Europeans and the Wild West

It has come to my attention that a sizable amount of Europeans are interested in the Old American West.

Since I am living not to far away from Deadwood, I figured I knew enough to satisfy some questions Europeans have about it.

Ask away!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Bean#Films.2C_books_and_television
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Was there ever a time of near anarchy that movies show or is it just memes ?

You're like 50 years late, but it was a really big thing for my dad and his whole generation.

Bump for interest

The closest one could get to anarchy would be illegal settlements in Indian Territory, like Deadwood. For the most part the total anarchy thing was a meme, you couldn't gun down twelve people and walk away without the US hunting you down one way or another.

HOWEVER if it was a justified shooting (Person was harming someone or committing a crime) people would look the other way, assuming they weren't killing someone important.

Oh well I suppose

Does he looks like native american? Best western btw.

No

Native Americans look vaguely Asian, not like tanned white people

How many duels did you participate in?

Aah well the big pull of the wild west always was the total freedom and adventure I think atleast thats for me.

Were the cowboy showdowns at the noon legit?

Who is the Texan hangman in Don Rosa's Life of Ungle Scrooge a parody of?

If you weren't retarded and didn't decided to just aimlessly murder and steal, generally things that just piss others off then the wild west was probably one of the freest environments in modern history.

Three

Well to be fair you could do whatever you wanted to out in the wilderness so long as you weren't caught, there weren't too many people straying off the well beaten track and it's pretty vast out here.

There's a reason the French called it an "Ocean of Grass"

"The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" type showdowns were pretty rare, since dueling was illegal and cowboys mostly tried to stay out of trouble, lest they lose their cattle, life, or what have you.

No clue, sorry

What was your region's involvement with the Civil War?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Bean#Films.2C_books_and_television

My particular region was trying to not be exterminated by the Sioux during the Civil War but some men enlisted in the Union at that time

The West in general supported the Union more than the South due to the Union still trying to protect Western settlements during the Civil War

Oh, there it is! Thanks

I had forgot the character's name had a vague recollection of the Hall of Fame books mentioning him being based on someone

>based on
Or rather is supposed to portray him then

here in the south people used to love it for being identified with such way of life, since a fair amount of those things were previously introduced in America by spaniards (people here still move the cattle in the same way). Also, the landscape of southern Spain is really similar to the midwest/west

Do people wear stetsons casually?

it was never "anarchy" but the closest to a night watchman style small state the West has seen since the middle ages
plenty of freedom and law was largely local, government only got involved if things got really out of hand and troops needed to be sent, like with the Indian wars

Ranchers do, your average Joe doesn't unless they're attending a Rodeo, and even then it's fairly uncommon.

A lot of practices people do here are reminiscent of Spanish tradition, Rodeo comes to mind