Why does printer technology never change? We're still using the same overpriced inkjets for the past 30 years now

Why does printer technology never change? We're still using the same overpriced inkjets for the past 30 years now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0DxuXd3vc
ebay.de/itm/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3620DWF-Multifunktionsgerat-Duplex-Wi-Fi-neuwertig-JG-/361939539727?hash=item544547170f:g:5aQAAOSwTM5Y27am
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>We're still using the same overpriced inkjets
>inkjets
>2017

get a load of this fucking pleb

Make way for the king.

>Scanning
>Copying
>Printing
>Can send an e-mail to the printer with a PDF attachment and it will automatically print out the PDF
>Lots of other cool features
>Cheap as fuck ink
>$60

The base technology being the same doesn't really bother me, but why in the fuck are printers still so insanely annoying to use? A single home printer is okay if a bit annoying, but enterprise printers are the fucking tenth circle of hell.

Why are there still inkjets at all.

We all know why, because you dumb goys keep buying them, but maybe it's time to put them out of our misery. Hopefully when boomers die out, so will inkjet printers.

BUY LASER, NIGGA

>not using a dot matrix printer

>not using 3d printer with a pen attached

Laser printers are still too expensive, it's kinda hard to justify the cost when you just use the printer to print out school reports or receipts

youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0DxuXd3vc

HP pagewide inkjets are pretty GOAT, got them installed in the office instead of lasers

>the king
>not even laser

when you step up to SOHO and medium business printers, you leave behind all the headaches of consumer printers, and enter a world of a printer which doesn't break down,
and has reasonably priced ink, as well as CIS systems.

so you can buy more ink

Don't forget the insane clusterfuck that is HP consumer printer drivers.

Toner -$10
Pickup roller- like $3.
A tard could manage to replace it's parts, even the fuser, which doesn't really break unless you feed it something other than paper. You don't need a new printer for home use.

Any recommendations?

toner is cheap as shit, but new drums aren't, as they are like $60
i've got an epson WF3620 works wonders, and there's the WF3640 if you need an extra paper tray

i picked my WF3620 up for £50 damaged box and no issues works great as a label printer, photo, scans, and faxes fine.

even got 300 pages from the setup cartridges, also there's loads of 3rd party refillable cartridges, as well as the CIS systems.

Are the business printers like WF3620 more difficult to use than most consumer printers?

>inkjets

Nah man.
That's how i know it's boomers who buy those fucking ink shits. Because looking for cheaper equivalent online is beyond them.

>he thinks laser printers can print professional photgraphs

get out of the basement once a decade will ya

wtf why are printers so much more expensive in Europe?

I can only find the WF3620 for €150 brand new. I can't find any used units.

no if anything they are easier, as you can use it without any extra software, plug power in, either connect to an access point or ethernet cable, and you can use it without any extra drivers, and most features work without a computer.
well fuck me first time i've looked up drum prices and they've dropped a shit ton, since last time, good job i've still got the laser printer in the shed.
just found this one ebay.de/itm/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3620DWF-Multifunktionsgerat-Duplex-Wi-Fi-neuwertig-JG-/361939539727?hash=item544547170f:g:5aQAAOSwTM5Y27am

>no if anything they are easier, as you can use it without any extra software, plug power in, either connect to an access point or ethernet cable, and you can use it without any extra drivers, and most features work without a computer.

Dude that sounds fucking amazing. So what exactly do you use then if there's no special, shitty official program/driver on the computer?

Sorry for the retarded question but I really want to buy a printer under $200 that will last me a long time and doesn't require bullshit setup.

the driver built in to windows/OSX/ubuntu, just search printer in the start menu, click add printer/scanner then click add device on your printer and thats it.

Sounds easy as fuck.

How about with Android and iPhones? Are they just as easy too or do they require special apps?

Because some people need to print more complex shit than a page of text. I fabricate ads for a living, and when you need to print up some posters, or a tarp, or anything vinyl based, or really anything that needs to have good colors and quality but without costing a fortune that latex printers or sublimation would result in, inkjets are the way to go. The only thing I use a laser printer for is printing out emails.

Duplex unit for my printer just arrived by mail. With it, I have now almost fully upgraded HP 4100 printer.

Old HP printers are so fucking good.

Do you use printers that can print metallic ink? Are those really expensive?

Yeah, I use a Roland printer for most of my work, and it supports metallic ink cartridges, though I rarely use them, as they do cost a premium and most people don't want to shell out for it. The printer cost 28,000$, though it's a professional grade one, and you could probably get something for a lot less for personal use. It still wouldn't be anything cheap, mind you. And if you just want to do some stickers or shirts with metallic ink, you're better off making the designs and then getting a printing company to print them out for you.

They really are impressive machines, they're built to a completely different standard than modern printers and it shows. Those suckers weigh way more than you'd expect from a printer of that size.

You're right, the standards were indeed completely different back then, in that they were way worse. Modern printers shit all over these in terms of efficiency and functionality.

My obsolete printer does everything I want from it.

>it's cheap
>unbreakable
>I can refill it using toner in a bottle
>no DRM
>35 pages per minute is not that bad
>acceptable quality

I saved hundreds of dollars by using it and I have Designjet for anything that has to be in color or big.

>WF3620

Thanks for the tip, I just bought one for $89.

> Why does printer technology never change?
But it does. Apart from various internal improvements there also are some like pic related that made some more consumer-friendly changes.

Pic related also didn't exist 30 years ago.

It's an actual high resolution compact color printer that even seals the paper.

Arguably it features not entirely cheap consumables and has no maintenance mode and stuff, but it's quite fancy as a piece of technology.

Because nobody gives a shit about reading paper anymore. We send everything by email or read it on web pages.

>HP
>Ink
>The king

I'm done with ink. I have no need for color, and printer manufacturers make it very difficult to use third-party cheap ink (your print head will eventually die). I need a multi-function printer. I went with a laser. I chose the Brother MFC-L2720DW and I love it.

My sister has three young boys in elementary school. They have homework projects that require color printing almost every week. Also, her kids constantly print stuff out for fun. I bought her the HP Envy 5540 and the HP Instant Ink. She loves the printer and she loves that she never runs out of ink.

Printers are disposable. Just buying a new printer is cheaper than ink cartridges.

>HP
>king
>inkjet

Enjoy your (((drivers))), user.

Why does printer technology even exists in 2017 at all? Who the fuck uses paper?

gooby pls hp open source drivers (hplip) are great.