Let us discuss why seagate is still around. Every seagate I've ever owned has fucked up on me. EVERY SINGLE ONE

Let us discuss why seagate is still around. Every seagate I've ever owned has fucked up on me. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

All hard drives die eventually

There's more than 1 guy that buys Seagate drives

they must be giving them out for free

Then why did you keep buying them?

All mechanical hard drives are prone to fail sooner or later.

thanks for your wisdom

Seagate is cheaper than WD

If you are poor you need to get WD
If you are rich get a Hitachi drive

But not at the same rate.

Pic very related.

>All drives are prone to fail sooner or later.
FTFY. even disc readers eventually fail.
and especially SSDs. it's hilarious, the speeds they're capable of, make it possible for software -like winblows 10 (notice how it's always using your drives for no real or apparent reason?), or even embedded firmware in the ssd itself- to surpass the total amount of possible writes in under a weeks time. the especially fast ones can do so in less than a week.

yeah i'd much rather stick with HDDs. they dont fail due to scumbag developers and their perpetual spyware/malware destroying my local storage in no time

All drives?

So literally all data on Earth will go kerplunk eventually?

Shit boys, what do we do?

grab your ankles and brace yourself
cause everything dies eventually.
yes even worthless and retarded frogposting shitposters like yourself.

Same story for me, except for the one in my laptop, it's a fucking miracle that thing hasn't shit itself and died yet, I need to buy a replacement and clone my data.

Continuously transmit petabytes of data at high power into space and hope an alien civilization will record it.

nothing, eventually entropy itself will take our very atoms and render them cold dead specks

Basically the tech equivalent to battered wife's syndrome. Buyers keep going back to seashit because it's cheap even though they know they will regret it later.

how many times do you think this has already happened?

about as many times as it's going to happen in the future

That's funny, I used to have a stack of dead WDs on my desk, and only one seagate drive I owned shit the bed for no reason (and it gave enough warning that I was able to image the drive to a new one with minimal data loss). I've also got a WD raptor that didn't even last 2 years of normal use.

I've been running a 1.5T drive that Sup Forums assured me would fail within weeks... for over 7.5 years and counting. Hell, my 2GB seagate from 1996 still works, though it seems to have a severe case of bit-rot. I suspect that a full format would fix it.

Long story short, seagate drives have a similar failure rate to others (except for a particularly bad year or two several years ago), and will fail at random like any brand. Saying they're terrible now is just meming.

>mfw I bought a 50$ refurbished 1 TB Seagate hard drive 6 years ago and it still works perfectly
You'll never know this smugness

An infinite amount of times or none at all depending on the universe you're in.

I've never had one fail, and I have a 6 year old seagate still working

Let's just hope we achieve that possibility before Trump turns the world into a fucking crater

achieve what possibility you fucking moron
you think a human being can influence entropy?

the 1.5tb line failed within 3 months or were good for fucking years, went through 6 of the fuckers though rma, the ones that lived are some of my longest lived drives period.

Modern SSDs will not die from this in their appreciable lifetime. Enjoy your crippled pc.

I think that's how most hard drive failures go.
They either work for just a little while or they work forever.

I just had one of my seagate drives I bought in 2013 just randomly shit on me.

yea, but 1.5 had something close to a 50% fail rate at their peak.

It was a stupidly high number that failed from all 1.5 venders, something about those drives just fucked everyone over.

Well, that's why I said most, not all.

>turns the world into a fucking crater
this simply can not happen soon enough

and sadly humanity is too weak to achieve it.
if only god wasn't such a creepy fucking perverted asshole, we would have to suffer this awful thing called "life".

I want Seagate to improve, not to go away. Giving WD a monopoly would be bad. They're already trying to confuse consumers by eliminating the green branding and rebranding green drives as blues.

>he thinks ssds have infinite amount of write capabilities
>he doesn't realize their at best petabyte limit can't be achieved in under a week by the overpriced consumerist shit they're trying to sell for $5 per gb
why are you even on /g?
you're clearly retarded in regardless to technology.

shit i just answered my own question didn't i...

Were Samsung hard drives good before they sold their hard drive division to Seagate?

HGST brand sold off to WD but Toshiba got all the tech

You have no luck with hard drives, OP. I've owned hundreds of Seagate drives over the decades, only one of them has ever failed (yanked out the power cord, my mistake, caused a head crash but even so that shouldn't have happened either).

Only brand of hard drive that has never ever failed on me (several hundred of them owned) is IBM/Hitachi now known as HGST. Hell, I still have an infamous IBM 60GXP "DeathStar" drive from the late 1990s era and it still works, has 2 bad sectors on it and over 140,000 hours of use from being in an OS/2 server box in a bank.

OP: stop buying Seagate because they obviously know about you.

Why is there 34k seagate 4TB drives? Is that the total sample size?

iirc, they get seagates cheap enough so that even with the higher failure rate they turn out cheaper in the long run.

I don't have any data to point towards, but my Samsungs have been running fine ever since I got them, the oldest being 8-9 years at this point. In the same time period I've had three Seagates die and stopped buying them.

I've got a Spinpoint HD103SI which I shucked that's been running fine for 33k.

Why did Samsung even get out of the hard drive industry if their products were good? "The cloud" just keeps growing, I can't imagine they lost money selling hard drives.

I bought a Seagate Barracuda 4TB NOT pro recently. Am I fucked?

Probably not. Seagate's failure rates were going down last time I checked, and a minority of drives failed anyways. Just don't be a dummy and back up your data.

Their 3TB have a bad reputation. 4TB, not so much.

Seagates are trash. Hitatchi or Toshiba or go home.

This is what they get for buying Maxtor

The green is like the algae growing on piles of dead seagate drives.
The swirl is to remind you of all the money you flushed down the toilet.

GRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS BUY SEAGATE

The same reason harbor freight is still around.

Make copies.

They are still #1 HDD manufacturer and their enterprise-tier HDDs are just top-notch only losing out to HGST by a small amrgin.

Their mainstream stuff is okay now, but the 7200.11 family was plagued by stupid QC issues that resembled the infamous IBM 75GXP "Deathstar" back in the day.

>mfw using a seagate usb drive with 1,5GB since 2008 without anny issues

*TB

They are cost efficient.

My Hitachi just crapped out on me

I refuse to buy the WD scam

From experience any hdd die after about six years

2 of the WD i bought died within 2 years
3 seagate i bought lasted at least 5 years.

Fuck WD