a household with oral/maxillofacial surgeons

Enjoy fucking up your gum

>Im almost 40 and i rarely brush my teeth.
Your breath must be so bad. Bet you could choke a moose with it.

Electric toothbrush. I use Oral B Braun but haven't used other ones so I can't say it's the best. But it is WAY better than a normal non electric toothbrush. It does more in 2 minutes than I can with a conventional brush in 5. It's a difference between the dentist saying I need to brush better, and asking how I hardly have anything to scrape even in the hard to reach places everybody has plaque.

Use a SOFT brush head. My dentist always emphasizes this. Stiff brushes tend to damage the teeth more.

Floss. I use plain old store brand waxed floss. I've tried Glide, Reach and unwaxed. It ultimately doesn't seem to make much difference. Use whatever feels better for you. There's also those flosser pick things if you hate regular floss off a spool.

Flossing technique. Be careful to get around both sides of each tooth, not just into and out of the gap between them. It's like get the floss into the gap, then push your fingers back and down to the gum, then up again, forward and back down to the gum. This cleans the narrow pockets between tooth and gum, so they don't grow and you won't need to have a dentist stitch them up later.

Fluoride rinse. My dentist suggested I get some of this stuff when I had a questionable cavity they were going to monitor. Previous to this, I had a cavity that needed filling approximately every two 6-month visits. I've been using it for about 4 years now and haven't had one filling since, not even that pre-cavity they were monitoring.

Grind your teeth at night? Get a night guard. The professional ones are expensive but you can get something almost as good from Amazon for cheap. They come as trays you put in boiling water to soften and then mold around your teeth.

Whitening strips are a maybe. They're really more cosmetic than anything related to actual health. I tried them once and they left my gums kind of sore for a week. I just use the whitening toothpaste.

again
Also brush your tongue. It doesn't have to be anything other than a quick go-over. It helps with bad breath and stops it getting gross.

Sideeffects from the NSA tracking device they planted in your cavity

The yummy smell of cum will override that easily

this
your breath is always going to smell bad no matter what regardless

I see thanks

Wouldn't surprise me.

brushing my tongue causes me to vomit

what do

Get a spare brush for your tongue and don't use toothpaste on it

Don't brush so far back then.

Then I can't brush at all because anything past the very tip causes that

Then don't. It's not vital to your dental health. If you have bad breath, use other methods to combat it like Listerine.

This is the worst fucking thread on Sup Forums, I checked.

>Flossing
Take your pick from flossing, using toothpicks/softpicks, or interdental brushes. They serve the same purpose, and some people can do better with one tool than the other.

I've been using softpicks for a while now to keep tartar buildup in check, which normally gets quite out of hand. Ever since those picks though I've barely had any tartar buildup.

Dentist larp confirmed

>not brushing with charcoal

>paste every second day

Gross.

DONT LISTEN TO DENTISTS

ITS A SERVICE BASED INDUSTRY

THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT NOVAMIN AND RECALDENT FUCK THE DENTISTRY CABAL

Morphine

This.
I used to know a guy who brushed three fucking times a day. His teeth were so fucking weak he chipped the front teeth by biting a towel. Not only that but his teeth were already yellow from rubbing off the enamel.

That's baking soda though, it's not even acidic or sweet.

I found Chinese mint makes plaque fall off your teeth.
Just munch on a leaf or two.

Fuuuuck I just removed my first non-wisdom teeth and it sucked, I am 26, feel retarded as fuck.

Sugar is literally cancer

it's very rough stuff
imagine taking sandpaper against your teeth.

Bros please help. When I was younger I had terrible oral hygiene, I didn't brush for days, and did it poorly when I did. This has caused me to have bad breath my whole life.
This was many years ago and the past few years I've been trying really hard to get rid of bad breath. I use expensive Crest Pro Health paste, and alcohol free Pro Health mouthwash. I brush twice in the morning, scrape my tongue, and use the mouthwash. I do the same at night but only one brush instead of two.
I also chew gum through the whole day.
It's gotten much better but I am not there yet. Probably is still relevant.

What did he mean by this?

I've never learned the nitty gritty about how teeth operate and how things affect them. Does enamel grow back? I see certain mouthwashes being advertised as strengthening enamel. Does that mean enamel regenerates?

What about calcification? If there's a way to get rid of that it would be nice.

And what's all this about fluoride? What does it actually do? I know it helps teeth and whatnot, but I'd like to know by what mechanism this is accomplished.

Lastly, what's the name of the strain of bacteria in our mouths? Where does it even come from?

Oh yeah, I lightly chipped my front tooth today and now it hurts a bit when I bite things. I ask all who have experienced such a thing to share their solution.

The problem is when the PH of the saliva gets very low or acidic which corrodes the tooth enamel.
Cum has high PH.
So suck some cock you faggot OP in order to balance PH in your mouth, you fag.

Amazing (ly bollocks) thread
Phillips vibrating sonic card toothbrush pretty good
Humans are supposed to spend their lives chewing tough materials but as we instead live on baby-food and cake our gums contract and teeth crowd, chew plastic bottle caps or get braces in later life to adjust for this modern change in our lifestyle, giving space between your teeth with vastly lower the likelihood of inter-dental cavities.
Flossing is fine, there's little evidence to support its use.
Mouthwash and bad breath were literally invented by Listerine to scare people and sell trash, yes people still have bad breath due to a mixture of bad food, bacteria (some of which can't be changed)
Brush your teeth with non-fluoride at night because consumption of this heavy metal poison causes brain, bone and unborn-developmental defects.
Brush with a flouride toothpaste in the morning but rinse thoroughly and don't swallow anything. Our modern lifestyle teeth need the hardening assisted by flourification, it binds with calcium.
Metal fillings are full of mercury which is still poisonous. If you must have fillings then try to maximize composite and ceramic.
Get dental x-rays at-most one pair per decade. I don't need to tell you the effects of ionizing radiation.
The overpolishing meme has some basis. There are various toothbrushes for various purposes. Research it.
Teeth can repair themselves. If you teeth are carefully cleaned and no brutalised by shit food and thrice-daily brushing then they work to repairs themselves.
Many pre-refined-sugar civilisations spent their whole lives with perfect teeth, especially Romans. They lived on whole-grains (NOT cereal), fruit, vegetables, some meat. Grow the fuck up, you don't need candy or sugar water.
Drink smoothies through a straw.

Ask me anything. I might answer.

>chew plastic bottle caps
so i'm not the only one who does this

Yeah but plastic heats up when you chew it and many plastics release their chemicals when deformed and or heated.

already available but fucking expensive.

I use philipps sonicare around 35 buck on amazon, best shit ever

my dentist only give me Anti-inflammatory drugs