/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

ibiblio.org/refracta/
plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
aur.archlinux.org/israel-nuke
youtube.com/watch?v=cpVzC12GkM8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not an argument.

Third for Source Mage GNU/Linux

This pic is right though, people who feel entitled to everything expect everyone else to respect their property but conveniently forget the "social contract thing".

If you have shit, why would you not beat up a rich cuck and steal his shit? It's the sad reality of nature.

Reminder that property is theft.

Semi-GNU (almost 100% free software) based distros:
- Antergos
- Chakra
- antiX
- Salix

This. One can't be a free software enthusiast and defend the concept of "property" at the same time.

reminder that commies aren't people and should be shot on sight

Even Marx criticized the lack of logic in that statement. (Even if there is a poorly worded concept there that make sense. Which happens to be shit but whatever.)

Jewish Friendly Distros (with lots of spyware and crapware)
- Netrunner
- TrueOS
- Elementary
- Red Hat
- Fedora
- SteamOS
- deepin
-

Reactionary scum being violent and irrational as usual.

>Even Marx
Was he the one and only leftist thinker by any means?

>shooting commies
>irrational
it's an either/or kind of thing

>What is refracta?
Refracta is an operating system designed for home computer users. It provides a simple and familiar layout that most users will find very comfortable.
Refracta focuses on providing common applications and services that most users will need instead of trying to provide for more specialized uses. It provides a basic desktop with simple applications that are easy to use.

You do not need to install Refracta to try it out. You can run it entirely from the cd without making any changes to your current operating system. If you like it then you can install it in just a few minutes with a few clicks of the mouse.

The default install includes internet, graphic, multimedia, and office software along with various system tools and utilities. Hundreds more applications are available from a trusted source and can be quickly and easily installed.
ibiblio.org/refracta/

Your containment board is that way:

>Init Freedom

While Debian claims that “Systemd is becoming the de facto standard init system for Linux”, a number of GNU/Linux distributions, some new, beg to differ. While Debian claims that “It is better than existing alternatives for all of Debian’s current use cases”, these rebel GNU/Linux distributions refuse this one-size-fits-all vision of the *nix world that breaks portability, ignores backwards compatibility, and replaces existing services, forcing systemd into adoption.

Init Freedom is about restoring a sane approach to PID1, one that respects diversity and freedom of choice.

Although it’s true the venerable sysvinit has flaws that should be addressed in some way, systemd supporters wrongly claim that “systemd is overwhelmingly better than any existing alternative anywhere the technical architecture is involved.” The Init Freedom (IF) Campaign is here to disprove that claim.

>Alternate Init Systems

The following init systems are considered for inclusion in Devuan:

- sinit
- openrc
- runit
- s6
- shepherd

Each of them is a portable, compatible, small, fast, and secure alternative to systemd. None of them was considered by Debian as a replacement for sysvinit: instead they chose between systemd, sysvinit, and upstart, leaving the best options, in our opinion, off the table.

Blacklist from Devuan
The current blacklist is maintained in amprolla.conf:
>banpkgs: systemd,systemd-sysv

>implying Christian robocracy isn't the future
lol take a look at these fedora humanist plebs

whats wrong with systemd?

Comparing data and physical property is a false analogy. They are not even close to being the same thing.

Imagine: instead of being able to use the poisson distribution formula to find the number of independent events in a fixed time, you have to pay for a license for PoissonFormPro, enter your inputs, and then at the end you only get the answer, instead of a proof of why this important thing is true

Now imagine it's like this for all of math: nobody actually knows how to calculate the volume of anything, because that's handled by CalcPro, which is owned by the Newton-Liebniz corporation, and you just have to trust that they're right, and hopefully they are, or else the spaceship you're trying to engineer is going to blow up.

Software is 100% the same thing and it's disgusting on every intellectual level that presently some people are ignorant enough to think that this is okay.

An Operating System (OS) is a set of programs that provides an interface to the hardware part of the computer: resource, device, power, and memory management belong to the OS.

The core of the OS in charge of operating the circuitry and managing peripherals is called the kernel. The default flavor of Devuan comes with Linux.

The first process launched after the kernel is loaded into memory is called init. This process bearing PID 1 is in charge of services running on the system: it ensures they start in order, control they’re running fine, shut them down, and inherit crashed processes. This init process MUST not die, or the whole system goes away with it. Therefore Devuan recommends using lean init systems that do one thing, and do it well. By default Jessie runs with the same init system as Debian Wheezy, the venerable sysvinit. Several projects are under way to provide runit, and sinit support in Devuan, as well as openrc and s6.

Services take care of normal functionality of your system: networking, logging, authentication, language, dictionary, search, software updates, printing, graphical display, etc.

that anti-systemd crap is annoying

Hi, Lennart.

what's the point a forking a project that only some days ago left beta state?

Hi Lennart Goldberg

can someone explain me why Linus hates EFF?

What's stopping you from coming up with your own version of calculus? Patents are evil, not people owning their own creation and distributing it as they like.

Nice trips Mr. Satan, but what does Linus NOT hate?

he likes GPL2

>Services take care of normal functionality of your system: networking, logging, authentication, language, dictionary, search, software updates, printing, graphical display, etc.
Oh yeah, they're different services totally not like systemd just discount the fact that systemd is in fact a suite of tools not one monolithic program. In fact the entirety of it is 69 cleanly separated binaries each doing their own thing. Also, you must fail to comprehend that in a traditional Linux setup, sysvinit, start-stop-daemon, inetd, cron, dbus, all implemented its own scheme to execute processes with various configuration options. On systemd the code paths for all of this, for the configuration parsing, as well as the actual execution is shared. This means less code, less place for mistakes, less memory and cache pressure. Systemd haters are just plain fucking dumb, old init systems are a fucking mess, there is a reason that the vast majority of distro maintainers decided to use systemd. You're just too dumb to understand.

I'm sorry. Is English your first language?

>we trigger Sup Forums

>less place for mistakes
>Systemd haters are just plain fucking dumb
Hi Lennart Goldberg.

>(((Debian)))
>(((Ubuntu)))
>vast majority

it unironically isnt
From what I gathered from your post, your argument is that people owning code and selling it is a bad thing, because other people are not allowed to use it without a license. Do I have that right?

fucking communist

>9gag
kek

>in a traditional Linux setup, sysvinit, start-stop-daemon, inetd, cron, dbus, all implemented its own scheme to execute processes with various configuration options. On systemd the code paths for all of this, for the configuration parsing, as well as the actual execution is shared.
And I think basically everyone agrees that this is a Good Thing and a major improvement over the way things used to be.

It's all the horrible downsides that ins systemd come with these improvements that made a lot of people think twice.

I don't think any of the systemd haters, myself included, deny that systemd has brought a lot of improvements that were a long time coming. It's the question of whether all the downsides are worth it that is causing the consternation.

>there is a reason that the vast majority of distro maintainers decided to use systemd.
Are you a distro maintainer? Because I am.

Let me tell you why the vast majority of distro maintainers want systemd. It's because it's easier on the maintainers, and supporting multiple init systems is a pain in the ass. All valid reasons. But the degree to which systemd is better or worse than alternatives for the USER wasn't really a motivation.

>picture
those comies are welcome to try, but I also have the right to defend myself. Good luck with that

I'm wondering why /fglt/ recently got that much communist OP pictures? Is someone trying to push this thread into a political corner?

>It's because it's easier on the maintainers
>supporting multiple init systems is a pain in the ass.
Nobody was forcing anyone to support multiple init systems before systemd. What the fuck kind of argument is this?

>downsides
What?

>But the degree to which systemd is better or worse than alternatives for the USER wasn't really a motivation.
It's better for everyone

>Are you a distro maintainer? Because I am.
Go LARP somewhere else.

Hey, /fglt/ I need some advice/opinions on choosing a GPU for my first build, specifically driver performance.

I'm *not* looking to game on linux. My main concern is keeping temps down, and not killing the card while being able to watch the occasional chinese cartoon. I have heard that open source nvidia drivers have had a history of being bad, where AMD drivers are usually decent. Maybe I heard wrong, but I don't know, which is why I'm asking here.

Specifically, I'm comparing a 480x and a 1070 if that helps. Any input on personal driver performance would be helpful too. Thanks.

>init freedom
so systemd is bad because it's popular, right?
I'm all for software freedom, but init freedom is a meme, nobody is forced to use it and systemd is the wrong place to rant: if you think "systemd takes over!", then blame the people who ship it and start depending on it
>init freedom
nice meme, friends

piss off lennart

Cтoллмaн жил, Cтoллмaн жив, Cтoллмaн бyдeт жить.

install gentoo

Jokes on you, I intend on it. :^)

not an argument

>then blame the people who ship it and start depending on it
That's *exactly* what "init freedom" means. It means "please don't depend on it and don't ship it as a requirement".

>gommunism

Kill yourself, GNU/Linux and free software isn't for spreading your filthy ideology.

but at the same time init freedom is building a community of hate against specific developers (who wrote free software) and a program (which is free software)

>building a community of hate
freedom

>but at the same time init freedom is building a community of hate against specific developers (who wrote free software) and a program (which is free software)
If anyone designs their free software in such a way to promote people relying on it unnecessarily, and explicitly try to foster community norms for using and depending on their software and to hell with anyone for whom that causes problems, I think they deserve hate, free software or not.

>I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source. People have started multiple "petitions" on petition web sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!).
plus.google.com/ LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd

What is the best way to run Firefox in a sandbox? Or does anyone know how to run it as an unprivileged user?

Systemd FUD is the cancer killing /fglt/

>>I get hate mail for hacking on Open Source.
Hahaha, no. It's because you're an arrogant asshole who thinks he can do no wrong, Lennart.

firejail

lol github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui

Not everyone is comfy with the command line, nerd.

I installed archbang on laptop, runs way more faster thqn windows

What are some cool terminal commands?

Make tails, dvd and run from ram, then clean ram...just a tip

gnomefags still in denial

!25

installing

Sudo wipe /dev/sda10

I just left Arch cuz 3bleedingedge5me 4manyupdates6me. Recommended lightweight riceable distro that won't steal time away from my work?

By 'riceable', I mean something I won't have to gut too much to get rid of excess gimmicks and battery wasters

!26

Su -

mount /dev/sda1

mkdir /mnt/dick

Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/dick

nano /etc/locale
Israel

pacman -S nuke

error

Git clone aur.archlinux.org/israel-nuke

Cd israel-nuke

Makepkg -si
Cd

Nuke

>gommunism is evul, mmmmmmmmkay?
Can this meme please die already? It's not funny anymore!

I like manjaro

fucks sakes why

on my ssh if that matters. not like it does, why the fuck would it

Here. I made it into a friendly GNU/image form for easy consumption.

your mirrorlist may be outdated
try # reflector --verbose --latest 10 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
or manually edit the mirrorlist.

>nano
I'll take you seriously when you aren't posting from your phone.

What VM software is there that can be ran on both Windows 8 and say, Debian? gonna run a basic *buntu on a work laptop that doesn't boot from USB, but thought I could combine this with learning VMs on my main workstation

>only heard about Virtualbox
>reads forums
>people talking about VB being dead/bloat/malware

Docker (not it have another name, much more efficient than any vm.)

I finally installed Linux but am having audio trouble, constant switching between both Line out and Headphones. any help?

has nothing to do with being popular
it was chosen overnight by debian for obscure reasons
It's adding many more issues than fixing anything
plus people like it because they are lazy and don't like to spend time setting up init properly
>hate against specific developers
the only one who said this was Lennard The Jew because he was trying to make himself a victim.

>people talking about VB being dead/bloat/malware

Did they also talk about their own mental retardation?
>dead
under constant development and gets new versions often
>bloat
le ebin bloat meme in 2017 with terabytes of storage. Yes, takes more space than qemu, but not unreasonably much
>malware
free (libre) software. You can compile it from GPL'd source yourself if you don't trust the oracle-made binaries.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

What switches?

Gentoo for desktop, arch for laptop.

Free:
Debian LXDE/Xfce

Cuckietary:
Xubuntu, Lubuntu

Puppy is really really lightweight but idk about license policy.

the audio device in use constantly switches between the two.

More info?

still a hate community

youtube.com/watch?v=cpVzC12GkM8
Also: Antergos and Salix.

i did it the other way around