What is the whole problem with systemd?

What is the whole problem with systemd?
I use Linux as my main OS 24/7 however I am not a sysadmin or anything special, I just do some programming in Java/Python/C++ and use the bash to write simple programs to facilitate my life.
Why do people say that systemd is bad? Should I even care? What does it even do for Crist sake?

Sup Forums doesn't like it because "d" is short for "dick" and it looks like a commie dick.

good point
so should I just not care?

No. It's just elitist bantz.

nope

it makes your life slightly worse in a lot of ways, and that may or might not add up to a lot of annoyances for you, and the devs are incompetent assholes.

you decide whether to care or not. if you never even noticed that systemd was there you probably don't need to care (yet, assuming you get more comfortable with linux and want to explore it more in depth; then you probably will care)

>bash
ewwww bloat

what does it do?
maybe I wanna study to become a sysadmin...

well yeah I know it's bloat,
but if I just need a quick way to run a couple linux commands and run other commands depending on the output, and I want it to be done automatically - bash is great for that

Systemd gathers under yourself numerous services which were independent programs before systemd.
If earlier fuck up in one program meant a fuck up of one part of loading process, now if there is a fuck up in systemd, it means it can fuck up all your system.

> you decide whether to care or not
As far as I know, the only considerable distro without systemd is Gentoo.

well I want to really get to know how to use linux and become a system administrator in the server environment

>As far as I know, the only considerable distro without systemd is Gentoo.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons for why I'm about to switch from arch to gentoo.

What I meant is that he doesn't necessarily need to get worked up about it just because Sup Forums says so.

rc is objectively superior

I was planning to move to Gentoo since you can really tailor the system for yourself,
however it may end up being another Sup Forums meme and I will just kill days of my time

from what
said I understood that systemd puts all the boot up processes together so if one fucks up, all fuck up
how does rc deal with this?

Dick fetish confirmed.

systemd is good, ppl are just trollin'

ps
if it makes you feel better - even torvalds likes it

Good at what?

Better diagnostics. MAYBE better (safer) daemon io handling.

journald is the problem with systemd, everything else is adequate
>binary logs

systemd = lazy developers pretending that Linux should be windows because "it's for the common people xD"

>What is the whole problem with systemd?
there is no "whole" problem with it, just lots of little ones that cluster up into a hairball.

>Why do people say that systemd is bad?
It solves a number of already solved problems, which begs the question, why was it created;

It expands the amount of code running as PID 1, which in a Unix or Unix-alike system (of which Linux is the later), potentially creates concern about overall system stability;

Its size is not suitable for embedded systems, which Linux has a large market in;

Because it takes many dis-separate systems and rolls them into a common codebase, which brings up questions about customizing modules that have been replaced by that common codebase;

It creates, through its own API, dependencies that make the "old" concept of portable software difficult, if not impossible, when written against systemd;

There are potential issues with how it handles logging, specifically handling of corrupt logs (and no, using the syslog shunt won't fix it);

The development team has a history of ignoring both user and developer concerns, and in some cases, reacting with hostile or passive-aggressive behavior to those claims, all while claiming to be victims of behavior similar to what they practice;

and finally, do your own research. A lot has already been written. I deal with production systems at work that use systemd, and non-systemd installations at home.

in other words: it was created to make linux worse and the german behind it is a cover so people pretend he is the one working on it.

systemd = an attempt to debase the independence and utility of Gnu Linux software so that developers become dependent upon an obfuscated and uncooperative 3rd party for even simple jobs. To turn the logistics of the Linux kernel into a ghetto like Android, slowing down development, by making an "easy" and appealing platform to develop on then slowly turning it into a pile of compromised shit, so that Linux is no longer a threat in the long term.

Why have so many distros adopted it then? Surely the dev team has no real influence on what packages the distro maintainers choose to use?

That's the question, isn't it?

There are really a shitload of good motives to hate on systemd, the most important ones are:
1. it reinvents the wheel many times
2. binary logs are fucking retarded
3. it does things that has nothing to do with init system
4. codebase is immense compared to any other init system, this makes it hard to audit and more prone to bugs

>It solves a number of already solved problems, which begs the question, why was it created;
to make it easier for distro developers, no one wants to deal with that shit

Get used to systemd because gentoo will always be autism, windows will always be botnet, and bsd will always be garbage.

systemd devs lack knowledge of basic linux commands, they try to be more than just init, and they broke stuff and refuse to fix it telling people not to do certain things.

systemd is actually just a way for RedHat to move in on yet another part of Linux. All the big contributors are from RedHat.

This upsets me

You can remove systemd form gentoo!

It is. Don't bother unless you love compiling everything...

Systemd is an init system. Basically the first process that runs on boot and facilitates things that the OS does when starting up and running.

People criticize systemd for its increasing scope and feature creep, arguing that it violates the Unix design philosophy that each program does one specific thing well.

Although for what you're doing it doesn't really matter and it might even make things easier for you.

At some point, you'll understand. It will just be a matter of time.

I fucking hate red hat, I hate even more the fact that other distro are eating their shit like candy (Debian)

systemd violates Unix principles of small, independent pieces. Which doesn't matter anyways, because if Linux actually claimed to follow Unix principles, it'd be a microkernel, and indistinguishable from other Unix systems.

systemd is uniquely Linux and does a lot of great stuff. It's similar to the svchost.exe processes in Windows, with a highly configurable setup. The biggest problem it has is the use of binary log files; other than that, it works great, and every distro worth its salt is adopting or has adopted it.

>CIA botnet

>I fucking hate red hat
THIS

BASED MICROSOFT.

>to make it easier for distro developers, no one wants to deal with that shit
what "shit" are you referring to? The init system? Process supervision? Boot time statistics? Logging? Timekeeping? Or any of the other myriad functions that systemd replaces?

What are we talking about?

>systemd violates Unix principles of small, independent pieces. Which doesn't matter anyways, because if Linux actually claimed to follow Unix principles, it'd be a microkernel, and indistinguishable from other Unix systems.

This argument again. Look, small independent pieces has nothing to do with the kernel design. Really, it doesn't. This isn't about how "A breaks assumption O, but because B isn't like O, we don't care about A". Where did we get off saying "A is very much like B" to begin with?

No, this is about portability. And that is something that people do care about.