/arch/: Arch Linux General: Bleeding Edge Edition

Did you sudo pacman -Syu today?

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/479357/what-is-the-difference-between-sudo-x-and-running-x-as-root
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20170420/stage3-amd64-20170420.tar.bz2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everyday!

Every day,SENPAI

>root

Every time I boot my computer.
Not the type of guys that just lets it running through the night

No. My shit needs a stable environment.

"""""""stable""""""""

>I'm too stoopid to trust myself with superuser powers
Geez, why don't you go back, Mactoddler?

>root
>still using sudo
I see you skill with these superuser powers

If you don't care about stability and predictability, well... That's just your problem. Faggot.

>not knowing the difference between sudo and running commands as root
I feel for you.

What is the magical difference you think there is arch toddler?

Running pacaur -Syu right now, my nigga

For (You).

that's cool too bruh
pacaur is the best AUR helper ever

You're an idiot. Run "sudo whoami" and see what happens. Also, since you're so smart, I know you know this, but after that, run "su -c whoami"

Basically, if you honestly believe that running something while logged in as root is different than sudo, you're an idiot. Also, >superuser
kys

Hey retards.

askubuntu.com/questions/479357/what-is-the-difference-between-sudo-x-and-running-x-as-root

Did you read it? It says there is no difference. Both run binaries with setuid to root.

He ran sudo while he was logged in as root, you fucking imbecile. Also, su can grant temporary access as well, as pointed out. Basically, you didn't even read the explanation you just posted, it says right there that sudo grants temporary root access, so no, running as root is no different at all to sudo. If you can't grasp this concept, then do the world a favor, by jumping off of the nearest bridge.

No, I haven't run Pacman -Syu in a couple months. I'm still on LTS kernel 4.4.

fuck off fags, you dont know anything about Linux

(You)

Average Arch fag, does something daily by hand instead of using a cron job.

Is there an infograph of all essential arch linux commands?

what's the most stable arch based distro? the one that won't break my system with untested updates?

you can find on chakra linux has the best user-friendly documentation

Manjaro.

install gentoo

Seriously though

Then there are none.

No one asked you fag. Arch is the best distro ever. You need at least 165 IQ to use it. Looks liek your a sub-100 moron.

Arch is Bleeding Edge.

i guess this
manjaro is nice

here's an essential one ALL arch users should run

wget distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20170420/stage3-amd64-20170420.tar.bz2
tar xvf stage3-amd64-20170420.tar.bz2
chroot ./stage3-amd64-20170420

thank me later

Is being expert at command line necessary to operate arch? I want to try linux on the laptop i am going to get, and arch download size is only 467mb i don't want to download too much just to test something i don't even know i am going to use because very slow internet, so i was thinking of installing arch on vm on windows.

Not at all. If you can read and understand English on the wiki, you're better than 90% of the users. Everythign is always explained clearly in the wiki. And if you find something confusing, you can always hit the forums and get it cleared. We're a very helpful bunch (bar some moronic trolls).

Contrary to popular opinion, Arch is probably the easiest distro to use (short term and long term) because of its superior wiki, the AUR, it's minimal nature (thereby allowing you to customize everything).

bash: wget: command not found

lel

>not having pacman -Syyu -force -noconfirm running in a loop

I did, and it broke my install. First ever breakage since I decided to try out arch a couple months ago tho. Pretty determined to fix it.

Thanks mang,
Well alot of computer related jobs specifically require linux knowledge and do prefer people who use linux, so it will be a good practice, have to just read wiki

That went easier than I expected

keep going :')

>NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (no such file or directory)

Heeeeeeellllpppp meeeeee! Only post on the arch bbs is unresolved and from 2012

Help you with what? Are we supposed to guess what's happening based on that log message?

I did user-kun!

also, contentment general for arch fags isn't a bad idea.

What the fuck are you trying to do nigger

It just shows up in terminal when I try to do various things. For example running screenfetch makes it show up.

Kill Arch, long live Gentoo!

> cron job
> in the year of our lord and savior Lennart

Is anyone else feeling like "durr upgrades break stuff" is a waste of time? I started using it in December, switching from debian. Just make sure you either check the website or have some way of being notified like RSS if you need a manual intervention. The other day I got back from a holiday, and didn't upgrade my desktop for about 3 weeks. I was expecting something to go wrong, because about 200 packages/1.5GB got updated, but everything worked afterwards. I would probably worry if I didn't update for more than 2-3 months though, because manual interventions would probably accumulate by that point.

>pacman -Syu
Jist install pamac from the AUR
Or at least create a script to automate system updates

>running as root

Friendly reminder to install FreeBSD

Ignore BaStarDs