How Americanised is your country?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM
youtube.com/watch?v=HbWZCoYK8Zg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*Americanized

Case in point I guess

Fairly.

Depends where you are here desu, we're very much so when it comes to media entertainment, although our own stuff is popular. Other than that all I'd say we have other than what I've mentioned would be fast food.

Australia seems very American to me, is that accurate?

A lot.

>privatized education
>no real health care
>obesity problems
>inequality

Yeah the spelling, pronunciation and just the different words we use is what makes us different, can't see that changing for a long time.

We have compulsory public schools

I always felt like it was more British desu.

Not at all.

Incredibly Americanized.
Pop culture, language, movies and music. all dominated by America.
I spent most of my time on this american website.
Mainly talking about west germany here though. I think east germany might be a little different.

So we do, and like yours, are crap. Private schools are somewhat better... like yours.

>language
how so?

Not enough desu

America is an evil country. I want it to die.

Chile is a smaller USA desu. We need Trump too

Is it even quantifiable? I suppose we consume a fair bit of American culture and know a lot more about it than most other European countries, but the primary culture is in no danger whatsoever.

Shamefur dispray

That's gonna be a long wall.

>how so?
Most Germans under the age of 20 speak better English than German.

In another generation or two, they'll have forgotten how to speak German completely.

So many Anglizismen, stuff like update, E-Mail, work-out, session etc is commonplace nowadays

Most Germans speak English, and it's usually "American English".

I knew two Swedish lads in uni that said Swedes speak together in English. They spoke in really thick American accents and thought the UK celebrated thanksgiving and played baseball.

Why would you want to be like America? The only good thing about America is their wealth. Everything else about them is terrible.

Never heard of your country until just this second desu.

Keep on not existing, friend.

wow that's kind of weird if true

Most Germans are decently fluent in English. American English

Even in german.
We call cellphones handys
We call Sweaters Pullovers

And often people mix the languages.

>Hide Them

Oh wish I could

But you're wrong, no one unironically doesn't speak German, except for some Türk diasporafags and the countless Arabs. Ethnic Germans are obviously fluent in their language

Chile is a smaller USA.

>inequality

>Never heard of your country until just this second desu.

You've never heard of Belarus? Jesus, man.

Shut up, Russian Canada

>Most Germans under the age of 20 speak better English than German.
No that is not actually true.

Do we have to turn this thread into Sup Forums-shit?

Not Americanized
More like NYC/LA ized

Sorry bro but LA/NYC have replaced London as the capitals of English speaking cool things.

America does not own Belarus.

No.

>We call cellphones handys

What do you call handjobs, then?

Belarus is basically Russia for all intents and purposes tbf

>Sorry bro but LA/NYC have replaced London as the capitals of English speaking cool things.

LA, NYC, and London are all the capitals imo.

Australia is Western California. We more in common with the Aussies than with any Rube/Redneck states.

>What do you call handjobs, then?
The closest would be the verb runterholen.

They just opened a McDonalds down the road from me

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM

not

This comment made me kek.

>America does not own Belarus.

He was joking, we don't literally think that other countries belong to us. Except maybe Puerto Rico, I guess, but that barely counts.

>runterholen

I love your language

Tbh, I'd say not at all really. The only difference I think I've seen is that politics has changed a bit, but I don't really know whether that's because of America or just the political situation atm. There was also a fad of "American BBQ" a while ago

A little bit but not a lot.

I agree, I used to agree with the other poster in that they were just english people but born somewhere sunny, but after speaking to more of them they really are just desert yanks

way too much
>turn on the TV american series
>go to the movies, 2/3 of the films are americans and the movie theater has a macdonald

Civilization is falling apart.

>Tbh, I'd say not at all really

Really? Weird, I thought American culture and products were everywhere in England (rock, rap, jeans, iphones, mcdonalds, hollywood movies, etc.).

I think as we take in more immigrants they'll rather adopt American culture than ours. I was in London the other week and there were these black girls calling each other niggas and talking all "yo yo" and shit. The fact that terms like person of colour and all the SJW shit is a thing here at all is bad sign.

I honestly think in the future the UK will just be shitskins speaking in American Accents. Tragic.

Very the only thing I notice when I'm at home is that we aren't as free with what we can buy, or are allowed to buy.

Go to a 7-11 in USAtown USA and you can buy booze and fireworks and whatever the fuck you want.

Go to a 7-11 in Canada you can buy smokes for 3x the price and you aren't allowed to buy like 5000 American-only candies, pop drinks, chips, ect ect

I'm blown away every time I visit with how much selection they have because Canada has strict food requirements / archaic booze laws.

They are, it's just that brits like to take credit for them.

>Go to a 7-11 in USAtown USA and you can buy booze and fireworks and whatever the fuck you want.

Depends on where you are, some parts of the Deep South can be absurdly strict about alcohol.

I dunno, are we calling iPhones and jeans part of American culture?

>I love your language
Is it common to learn German during school in America? I heard sometimes Americans choose it because they have German heritage but it seems kinda useless.

I mean I am glad I didn't have to learn German later because English is so much easier and more useful.

We are, but our culture is more predominant.

yeah it's pretty cool that you can buy beer just about anywhere. at least in the great lakes/midwest where I'm at, it may be different elsewhere

Movies and shit get dubbed though. But yeah, the language is influenced too much.

I don't really think that's jeans and iphones are American culture. We speak the same language, I could say you're "anglicised" because english stuff is popular in the US as well. People certainly don't want to be more like Americans, and your culture isn't really aspired to apart from music maybe, but we have our own twists

london and nyc are on the same level in terms of relevancy

>English is so much easier and more useful.

This is true, but I find German to be fun to speak and say your words, Shame it's not taught over here as mandatory, instead we learn French.

Really? Just checked your music charts and your current top films and most of them are American.

What are you talking about?

>Is it common to learn German during school in America?

Not really. Spanish is the most common by far, followed by French, and some schools offer Mandarin Chinese. My high school did offer German, but they shut down the program because not enough people signed up. So I got stuck taking Spanish for 4 years.

I know what you mean, but stuff like that is still a but minority. I suppose that's just JFs being americanised not the UK in general. Especially as the US becomes less cool I don't see that future of yours being a thing

Wew

It gets better, wichsen is my favourite term referring to hand stuff. Though that's more like Masturbating and not some one else getting you off.

Blasen would be oral sex, as in jemandem einen blasen (blow some one)

Ahh well hope you didn't mind my little German dirty talk rant

>archaic booze laws
Depending on the state or county, we have some of those too.

>I mean I am glad I didn't have to learn German later because English is so much easier and more useful.
German is a hard language, but it has a certain level of gravitas that the English language simply lacks (or at least, finds very hard to match).

Sometimes I give my feels German titles so that people will take them more seriously.

>We call cellphones handys
>We call Sweaters Pullovers
Isn't that bong slang?

yeah I was going to say exactly this. I was too old for Dora the Explorer (which teaches spanish) but I was hanging with my friend's nephew who is a little kid and they have a Chinese Dora now that teaches simple chinese words. shit was weird

I took a year of german in college which obviously was a waste of time (no offense)

>German dirty talk

I feel like that could be insanely hot or completely terrifying, depending on how it's being said.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbWZCoYK8Zg

Not him, but watching and listening to American stuff doesn't make you "americanised". If it changed your culture then yeah, but people still act like English people, use english slang, have english hobbies

>Is it common to learn German during school in America?
When I went to high school (in the 90s) the three foreign language options were French, Spanish and German. Of course, it was kind of a yokel high school in the suburbs.

I'm taking other than media entertainment (because that's not all of what culture is), British music is also very popular around the world too I might add.

See

>So I got stuck taking Spanish for 4 years.
Same here actually.
English is mandatory but you kinda have to pick a third language and I picked Spanish because I couldn't get Italian.
Stop corrupting innocent americans!

>english hobbies
Such as..?

Drinking tea, playing soccer, raising taxes on the good people of Boston

It is not so much the watching it is the choice to watch it most.
I am not saying they are the cause I am saying they are the effect.

No, we call them mobile phones, everyone just says phone wether landline or not anyway though.

We call sweaters, jumpers instead.

>we will never live up to what japan expects of us

I also have seen dora over here. She teaches English.

It is kinda hard to gauge how much gravitas German has to a German.
It is just normal to me.

Your filename sounds like a dramatic movie title though.

>Your filename sounds like a dramatic movie title though.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Binge drinking

Remember that we literally speak the same language. The US has higher budgets for films because it's a bigger industry, if they're creating lots of entertainment then why not watch it? 1 in every 7 albums sold worldwide is from the UK. Does that make the rest of the world anglicised? I don't think it does, it just means we make good music

Does it effect your culture though? Watching American films doesn't make Brits feel like we should arm our police and listening to American pop music doesn't make us want to be demolish the welfare state or change our manners and customs.

All English sports (which is a lot), American sports are barely ever played here.
Drinking/pub culture and more.

>we don't literally think that other countries belong to us
Fuck off liberal shit

>Does it effect your culture though?
Isn't media a big part of culture?

I am not saying it has to brainwash you but I still feel like looking at the box office or charts is a good gauge of how current culture operates.
TV and sport events would also be part of it of course. I don't really want to take anything away from you guys by saying how much you also get from america.

They were pulling you leg m8

That's a big nose.

also a nice title

It should be "Von dem Rand" and "einer Aufgabe" though in that context.
Also "nur einer Aufgabe" would be even better.

>drinking
Not uniquely English, though... I was expecting something more like trainspotting, making 'tut-tut' noises at things and finding the entire world generally displeasing.

Media is a part of culture but it isn't core culture like how people act, view the world and hold themselves etc. Watching American things shouldn't change how I view the world or conduct myself daily.

Let's be honest here we would all prefer to watch stuff made by our own countries but only watch American stuff because they have those really high budgets which btfo other countries.

>Watching American things shouldn't change how I view the world or conduct myself daily.
Again I didn't mean to imply that watching those Americanizes you. Just that you are already fairly Americanized if most British people chose to consume mainly American media.

0% no yankee influence here.

Drinking in the context of pub culture.

Well we do those as well. You're wrong about the drinking though, it really is quite different to the rest of the world as far as I know. I work in the financial centre of London, and it's totally normal to go to the pub at lunch. If you're important, you can come back 3 hours later drunk and noone will bat an eyelid. Then people go out after work and drink some more, get the train home at 1am and do it all again the next day. This happens all week. Pubs really the heart of the social life of an English person.

They may have failed in 1812 but they eventually got through.

We mostly watch British television and listen to British Music though, films are another story because our budgets are so low we can't compete.

>born too late to witness europe in its prime
>born too early to explore the cosmos
>born just in time to experience american cultural domination

Honestly, that's on the wane and has been for decades. America can't throw it's weight around like it used to be able to, and the average American definitely isn't seen as "cool" anymore

With traditional media dying and internet globalism on the rise America's cultural grasp on the world is loosening desu.

>If you're important, you can come back 3 hours later drunk and noone will bat an eyelid.
I'm pretty sure that's how it works here too, though maybe it depends on HOW important you are.
>pubs
Can you delineate how it might be different from bars in the US? Because it sounds like the same thing.