What does user's dream language look like?

What does user's dream language look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.racket-lang.org/ts-guide/
ecere.org/
ec-lang.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C--
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

D

C with more C.

Clojure without the JVM.

>without the JVM.
But that's like the only part of the Java ecosystem that's good.

>dream language
If you will it, it is no dream.

I want higher higher higher order functions up to n levels of meta for a super meta language so I can meta while I meta while I meta...

I'm just learning Scheme now. LISP is really awesome but I don't get this:

(cons (cons (cons A ()) B))

What the hell is this?

Not a valid expression as far as I'm aware. You're consing A onto nil, then consing that onto B, then consing that onto nothing? You're missing an argument bruh.

okay, I'm going call-by-value here:

(cons A ()) --> (A)
thus,
(cons (cons A ()) B) --> (A B)

the cons before that doesn't make any sense since you need two arguments for cons, a new element and a list to add it to.

nice trips though
beat me to it

I dream in language

Nah the whole thing is fucked.
(cons A ()) -> (A)
(cons (cons A ()) B) -> ((A).B)

To get (A B) it would be (cons A (cons B ()) since the second argument to cons is the cdr.

Oh... right. My bad.

I guess C#, which would compile to machine code instead of another virtual machine.
And had FLOSS cross-platform compilers (Mono doesn't count, it is like reverse-engineering, works, but could be better).

Sorry I meant
(cons (cons (cons A ()) B) C)

My question is why does scheme return this for a list sometimes when I expect this instead:

(A B C)

There are so many great languages now: OCaml, Haskell, Clojure, Perl 6, Rust, Elixir, Agda, R...

My problem with modern programming is more within the ecosystem.

Rust

Factor but actor model.

Read up on lazy evaluation, call-by-need and call-by name.

fpbp

Java the way it was intended to be, without Google fucking with it and turning it into a proprietary format.

its bloatware.

Functional programming is the 'fair trade coffee hipster with a man-bun taking about drain pouring IPAs that aren't microbrew' of the technology world.

"I don't know anything about actually programming, but what I do know about it is what I've gleaned from memes Sup Forums"

C with built-in vectors, smart/shared/weak pointers, a string type (not a replacement for C strings, just a safer alternative) and other niceties.

Basically just take good ideas from C++ and add them into C minus the OOP. You can already sort of do this with extra libraries but there are some unavoidable limitations and problems that could be solved by outright incorporating the features directly into the language.

You know you don't have to use every feature of C++ just because it's there, right?

It still feels dirty to use even without touching the shit parts.

Nonetheless it's still my language of choice, but if we're describing our dream language it would be what I described, I'd like to not have to use such a dirty language.

I want a nice statically typed Lisp.

Syntax either
SML like with parentheses instead of let ... in;
or lisp like but supporting java like arrays (let ((x:int[5])) (dotimes (n 5) (setf x[n] 0)))

Statically typed but with type inference
Macros
inline C and easy interface to C, compiler being able to parse C headers
Manual memory management but starndard library providing allocators
Standard defining project layout and compiler needs to be able to compile whole projects

Then you're in luck. Lisp's abstraction level lets you define any type system and evaluation strategy you may wish for.

I know the feel: someone should create a ISO standard for a subset of C++ called C--, it would be so good...

docs.racket-lang.org/ts-guide/

Swift but general purpose.

statically typed python

nim?

vala?

ecere
ecere.org/
basically vala but without dependencies to Glib

ec-lang.org/
more informative link

this is really nice
thanks user

Vala is object oriented, too.

Something like C but more user friendly like python.

LADDER LOGIC

Functional programming is now the accepted way to do things.

I'd be interested in seeing an assembler but with static strong / dependent type system.

This

C but with preprocessor macros that can also be written in C.
basically, Also, optional sane default built-ins like is not a bad idea.

>not using wingdings instead of letters

Not even trying

But be sure to install it on pic related.

Python with Golang types.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C--
>C-- is a C-like programming language. Its creators, functional programming researchers, designed it to be generated mainly by compilers for very high-level languages rather than written by human programmers. Unlike many other intermediate languages, its representation is plain ASCII text, not bytecode or another binary format.
>C-- is a "portable assembly language", designed to ease the task of implementing a compiler which produces high quality machine code.
>the compiler back ends available to researchers at that time were complex and poorly documented, several projects had written compilers which generated C code
>C is a poor choice for functional languages: it does not support tail call optimization, accurate garbage collection or efficient exception handling. C-- is a simpler, tightly-defined alternative to C which does support all of these things. Its most innovative feature is a run-time interface which allows writing of portable garbage collectors, exception handling systems and other run-time features
>C-- is a target platform for the Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Some of C--'s developers work or have worked on the Glasgow Haskell Compiler

c but it does more shit for you
in fact, basically just what said

I'm reading the docs and this is a surprisingly well-made language. And as far as I can tell it's not just translating to something else and compiling that, it's actually a real compiler.
Maybe with a sed filter this could be made useful