Took computer science at university

>Took computer science at university
>Thought it'd be about computers 'n robots 'n shit
>Just end up writing long tedious proofs in all my classes.

Other urls found in this thread:

betterexplained.com/
patrickjmt.com/
blog.computationalcomplexity.org/2003/03/theory-and-theory-b.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bet you can't write a proof that you're not a faggot

>Going to college
>Take computer science
>Spend half the semester learning office
>Finals were done open book in a group
Most college courses are a joke starting out, it'll be years before you will do any cool shit and that goes for almost every subject

>get developer job out of college
>never write a single proof

Cs is too much science and not enough computer.

it's undecidable bby ;^)

>computers and robots n shit
The degree you're looking for is Computer/Electronics Engineering my dude. And it's pretty fucking fun.

>tfw first CS class
>easy program, minimal algorithm use, just simple syntactical stuff like "Write a program that echoes what the user inputs."
>assignments get graded
>proffessor accuses 80% of the class for "cheating"
>mfw im somehow part of it, didn't cheat at all
>mfw getting kicked out of CS

There were too many indians at my school anyways.

I knew exactly what I was getting into thanks to my time on Sup Forums since 14 years old

Take computer engineering classes
Digital circuits, microprocessors, programmable logic controllers, etc

you cheated breh

What was the longest and/or most tedious proof?

>Took math at university
>Thought it'd be about writing proofs and do some calculations
>Had to learn programming and write programs in some courses.

probably gotta take engineering to get all the computers and robots.

>Take computer engineering
>first two semesters are literally nothing but caluclus 1 through 4, physics 1 and 2, chemistry lab and some bullshit gen eds

what the fuck is t his bullshit im going to kill myself

they give you the necessary background to not be a total fucking retard for your upcoming classes, freshman.

>calc 4

If you just wanted to code like a baboon, you should have stayed home. The minimal amount of mathematics required for your degree is the least your college can offer so they don't become the laughingstock of real engineers (not that it helps).

why do retards expect practical exercises at uni?

>engineers
>good at math

Computers and robots and shit, also known as "the IoT", "quantum computers" and "deep learning", are either engineering or writing demonstrations as a computer science researcher, which isn't exciting for its "boom hack lasers" effect.

I'd like to stress out that Google is probably full of "writing long demonstrations" things.

And that hence at this exact moment Google wouldn't hire you. Sorry for fragmenting my answer, I need to sleep.

Maybe make a gap year.

>>Thought it'd be about computers 'n robots 'n shit
That's computer engineering.
>>Just end up writing long tedious proofs in all my classes.
The proofs are trivial; you're just a brainlet.

>too much science
College and academia is for people who have realized that you need strong formalisms and math in order to really figure stuff out.
Otherwise you end up with concepts like object oriented programming which come from engineering.

Gonna ask this here.

What are some college courses that don't require Math? My brain literally cannot process it. I blame mostly my shit teachers, parents, and myself.
If there are no courses that don't require Math then I will not sign up for college. I'll just get a few certifications.

I was the same way. Hell, I was struggling with algebra. You need to take the time to do practice problems (including word problems). And yes, you need to be consistent with your practice.

fuck

Anything that's a BA instead of a BS.

>take CS
>spend most of your time learning fucking matlab and autodesk inventor

But even in a BA, you still need to be able to do Algebra 2.

Yea man, but I would also have to learn all the basics. Basically shit learned in elementary/middle school.
I literally know nothing... I got very lucky over the years to pass.
Mostly because I was able to copy other students, and got a lot of help from my uncle.

Fuck...

Everyone can process math you mongrel, you are just a millenial special snowflake running away from any hardship and inconvinience. You have to struggle through your butthurt from math until you realized that you actually need math for strict formalization without handwaving.

How am I butthurt? I really ain't. I am not running away, I've fucking tried. I have spent hours trying to understand, and got lessons from my uncle (Who's great with Math). Plus everything that was taught in class, but nothing sticked. I just don't understand.
I know that I need it, it's important.

Thats what I was worried about, I ended doing a Cert 4 in I.T instead, got a job for 2 years then applied for a post graduate based on work experience, got in and have one subject to go, all have been easy as shit, no proofs mostly pracs.
its the good shit

betterexplained.com/

patrickjmt.com/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Yeah, unfortunately this is true. I get A's in every single one of my courses except for the math ones. I pass most of them, but I could do way better if I did any of the homework. I've only failed linear algebra so far, but when I retake it I'm going to have to do the homework or else I'll just fail it again.

stackoverflow is cheating too

>Love maths
>Like programming
>Like the science of computation
>Know there's zero point in going for a more difficult and expensive BS in computer science when a Bachelor's in IT gets the exact same jobs in Australia

I got a new feel after posting this image
>tfw I'll never be a little anime girl
>tfw I'll never have a little anime girl waifu

>Only worrying about the jobs you can get with your degree
>Instead of choosing what you want to do
this is the future we chose

but memes aside, if you love math you should do CS.
It isn't all about the job you are going to work for 30-40 years and then die afterwards

This. Core classes are basically high school 2.0 except easier since you aren't there all day every day

>enroll in associates program for computer science at local community college
>all courses are about programming with c++, java, javascript and .net framework, design patterns, thread safety, sql, and other useful shit
>all theoretical discussion is in the context of language specifications
>land job immediately
>find out later from my boss this former horse ranch in rural New Jersey is known to routinely churn out better programmers than most 4 year schools in the area

CS is just a math degree masquerading as a computer and/or science degree

Fucking this. Professors should just straight up tell students that if they signed up for CS thinking its video games or robots an shit to just leave now.

Because computer science is a subfield of mathematics.

proofs are base of mathematics, you need read and write proof to understand books and papes of mathematics, mathematics could be applied to all fields of computers, security,formal verification, graphics computers,machine learning, computer visions, robotics, theory of control.

Fuck proofs and fuck math to

But that's what you need to write robots and shit

>science

found your problem

You're a retard if you thought computer science would be about computers and robots. That's electrical engineering, a completely different course.

What are you trying to study?

/thread

I did a CS course because I unironically want to spend the rest of my life working with computers.

Anything. I really don't have an idea, but I am willing to consider anything.

>Took computer science at university
>Thought it'd be about chemicals 'n making shit
>Just end up doing leveled up plumbing

fug forgot picture

>they give you the necessary background to not be a total fucking retard for your upcoming classes
hahahhahaahhaah people still buy into this meme?

Let me ask you something.

Now, I don't mean to be rude or nothin, I don't wanna tell you how to do your job.

But...

>cheating in CS 101
if you feel the need to do this to pass the class, you might as well drop out now and submit an application to walmart

>Everyone can process math you mongrel
Not true. The higher the abstraction, the higher IQ necessary. 85 IQ niggers literally are not capable of understanding advanced mathematics.

H-how can they tell

they use a program called MOSS which basically compares everyone's code, and if everyone has a similar statement to "System.out.println("Hello world!");" then it gets flagged.

It's really should be changed to "science of computation". This implies what computer science is, which is the study on proofs of algorithms

Yeah we do that robot/vr/ar/holo-office/cutting edge stuff in media cs.
Now go away and set up a database or something

How do I learn this stuff on my own?

I've been a self-taught programmer since I was 14, and I was even able to make my own programming language. Electronics seem to be impenetrable, I just can't figure out where to start.

I'm studying in Germany and here CS is called informatics and it seems like that it covers more disciplines than regular CS or Computer Engineering in the US
There are 3 math courses (Calculus A + B, Linear Algebra A + B and Discrete Strucures) as well with the long tedious proofs
The other courses range from programming over electrical engineering basics to classes about logic gates and seminars about Unix
I'm in my second semester and kinda liking it so far
In Programming we learned first C and then Java and had to submit a weekly homework
My favourite course so far is Computer Architecture where you learn about von Neumann's theories, converting analog to digital data and vice versa and the basics of a CPU and Assembly language

Wow, 80 percent of the class was Chinese? What school?

Are you fucking stupid? CS has almost no science, it's mostly discrete math and logic

Start with selecting input and output sources you want to use, and hook them together.
Start with simple stuff like switches and leds.
With hardware you need to RTFM. It will tell you how the component works, if it needs a resistor or some other component.

That can't work.
How many ways are the to print "Hello World" in Java?

It becomes more science-y when you get into stuff like Machine Learning and Systems Architecture. You could even consider the design of algorithms with heuristics as equal parts science and math.

UToronto, obviously

We cover all that in US.
The only difference between Europe and US I'm aware of is Theory A vs Theory B focus and nomenclature.
blog.computationalcomplexity.org/2003/03/theory-and-theory-b.html

>be brainlet
>took Business-IT at university
>take partly business and compSci courses
>have seperate courses with lunatics and profs who were relevant at some point, but now just create new modulation languages

I don't know what to feel to be honest folks.
I kind of deserve this shit.

Maybe in your country, but in countries, where there is no tuition, they need a way of wading out the moron crowd.
They do this shit by making these wade-out-courses. Sure you can apply next semester again.....or you could get on with your life.

I hope you're talking about gen eds? If office is taught in any core CS course, change schools immediately. Not even joking.

Do CompSci degrees actually make that much difference in terms of getting a job in software dev? I took a meme degree (music technology) and have the chance to take a 1 year conversion course but I'm cautious about uni after the first time round.

Depends on your location.

In america, you'd probably be better off, spending four years in the university library and teaching stuff to yourself. You can write a lot of stuff on your resumee this way.
In europe, most employers will not even glance at the rest of your application if there is no degree.
It just looks better and will get better pay as it holds some status for most people.

I'm in europe, do you mean a CompSci degree specifically is required or just a degree in general? I've already graduated music tech and I'm considering signing up to CompSci for next year

if you can't even pass an algebra course then you don't belong at a university.

So, what do you want to become later on in life ?
Just studying for the sake of studying will get you nowhere and will be counterproductive.

If you want to start a career as a developer or third-level-support for a major company, a degree is necessary i'd assume.
Go the start-up way and just create stuff, a degree isn't required.

Not 100% sure what I want to do, just know I want it to be in the field of programming/audio programming.

I'm just worried about getting locked out of job opportunities for not having the right degree. Plus the a conversion course would turn my essentially useless degree into something considered somewhat valuable to employers.

If u really don't believe those courses don't help you in the later courses, you must have a terrible GPA.

>took computer engineering at university
>change to math because I happened to like it more
>now I laugh at mathematicians who can't do python and at computer scientists who can't do calculus

>No interest in life beside video games
>Suddenly I am 18 and have to decide what I am going to do for the next 50 years or so
>Video game industry is shit
>Computers are kind of cool I suppose
>Take comp sci at shitty IT
>Course is actually good and teaches a lot of stuff that are practical
>In third year I realise I actually hate computers beyond video games and the internet
>Take a year out to think and get a job
>Spend six months being retarded and making stupid mistakes
>Realise I am shit at fucking everything
>Even shit at video games which is my only Hobby
Who else is a complete failure at everything? Currently a wage slave and I cannot even do that properly.

UC Hicago obviously

Honestly I like those classes but that's not why. One of the classes we have to take for engineering at my school is just a general "how to solve problems" course where we had to design and build a wind turbine. My group was OK, but there are some people here and you just have to fucking wonder how they graduated high school.

If I got one of those dumbasses in my group for an actual serious course, I would be pissed as hell. The first year general courses being hard aren't about punishing the people who know how to learn and know how to sit down and do the work, it's about making the people who don't have the self control to do an hour of chemistry every night drop out

Matlab is programming, just with slightly different syntax. If you're annoyed that you have to spend time on homework that's literally programming maybe you should switch majors. Inventor sucks though use autocad

Pretty sure you can configure it from anything as specific as "exact same lines of code even comments" to the complicated stuff like ignoring comments, different variable names, stuff declared in different orders and brace/indentation style will be matched

wish my profs would do that. there's a giant clique that submits the exact same programs

If you wanted to make shiny toys and robots, you should've gone to mech eng
Don't reinvent the wheel, implement.

>Mechanical engineering
BILL BILL BILL BILL

GIVE IT UP FOR MUH SEX JUNK

OHH YEAH MY SEX JUNK IS SO OH OH OH

MUCH MORE THAN EITHER OR OR OR

Your realize the first two years of any bachelor's degree is going to be general academic courses and the last two are related to your major only?

Me want make compooper games

Completely agree. People really need to understand this.

"Software Architecture and Implementation" (ie, Computer Programming) should probably be a separate major, just with lots of overlapping requirements, relatively easy to double major.

Totally depends. In my school computer and electrical engineers start out with engineering courses right away.

First semester is electrical and digital circuit fundamentals, next is assembly and c programming.

I would take the long way