/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/mail/answer/138350?hl=en
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-15-R3-15-6-Full-HD-IPS-Gaming-Notebook-with-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-/391761035675?customid=724af3d02ac011e7bdaeeac75121984d0INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&_trkparms=5373:0|5374:Featured&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true
linux.die.net/man/1/guestmount
onlinecomponents.com/molex-waldom-475968830.html?p=42986738&utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=inventoryrefferal&utm_campaign=octopart&ref=OctopartFeed
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

:~> sudo guestmount -a sdv.qcow2 --inspector --ro /mnt/VirtHD
I have to use the file manager in Super User Mode in order to even see its contents.

How do I allow the user to at least read?

Reposting

Bump:

>install new cpu fan but have to remove motherboard and all components in the process
>reinstall everything and boot up but mouse sometimes mouse stops responding
>USB headphones stop working intermittently but now seem fine

what the fuck did i do?

I found this "mail delegation" thing. It doesn't allow you to send mails from the account, but you can do basically everything else.

support.google.com/mail/answer/138350?hl=en

Unplug your computer, wait for the light inside to go out, press the power button like 3 times, plug it in, turn it on, and then try.

If that doesn't work, you probably damaged a USB bus on the motherboard.

>inb4 universal serial bus bus

Did you knock the USB connector loose? Sounds like you didn't plug something in correctly while reassembling. You could try disconnecting everything and reconnecting it again.

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-15-R3-15-6-Full-HD-IPS-Gaming-Notebook-with-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-/391761035675?customid=724af3d02ac011e7bdaeeac75121984d0INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&_trkparms=5373:0|5374:Featured&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Why can't I paste links into Facebook chat using Firefox anymore?

I installed a USP bluetooth adapter dongle on my pc with win 7 64

as you can see in the picture the software installed no problem but it's not discovering any devices and i have them on and in discovery mode. my rig is amd but i don't think that should matter as it's a 4ghz processor

i'll probab;y have to return it if i can't figure out whats wrong

My mind is blanking and I don't know what to google:

there was a windows tool that did what windows did to move files, but better: like if you moved multiple files it would put them in a queue instead of trying to do them simultaneously. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

>usp

USB

Robocopy?

In Python how can I create a time delay that allows other stuff to be done in the meanwhile? Since time.sleep() completely ceases the whole program.

sudo chmod a+r

time.sleep should only block the calling thread, so that sounds like what you're looking for

Did you mean 'sudo chmod a+r /mnt/VirtHD'?

Stupid question. I'm brand new to Linux but I want to learn enough to be useful. What distro should I be using? What is typically used in a corporate setting?

I bought an old LGA 1155 motherboard and it didn't come with the screw that keeps the CPU bracket down, pic related. What would I search to find a replacement? Haven't found anything by searching '1155 motherboard screw' etc.

Redhat or Ubuntu Server

Is it worth it to buy a used Nexus 5X for $150?

ye

Speaking of Linux, if a new company decided to make/support a new distro are they legally able to advertise it?

I'm such a moron lol, I'd honestly never even come across the concept of threading until now

Sure. Ubuntu does.

Didn't work. Still can't even see the VirtHD folder.

This seems to have something to do with the guestmount command.

>-o allow_other
linux.die.net/man/1/guestmount

Stupid fuccboi question relating to a console but how do you set up a camera for Beam streaming? Is it as simple as plug and play into a computer seperate from recording on the console?

Works perfectly, thanks.

I should get more used to just using man.

Thanks for the responses, lads.Problem still persists. Might just have to deal with it. Makes playing Brood War a pain in the ass.

It's the Shoulder Screw, part of the Independent Loading Mechanism. Found the backplate + screws are Molex part number 47596-8830, there are a couple of US sites that sell them, onlinecomponents.com/molex-waldom-475968830.html?p=42986738&utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=inventoryrefferal&utm_campaign=octopart&ref=OctopartFeed

Alternatively, it's got a 6-32 thread, could just use a normal bolt + washer.

Or even leave it off entirely, just screw down your cooler evenly and suitably tight, that can be all the pressure it needs.

please respond

>6-32 thread
My nigga, I'll go look for some at my local Home Depot/Canadian Tire since I need to meet a minimum of $100 to order from that website. Thanks so much.

Asking here as I don't want to drag other threads down into consumer shit

Anyone know of anywhere to buy reasonably priced SSDs in the UK? £70 for 240GB seems awfully steep considering thats the same price it was like 3 years ago now

Ssd prices are high everywhere due to price fixing. Same with RAM.

There's chink ssds, but they're not that much cheaper and you risk the quality.

SSDs are expensive because companies are fixing prices(This is no joke/meme, they actually are doing it since they noticed they wont benefit from fighting for cheaper prices).

fuck sake lads, cheers anyway

better just stop being poor and cough the cash up for an incredibly overpriced drive

Which SSD are you planning to buy? 850 EVO?

Something like that, I have a couple of Crucial MX 200 and something GB drives from about 3 years ago, which is why I was so confused at how prices are more or less completely the same now

to be honest, I'm not really fussed about getting a great drive, I only want another one for my linux install

How do you curve text in an image using free software ? I tried using gimp and finally got aligned how i want but it does this weird outline only thing and i have no idea how to fill the text in. I tried using paint.net but the plugin to do it can use font sized larger than 288 and I am working on a rather large image.

Like all I am trying to do is write text along a slight curve instead of a straight line and its improving to be impossible...

Whats the middle team called ...

My grandmother describes working on a portable device project where there's a "user experience team" working on html/css and a little javascript, and a "backend team" working on the API and database from which the project draws. But there's also an intermediate team who use javascript to draw from the API and process into objects & arrays for the front-end team to use. What name does that middle team have in other shops?

whoo i finally got it work! You have to use the pencil tool to a small pixel wide stroke of the path and then come in with the bucket tool to fill it in yourself.

Anyone have experience with network firewalls? I need to spin one up in a VM and test it out. I have a few in mind:
ClearOS
IPFire

Pic unrelated from my infographics folder
IPCop
Smoothwall
Endian

I've only used iptables since forever. I'm only a cli merchant though, no opinion on graphical managers

I have some free space on my SSD. Should I use it to cache my HDD which just has data files? Was thinking 10-20gb cache size and am running debian stretch if that matters.

No. You'd be improving performance from 100ms every couple hours that you open or save the file down to 10ms every couple hours

Caching is better for frequently used files such as for the OS where you'd be saving the 10ms every few seconds

Is there a performance difference between an external SSD and an internal SSD?

Also, is there a way to transfer my OS to the SSD? Or do I have to do a fresh install when I get it?

Why does Windows 10 remove programs I pin to the start menu and set things back to default after 10 minutes? Also, is classic shell any good?

No
Yes
No

bump

I have not torrented anything in a while, but I have a massive lists of movies I need to start chipping away at.

I'm not a private tracker member, and I am too lazy to become one, so is there any viable public trackers left?

TPB and KAT torrent just seem like virus, botnet, FBI butt fucking central.

tldr - whats a good public tracker?

>just seem like virus
pleb
read comments + video formats only and ur good in terms of movies

Where do i get weed / girls in Switzerland?

Does anyone here use Hydrus Network?

Is it supposed to sound complicated?

i know to read the comments man, fuck i've been pirating shit for the last 10 years,

I'm saying the sites themselves seem weird, they both seem like homey pots, not the shit I remember from years ago.

>Plastic bowl boyardee
We only had the cans where I grew up.

fuck honey*

europe?

I'm not from the US so i don't even think or care about that stuff, no one is gonna sue me, besides i use private tracker anw, iPT.
start behaving (ratiocuck) and find urself an invite

Rural small town USA

Is storing CDs/DVDs stacked as in pic related a bad idea?

Obviously there's a higher chance of mechanical damage like scratching but is it realistically a problem or basically irrelevant?

pls respond ty

Does anyone know if it's possible to use pic related on a PC without a 360 controller assuming you have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter?

It's only bad in earthquake country

what's a good POST card brand? looking to pick something up "just in case"

What linux distro do I install on my old intel atom driven 1Gb sumsum netbook?
M linux noob.

Suppose I have a Nintendo Wii with a Guitar Hero 3 disk and original controllers. Will a Wii U guitar peripheral work with the old Wii-mote?

Puppy Linux.

i5 7600k @ 4.8ghz or i7 7700 non k stock?

Why not both? :^)

Lubuntu. Peppermint if you want to use a lot of webapps.

Fuck it, it's only $150, not much to lose there.

why dont you go to the phone general

Yeah it's an ok deal BUT I hope you know it will most likely perma-bootloop within a year.

ok so I changed capslocks to control with windows registry editor. But not all games recognize it and i have to use the real control instead? Any ideas on what went wrong? It works with some games like sc2 but not with total war

how can i get python to connect to my purevpn account?

Anyone have an idea why my wireless router only transfers files on the same lan to my android at only 400kb/s? It's supposed to be a gigabit router but even my normal internet speed is faster than this

You will never receive max speed on a wireless connection,there is too much shit that can cause degradation.
The gigabit portion references the hard line RJ-45 connectors speed.
There is currently no gigabit wifi

wouldn't it still be better than a shitty

>There is currently no gigabit wifi
Technically AC can do more than that, it just requires a killer router and devices with the maximum number of antennas.

Did you disable your cellular data before running the test?

How are you accessing the files?

Make sure you're specifically connected to the 5Ghz, and not the 2.4

I have tested my network and i got symmetrically 35Mbit on 5Ghz, 24Mbit on 2.4Ghz.
>shitty

Classic Shell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker are must haves

How do you pronounce rutracker?

Is it rut-racker? arr u tracker? roo tracker?

Why the fuck does firefox keep bringing the bookmarks toolbar. I keep fucking hiding it and it keeps coming when I start firefox again.

roo tracker

Just did. same result.

smb on my desktop. The desktop itself is connected directly to the router with cat5.

I made a seperate ssid just for the 5ghz band just to make sure, and i'm connected to the right one.

none of my neighbors are on the 5GHz frequency, while there are about 7 on the 2.4ghz.

Strange thing just happened though. I just tried connecting to the 2.4ghz instead of the 5ghz and now I'm getting 600KB/s through the smb. the fuck?

if it matters, I'm using an asus rt n56u

There's almost never any competition on the 5ghz band anyway, given its short range. I'd try and pin down the source of the issue. Try sharing files with a wireless laptop, and try using ES file explorer for file sharing on your phone; it's bloatey, but it works well for testing purposes.

>HP laptop
>nonstop flashing
>Disassemble it
>Nothing wrong
>POST say power failure
>Check it well
>wonder if its the onboard GPU
>Let it overheat disconnecting the fan
>Computer boots again
>Turns off 5 minutes later
>Now post says its the GPU

So, should i let it overheat till it hits thermal shutdown to see what happens?
In this kind of cases you use a heatgun over the GPU and thats it right?

Wow as i was writing this it turned on with no fan and shut off on its own.

es file explorer is actually what i've been using. I'll go try with a laptop and report back in a couple minutes

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

Is there something wrong with PC gaming on a HDTV?

I often see console gamers say things like "who wants to game on a monitor?" To me it seems if you plug a PC to a HDTV via HDMI you can have the best of both worlds.
Or is this frowned upon because TV's don't have g-sync or something?

>none of my neighbors are on the 5GHz frequency
You sure?, my ISP was giving away 5Ghz modems like candy a few weeks ago, that's how i got one so its not some top line AP either, of course nobody use them because no one has 5Ghz here on the far south, but they still leave their SSIDs open.

>smb
I have reached 1Gbp/s speeds on SMB on my wired network so i would discard that out.
Something might be throttling your connection, its the PC with the files connected to your rt n56u or another switch, if at some point you're doing NAT, or if your modem switch only has 100Mb ports could limit your speed.

can you discover the computer from the devices?

Now: PC boots but then screen goes black doesn't matter what OS after a while

Welp its FUBAR, time to get the owner a thinkpad.

pfSense. Awesome web configurator too. can attach snort/squid.

Input lag