Qutebrowser, the last good web browser

Well Sup Forums. We need to talk.

With Morzilla's failure towards giving support to ALSA (I am in favor of using PulseAudio nonetheless), without even making it public (they didn't announce it); and Morzilla's continuous stream of shit regarding the community: legacy addons, style and feel, features, performance, memory usage, etc. There is only one solution.

No, it is not Chromium, no. It may be fast, usable as fuck, and open source; but it is owned by Google, who does what it pleases, throwing binaries to listen to you, not answering to the users' requests, begging for customization and for a lightweight experience, for a browser owned by the community

It is Qutebrowser, the only browser with a bright future. Vim like keybindings, which, like them or not, are great for navigation (maybe not for text editing, so it says my Emacs friend). The dev is the most caring of all the ones I have ever met, working his life into it. It has a built in adblocker, addon support is coming, user scripts are being developed, fast and lightweight (go with the Chromium backend or with Webkit directly)

And the most important bit of all... It is named Qute-browser. And if you didn't know, the dev is running a kickstarter now, so go and help! Make yourself a favor

qutebrowser.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.0/releasenotes/
github.com/annulen/webkit
github.com/fanglingsu/vimb/commits/webkit2
github.com/uzbl/uzbl/commits/next
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/tree/master/misc/userscripts
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/2104
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>literally cannot be controlled with mouse, outside of clicking on link or scrolling
>no menu bar, navigation bar, bookmark bar, any of the standard browser features

into the fucking trash it goes

>without even making it public (they didn't announce it);
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.0/releasenotes/

The engine is garbage m8 and this
Here's you bump tho

I used to like it but its overly complex and eats a whole lot of battery imo so kinda not worth it vs e.g. chromium

qtwebengine = shit
wait for updated qtwebkit

whats wrong with qtwebengine?

outdated chromium

>webkit
It's shit.

>has a unique fingerprint
into the trash it goes

Considering spoof

Okay OP, after all that sugar I am in.

the kickstarter just got fully funded with three full weeks left
I wonder what our lazy-eyed lord will do with all the extra dosh

qtwebkit is deprecated and undeveloped, what are you talking about

>implying this nth attempt at Vimprobable, Vimb, Uzbl, dwb, etc. etc. etc. won't just fizzle out into abandonware within a few months again

seriously

* uzbl
* surf
* jumanji
* luakit
* dwb

github.com/annulen/webkit

>actively developed for three years now
>"It'll totally fizzle out soon"

the commits page won't load for me.

What killed dwb (and I think others) is that the transition from WebKit1 to WebKit2 essentially meant a rewrite, and the devs didn't have the time for that. qutebrowser was in a similar situation with QtWebKit/QtWebEngine a year ago, but thanks to the first crowdfunding, I was able to work on that full time for two months, which made it possible to do that transition without taking years.

vimb and uzbl are currently somewhat actively developed again and working on a WebKit2 port:
github.com/fanglingsu/vimb/commits/webkit2
github.com/uzbl/uzbl/commits/next

But yeah - going for 3.5 years now with no intentions of stopping.

jumanji, luakit and dwb are dead since years. surf lacks too much functionality IMHO. uzbl seems to rise from the ashes after months (years?) of inactivity now.

thanks for saving my wrists and battery.

Any intention of porting Qutebrowser to C+=?

I was curious and looked in the archives for other threads

is there a nice place to share user scripts ? i would really like to see your user scripts and to share mine.

pastebin.

For things which are usable for other people too, there's misc/userscripts in the repo:

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/tree/master/misc/userscripts

For real though bro, the only annoying thing left for me with this browser is the lack of tab completion in the download dialog. Ctrl-W to delete words(a bash thing afaik) would be very nice too.

much cleaner code than mine, i think i will use these userscripts as templates from now on

See github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/2104

ctrl-w already deletes words, except in input fields on pages if you mean that:
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/68

You can add a binding to do something similar though:

:bind --mode=insert fake-key ;; fake-key

I guess I was remembering the functionality wrong, I thought I was asking to be able to delete single words in filepaths. That would probably conflict with the actual usage.
And yeah, I'll just let you keep on trucking with that laundry list you gave yourself.