/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 and i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 3/5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 570/80 4GB if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX470/570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand loyalty. Sometimes the part you need is from the competitor you hate.
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Don't buy MATX cases unless space restricted, sometimes mid-towers can be cheaper and better quality.

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/64GwXH
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RNTNFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/N6yVTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/TbrnJV
wccftech.com/amd-confirms-rx-vega-launching-quarter-showcases-running-8k-video-editing/
pcpartpicker.com/b/ffsJ7P
ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QHD2710R-MULTI-27-inch-2560x1440-LED-QHD-Matte-VGA-DVI-HDMI-Remote-Monitor-/262158013257?hash=item3d09d5d349:g:GtwAAOSwgyxWUsYc
pcpartpicker.com/list/377c7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/qQrnJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/BZgh8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/zX42NN
pcpartpicker.com/list/pT8CVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/gdKdYr
youtube.com/watch?v=ycki6Dog4Mk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pcpartpicker.com/list/64GwXH
Recommendations? 1600 non-X memes need not apply

Bump

>Buying discrete graphics
Lol

>germoney
>800 bucks max, lower prefered
>gaming non aaa titles (heroes of the storm, starcraft 2, diablo 3, civ 5)
>browsing
>programming
>dual booting windows and linux

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RNTNFd

Some user suggested to go for a mATX case since it's also a mATX mainboard so I swapped the fractal one in.
MSI mainboards are supposed to be bad? I went for the asrock pro 4 instead and also switched out the psu for a semi modular one.
The gpu is a placeholder since I'm currently waiting for the release of the rx 560 to see how it performs.
Any suggestions? Brands I should avoid because they are shit after all?

Obligitory best build

Oops forgot link
pcpartpicker.com/list/N6yVTH
Goodnight

meh

pcpartpicker.com/list/TbrnJV

Gaymurr here looking for (You)'s

i5-7600K for $325AUD or i7-7700K for $479AUD, almost exclusively for gayming.

I was leaning towards the i7, then the i5 looked decent, then the header of this general says that i5s aren't worthwhile anymore. Thoughts?

>says that i5s aren't worthwhile anymore.
That's because of the (6 cores) amd ryzen cpu offering similar / better gaming performance, better power consumption, runs cooler, more multitasking & overclock isn't locked for the same or very close prices

7700k is kinda overkill for just gaming, you'd need to have a 144hz screen or do esport to justify it. It's the best gaming cpu period and there's no doubt no matter what gpu you pair it will, it will be bottlenecked.

> That's because of the (6 cores) amd ryzen cpu offering similar / better gaming performance, better power consumption, runs cooler, more multitasking & overclock isn't locked for the same or very close prices
Snap. I already purchased the LGA1511 motherboard and I'd rather not fuck around with the RMA process.

Might just bite the bullet and get the 7700K, secure in the knowledge that I should be fine for a fair while into the future.

So I have a 1360 x 768 monitor and two lines have appeared on it (vertically) doesn't really distract me but I want to use this as secondary montior.
Should I buy a 1440p or 1080p? I don't game much(just spaceengine), don't do much color intensive work, just programming. And I'm learning a CAD program next semester. What monitor/graphics card would you suggest?

sorry for my english still learning
korean schools don't teach proper english don't blame me

1440p and a 1050ti/RX 570. Maybe a 1060 or a 580 if the money isn't an issue. 1440p gives you a lot more room for CAD and other programs. The 1050ti/570 have enough processing power to handle games at 1440p with medium settings. The 580 and 1060 definitely have enough power for 1440p non max settings.

So I'm stuck between future proofing either my CPU or my GPU for my first build. Will either get an R5 1600+RX 570 combo or an R5 1500X+RX 580 8GB combo. Which one should I get?

what do I upgrade my i5-4690k to? straight to 7700k or make a switch to r5/r7?

Vega apparently launching *this quarter*, which should confirm it for 1-2 months from now.
Source:

wccftech.com/amd-confirms-rx-vega-launching-quarter-showcases-running-8k-video-editing/

Are the reference cards made by AMD usually good for cooling and silence, or should I wait for other manufacturers to bring their (usually) better cooling solutions out on the market?

Is there a bit performance different between an over clocked 7600k and a locked i5 6500?

The only good reference cards in the last few years from either AMD or Nvidia are the fury x and pro duo. All others are shit.

pcpartpicker.com/b/ffsJ7P

The pics don't really make sense, I uploaded them before i made changes. The parts list is accurate though. I'm new to the board, so it's be interested to hear opinions on what to change as I'm ready to spend more on it

thanks user

>4 months old

Theoritically yes there is one
Realistically you're gonna get bottlenecked by your GPU unless you have a high refresh rate screen & the gpu to go with it, so very little chance of there being a difference in your setup assuming you have the average rx 480 / gtx 1060 one or less

Is it possible to build a $100-$200 mini itx HTPC?

Something that I can install windows 7 and take to places to show movies and slideshows. No rendering, No gaming, only 1080p movies and slideshows.
The smaller and more portable, the better.

I spent about $300-$350 or so AUD on mine, and that handles everything I need it to. I just need to upgrade the HDD and I'll be set for years to come.

You probably can drop the price even lower if you super want to.

Yeah. Just search Newegg's embedded section. Some of these have the same processor as my Chromebook, which can handle 1080p video playback. m.newegg.com/ProductList?canPowerSearch=True&powerSearchParams={"CategoryId":20,"StoreId":1,"SubcategoryId":446}&isFirstin=false&description=p%2bmSD03xMzhVWzOyB8jgs7BKQEzYKi5tVRQhw%2fse4rc%3d&storeid=1&categoryid=-1&nodeid=7623&storetype=2&subcategoryid=446&brandid=-1&nvalue=100007623&showseealldeals=False&itemcount=0&issubcategory=true&level=3&Form Factor||Mini ITX=||600009028||Power

>So I have a 1360 x 768 monitor and two lines have appeared on it (vertically)
GPU is dying.

So is that too old to ask questions or too new?

whichever Ryzen is on sale, 1600 to 1700

Help guys?

First one if your monitor is 1080p.
6 cores, 12 threads, and TDP is fucking 65W only

Future proofing isn't real, but what are you going to use it for in this future

I don't even have a GPU haha
ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QHD2710R-MULTI-27-inch-2560x1440-LED-QHD-Matte-VGA-DVI-HDMI-Remote-Monitor-/262158013257?hash=item3d09d5d349:g:GtwAAOSwgyxWUsYc
This one good? Local so no extra shipping charges

>Future proofing isn't real
Tell that to my GTX 680.

What is this generations 3570k and 760 combo? Is it 7600k/1060?

Main use is 144hz 1080 gaming. No 3D or VR.

>nzxt cooler
do not buy anything from nzxt that isn't a case. their cooling/lighting products rely on their dumpster fire software. they have a bug tracker that's full of issues and the nzxt subreddit is nothing but complaints about how shit the software is.

Oh fuck, they weren't a meme?
I don't have to regret buying a 680 back then anymore?

I will remember that next time i think it's not real. My mistake

>that contrast ratio
Colors are going to look terrible on that.

I want to build a cheap PC around by old AMD 7800 GPU, but I don't know how to measure CPUs alongside GPUs. What's a good CPU that can complement it fine without bottleneck?

I've been sitting happy with a GTX 680 for 4 years now and never wanted another GPU.

But it was overpriced when I first bought it. If you can get over that rough, awkward honeymoon with the price, eventually the hardware becomes a sweet lover that never leaves you and you never leave it and you grow old together.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/64GwXH
>RAZOR
man what a fine choise, enjoy this high quality product my friend :)
>zotac ssd
sandisk(now WD), crucial or samshill is the way to go

My PC is in dire need of an upgrade.
Would upgrading to an i5 7500 CPU and B250M Mortar Motherboard be a good investment? If not, what should I consider instead?
Currently own a GTX 1060 GPU.

around last week or so I've upgraded to a 7500 with a b250 mobo, I've ran into no issues that I can link directly to the cpu or mobo and so far it works pretty well. my only regret is that I've ran out of reasons to use intel over Ryzen and I question if I made the right choice. right now I just shrug it off as "I'll turn back to amd once they have a full range of gpu and cpu options".

im going through MSI's warranty bullshit.

Has anyone gone through an RMA process with them?
Are they good? Do they fixed used GPUs?

curious, what were the issues you encountered?

well for one, most of the time when I boot, the computer does not display and needs to be booted up multiple times to finally get working. (actually now that I think of it, that could be linked to the mobo), the debugger led's on the mobo say it's a vga issue but I'm not entirely sure how to go about fixing it. I did not do a fresh install on windows and only reset it, even then it could not finish properly, I wonder what issues could rise from that.

I have that problem with my current build. Sometimes it takes a while to boot or it refuses to boot at all. Are you using a 1060 too? Do you think it could be a fault with the GPU?

pcpartpicker.com/list/377c7h

How did I do?

I use an r9 270x, I can't link the issue to the gpu with the same certainty because with my previous am3+ board I did not have this issue. The changing factors were the cpu, mobo, and windows. I do't think the cpu is at fault, so to me it's either the mobo or something wrong with windows.

Hello boys, I'm saving up my wagecuck money to buy a new gaming computer! And I need your help, Sup Forums, to find the cheapest, most reliable, custom-built computer parts anyone could ever acquire to assemble into a PC. So, any suggestions?

add one or two more gpu's and monitors and you're good.

can save up some money on the mobo and desu at your budget going ryzen might be better, but otherwise it's fine

Read the sticky.

Austrian here, I really don't mean to play much just Rocket League and some racing games and am looking for a 1080p machine that won't feel like I overspent my money.
I would like to have a ryzen but I feel it's more of an emotional urge having had Athlons in my youth, I realize I won't stream, I am not a programmer, workstations are not for me. Don't want to wait for ryzen 3.

he's bullying you for getting something razer and recommending you to get a sandisk, western digital, crucical or samsung ssd

Well shit, guess you can't be of any help then. Oh well, I suppose I'll need to ask Sup Forums then, but they're really immature about alot of things.

we're not here to do the job for you, stop being an entitled little fuck and get the fuck out of this board

go for the 1500X unless you are doing compute benchmarks or are frequently megatasking

holy fuck that timestamp

>we're not here to do the job for you, stop being an entitled little fuck and get the fuck out of this board
No need to be rude, friend, I was simply asking a question which I didn't know was N/A for this board. Calm down and take some chill pills, ffs.

r5 1600

Eh, overspending on CPU and maybe underspending a bit on gpu. I think you can get away with dropping down to something like a 1500x and spending a little more for a rx 570. Sure a 560 will be ok in the games you're currently playing, but if you see a new game you like and realize the 460 will be too weak for it, you will be awful disappointed.

Goal was a poorfag machine. Transplanted my old GPU, ram, and HDD. I already bought the parts so it's too late to go back, but anything is better than the CPU I had before.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qQrnJV

>the OP keeps getting manipulated.
Beware of Kikes

> I realize I won't stream, I am not a programmer, workstations are not for me
>rocket league at 1080p
Pentium g4560.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/64GwXH
that's a 4k monitor with a Rx 580. What the fuck are you doing?

Am I right in assuming that black friday/cyber monday is the best time of year to go parts shopping? I'm looking to put together a somewhat future proof build but I'm not picky on how soon I pull the trigger.

If not when is?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BZgh8K

Built my first ever computer and now I'm replacing weak points for longevity. How does this look?

Step aside g4560 corelets, here's how a real poorfa/g/ gets his gay men.
pcpartpicker.com/list/zX42NN

why would you do that to yourself? I've lived that poorfag life with the mindset of "oh, anything is better than what I have" and I suffered for the choices I made out of that mindset for years. do yourself a favor and save up for a decent pc with strong core parts, cpu, psu, mobo.

that cpu cooler is adorable

maybe he wants to do productivity stuff but play games at 1080p or something

i prefer the evga Gq 650 over the g2. 99% the build quality, almost $20 less. I shill it every thread that I get the chance. Also you could shave like $10 off by going with that Team 3000mhz ram in silver or red, which IMO would look snazzy with that asus motherboard. No led's though.

black friday or any holiday hasn't been the best time for buying any product, let alone hardware, for ages. the "best" time if you can call it that is when a competitor releases a new product that starts a price war or someone has a good rebate if you dont mind waiting 6 months for the check. if you really want to save money and time is not an issue you plug your desired items into something like camelcamelcamel and wait, in the meantime browse sites like slickdeals or any one of the various price/sale tracking services.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on going with full modular so I could change the PSU cabling, but I'm going to change out the plastic case window with solid metal anyways, so no point in it.

IIRC the only things that were even decent, let alone "great" deals, a couple very specific graphics cards, tvs, monitors, and maybe an SSD if you were lucky. Not worth waiting.

Not the person about to buy the 4K monitor, but it got me thinking.

Would playing games at 1080p on a 4K monitor look like shit?

It's not the monitors native resolution so I assume it would just look terrible, right?

Thanks,
in a neat little mini-itx with 1050ti or is 470/570 going togive a more well rounded unit?

>It's not the monitors native resolution so I assume it would just look terrible, right?
That's not how it works
The reason why upscaling generally looks shit is because it's done from 720p to 1080p or 1080 to 1440p. Think about it, how does upscaling works per pixel? Each pixel will be duplicated so that the image looks larger

But a pixel is a cube. You can make this cube bigger, by making it a 4 pixel cube, so you end up with four times the pixels count, aka 4K, and it looks the same as it would on a 1080p screen because every pixels ends up occupying the same amount of space
But what about the in betweens? 4k it's fine because it's 4x the pixel count of 1080p. What about 720p from 1080p? There's only 2x more pixels from 720p to 1080p, you can't make a cube with two pixels, it becomes a rectangle and doing this would distort the image completely. What happens is that some pixels are doubled and some aren't, and this is what makes the image blurry, because not every pixel ends up occupying the same space

720p to 1440p? Good, 4x the pixels, looks exactly like 720p
1080 to 4k? Good too
But 720p to 1080, 1080 to 1440 or 1440 to 4k (2160) will look blurry

pcpartpicker.com/list/pT8CVY

look ok for 1080p gayming and also rendering audio?

Yes, it will handle both great
Is the x370 really needed though? Do you intend to SLI/xfire or something?

Hey, I need to know that everything will fit in this case or if I'm gonna have to get a bigger one. Also, any suggestions or tips would be appreciated! Thank you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gdKdYr

youtube.com/watch?v=ycki6Dog4Mk
same cooler same case

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm still an amateur and the first time I built a PC I bought a cooler that was way too big.

why such an old case? there are much better ones that support that cooler way better for much cheaper.

As I said, I'm still really new to building PCs. What would you suggest? Thanks.

could switch that 1800x for a 1700 and set a 3.9 clock manually in bios because it's the same cpu with lower clocks, unless you're scared of manual overclocking or something

Also worth noting that 720p to 4k is exactly 3*3 or 9x pixels, thus fine too, making 4k display perfect choice for both 720p and 1080p content.

That sounds like some broscience-tier stuff. I'm not disputing you, but it sounds so simple and too easy, that I have a hard time believing you.

Although my brother is playing his PS4 on a 4K TV right now and it looks fantastic, so maybe you are right after all.

Good idea. I know how to manually clock, so thank you!

there's nothing really complicated about it
A pixel is a cube, you can't show a half pixel, so upscaling it would mean 4 pixels to form a bigger cube, or 9 for an even bigger, etc etc

there can't be in betweens

I'd save like 20 bucks if I drop down to the 1500x so I'm not sure if its really worth it considering that the 1600 is far better than the 1500x.

sure but this looks better
gaming 3 has the same audio chip as the x370 board

>A pixel is a cube, you can't show a half pixel
Depends on the definition of the pixel. If you define a pixel to be the smallest individual source of light on a display, then yes, you're correct. If you define a pixel to be a combination of let's say, RGB-leds, then it's a different case:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering

why pcpartpicker is so shit?

is there such a thing as good and cheap 240-250gb ssd?