VR

Is VR still a meme?

Yes

Thanks

Was.

No. Is.

no, its an overpriced meme

stupid post. its no different than asking Sup Forums "is sex a meme?" no one here has ever experienced it so we dont know

your post is a meme
VR is a 1st generation product

It's actually a several generations product and it's still shit.

Sony's first commercially available VR headset
HTC's first commercially available VR headset
Facebook's first commercially available VR Headset

We're in 2nd or 3rd gen VR now, it's never been good.

The Vive is actually quite good.
The problem is the price.
When the price goes down, more people will get it and we will get some proper AAA games built for VR.

So far we are only getting Doom and Fallout 4 which is ok it seems.

I'd recommend people with a VR headset to give Sairento VR a shot. Fantastic game thats made for VR.

The tech is no doubt better but it's just not better at anything. The real breakthrough of VR will have to be in the controls and I don't really see that coming anytime soon.

What about for daily use, rather than just gaming? I.e. replacing the desktop monitor

Except for simulation games, non-roomscale VR is pointless.

Totally useless for now. Microsoft is targeting this with their OEM headsets, look up the Mixed Reality Portal app available in the newest Windows 10 edition. Headsets should be released this year around $400 and have inside-out tracking.

Yes

Gaben gave a great interview just a couple months ago about how it's still niche and there aren't any real reasons to get it yet. He knows that the price is high but they have to keep it there until more people want it in general

they have 3 Full Length VR games in development, I'd bet 1-2 of those coincides with the release of a new VR headset at a price of $400 or less with at least 2-3k resolution per eye

>games

VR is games

this thread is Sup Forums, I gave a Sup Forums reply. If this thread gets deleted I won't care

well yeah, it's not actual virtual reality. ie: something hooking up to your brainstem and altering your reality. it's screens creating that illusion and it's still in early development/beta stage. I'd give it ten years.

Have you tried/managed to get any games to work on vive using stuff like Perception?

Is it ready for everyone? No.
Is it fun? Hell yes.

Different user, playing portal 2 now on dk2

I tried the Oculus Rift in a movie theater.

It was really blurry. And I felt like I was watching a video game.

It has always been a meme, nothing the avarage consumer ever will buy.

But it could be cool to further develop it for science research and for a possible way to educate people (thinking of future surgeons educating themselves trough simulating a surgery in VR)

It's not roomscale but I'm getting the Avegant Glyph and I'm hoping to hook it up to my Wii U to play Wii Sports. Is that any good?

Oh, sweet. There was some sort of small vr portal game on vive, was pretty fun. Seems like a good game for VR.

In the early 90s they had VR setups at my local arcade. Nobody played the VR games there either, higher resolutions aren't suddenly going to make it inherently playable it's just a kind of dumb idea for gaming.

I still actually want to have a full desktop sized screen in front of me while laying in bed though.

A dorm neighbor had an early edition of Oculus rift. Wasn't too impressed when I played some spooky maze game.

I really hope that the tech has advanced, otherwise it's gonna stay a meme.

>2013
HEY GUYS VR IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW WITH OUR MODERN TECH IT WON'T EVEN COST MORE THAN A CONSOLE
>4 years later
OK WE KNOW IT COSTS $800 BUT TRUST US THE GAMES ARE COMING WE PROMISE

You have to adjust it till they focus. I've use PSVR, and Oculus. you can't use glasses either

more of meme than my 21:9 monitor which gives a good FOV in games without wearing stupid shit on my head. waste of money, will go the same way as 3d films.

>OK WE KNOW IT COSTS $800 BUT TRUST US THE GAMES ARE COMING WE PROMISE
Still a massive improvement over the 90's VR prototypes. We're getting there.

What's improved other than screen resolution though?

ALWAYS A MEME

price, weight, tracking, latency. and it's not like resolution is unimportant.

it's not what was promised 4 years ago, that's all I care about

Other than weight I don't think any of the other stuff was really a problem before. Tracking wasn't even required, ala Virtualboy, it's not like neck-based control schemes are a good idea either just a side effect of massive weight decrease.

it's not just about control. you just want to be able to move your head. it's instinctive. it's better if the device responds to it.

Refresh rates and display latency. Which make a huge difference to how quickly, if at all you'll get motion sick.

Oops, meant to reply to

I can get motion sick on anything anyway, that's not really a worry. There's no use case for it beyond a virtual big screen for now though.

That's a thing I want but I don't find VR stuff to be much more immersive.

in order for a virtual big screen to work you need enough pixels to render the screen itself and then enough space to simulate a room and the size of the display

I'd say you need a 4k display to even properly display a large 1080p screen virtually if not more

someday we'll have 16k VR glasses to simulate having a 70inch 4k monitor

Once we get into those pixel regions the pixels will be used to generate light fields instead of discrete pixels.

it doesn't have to be high resolution big screen though, just big. there's a difference.

The games are here. Rec Room is god tier. Onward is pretty good. Elite Dangerous is supposed to be great with VR. Other vidya are decent. It will take years before a solid library gets built though, which by then there will probably be many times more VR owners than there are now. I already know of two people who have been waiting to get into VR for awhile but are only now getting close to having enough money for it.

There's a real estate company literally within walking distance from me that offers VR tours of their portfolio.

>Elite Dangerous
That should be a good example. Right now VR is basically enthusiast gaming equipment, like tricked-out joysticks and flight controllers. AAA titles will only have optional VR support if at all. VR-only games will be niche titles for quite some time.

It's not comparable with even casuals having beefy GPUs in their machines or a console in the living room.

Or that, professional and art uses.

There's an intermediate stage between "you can see some clunky prototypes at tech conventions" and "you can find one in every living room"