Graphics on Linux

How well do the Nvidia cards work on linux? I've had multiple AMD cards and always had problems. I thought I was just shit at linux until I really started fiddling with it and it turns out AMD drivers are just dog shit. I'm thinking about jumping the AMD ship altogether and going straight Intel and Nvidia. Tell me Sup Forums what's your experience with this? Am I jumping from one pile of dog shit into another?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1710-cl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't have any problems with the open sauce radeon drivers.

Are you trying to play games or use wayland or something with the proprietary ones?

>I was just shit
k

I've tried both the open source and proprietary. I've found the open source to be much better. I have a 390x, which in hindsight was a mistake. I can't run shit all for emulators. The steam games that do run have annoying graphical errors, but most annoyingly of all I can't use VULKAN when I'm programming. Haven't touched wayland.

nvidia proprietary drivers works well and better than the open source one
amd open source drivers are the same if not better than the proprietary drivers
Nvdia GPUs will give you better performances.

Anyway, do not use the proprietary drivers for AMD

The 390x is giving you trouble with emulators? How?

Nvidia is the way it's meant to be played

The 390x still does not work properly on Linux

Proprietary Nvidia > Open Source AMD > Open Source Nvidia > Proprietary AMD

I heard about some of the 290 suffering from some weird regression and being somewhat unpredictable on Linux, but this is the first time I hear someone complain about the 390x. What's wrong with it?

Unfortunately for Linux Nvidia the best choice. Their drivers are much better performance wise.
AMD open source drivers work fine but they are always evolving so you are forced to have the latest mega/kernel to get those boons.

I have an Asus 390x and on Linux the fans do not work.
And if I manage to get them working it will always crash.

That was probably Michael from Phoronix, he did test lately and they are STILL there. I have a 290 and DID have some regressions with it on newer kernel versions (although it wasn't terribly crippling).

The proprietary AMD driver might not be the greatest thing, but putting it above the open Nvidia driver is a joke. Nvidia actively prevents work on the open driver with their signed firmware blob bullshit, recent Nvidia cards are barely usable as a result.

Proprietary: Nvidia best
Libre: AMD best

I just replaced my R9 380 with an GeForce 1060 because I don't wait for decent frame rates in Civilization VI any longer.

The open Radeon driver is excellent in many regards, no stability issues whatsoever, but some games run really slow on it.

>Nvdia GPUs will give you better performances.
lol, dumb shill
If by better, you mean taking twice as long to render, sure.

Oh, and the open Radeon drivers still don't have a working OpenCL implementation.

The proprietary Radeon drivers don't support distributions newer than Ubuntu 16.04 or CentOS 7.

The proprietary Nvidia driver has no problem with the latest Xorg or kernel.
Just updated to kernel 4.10.12 and Nvidia is working without any issues.

linux can't play games, so you'll be fine without your drivers

Yes, that's where I heard about it, too. His 290 is all over the place in some of his benchmarks. Michael said other 290 owners reported similar experiences.

That's strange. Are you sure this isn't just an issue with only your particular card? Does it behave the same when you boot into Windows (if you happen to dualboot)?

In video games the proprietary Nvidia driver will give you almost Windows-like performance, whereas the AMD drivers on Linux can be a bit of a mixed bag and are generally slower.

Haven't tried AMD under linux only windows. As for Nvidia their propriety driver worked reasonably well when I tested it, still had some issues with screen tearing and what not.

Currently running linux on my integrated GPU and passthrough my Nvidia GPU to a windows VM for games and applications/hardware that I can only run reliably on windows.
I get error code 43 in windows if I do not apply a simple one line workaround in the VM startup script because Nvidia decided to fuck with qemu since a lot of its business customers are buying the cheaper gaymen GPUs instead of their expensive quadro workstation cards.

>video games
dumbass.

It's stuff like this intentional error 43 gimping and Nvidia's behavior towards the Wayland devs that made me decide on AMD for my next build. With AMD you can at least fall back to the open driver if their company management decides to act like assholes, with Nvidia where only the closed driver works properly they pretty much have you by the balls.

>With AMD you can at least fall back to the open driver if their company management decides to act like assholes
AMD employees take part in open source driver

AMD's proprietary driver is long dead, good riddance to it.

AMD's OSS driver is a moving target. You want Linux 4.10, Mesa 17 and appropriate libdrm if you aim at doing more than shitposting or watching anime.

>AMD employees take part in open source driver
That's a good thing, retard.
If it's anything bad, it can be removed.

Why do you have to be mean user? i just wanted to inform you that they took part in the driver developpement so if they decided to act like assholes the developpement would slow down
i didn't imply it was a bad thing

o okay. here lemme give you a hug, cutie

I know and I think that's awesome, I was just saying that it's good to have options. With Nvidia, you depend on the closed driver, but with AMD the open driver is a viable alternative to the closed one (mostly). That guy is not me btw, I still like you user and appreciate that you try to inform your fellow Linux users.

sankyu!

>AMD's proprietary driver is long dead
Wrong
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx

>OpenCL on AMD
>working
Thanks for the laugh.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1710-cl

propriertary nvidia drivers have some dud releases from time to time. early 370.x something broke running multiple opengl programs at the same time, for example. but mostly they're leagues ahead of both fglrx (pure fucking garbage) and radeon+mesa.

no idea why you'd go Intel though. AMD cpu support have never been a problem.

>fglrx
This is 2017

I'm sorry, I switched to the open-source drivers (and later nvidia) a bit before the amdgpu pro stuff had support for my 7850

debian packaging for amdgpu is lagging behind. and if I select generic linux x86_64 then AMD's driver select page will still point you to the 15.12 catalyst/fglrx page (compared to selecting Ubuntu which will properly point you to the 17.10 amdgpu release)

I'm glad I don't have to touch that shit again.

No problems here with a 1070 and prop. drivers.

AMDGPU-Pro is decent now, but solely focused on the workstation business, only supporting LTS and enterprise distros like Ubuntu 16.04, Red Hat, CentOS and SuSE Enterprise Linux

I've been using nVidia cards on my Linux machine for the last 13 years, and they've always been rock solid.