/urban/ + /architecture/

Vote: strawpoll.me/10421662

Battle of Skylines // Group H

Chicago - Moscow - Paris - Seattle

Other urls found in this thread:

edinburghnapiernews.com/2011/01/26/‘japan-high-tech-image-low-tech-reality’/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/balt/

Really strong group desu. Also the last one.

Chicago, USA

Fuck, I don't actually know who to vote for

yeah, really good group

Moscow, Russia

>that bronze building

>make a castle edition recently
>almost dead, half of the posts mine
>someone makes a castle thread
>1+ ppm

a lot of people like it

Chicago has the best skyline in the world desu

Sorry for the late reply koreaboo but this is what I meant about the difference between how japan looks and how japan is
edinburghnapiernews.com/2011/01/26/‘japan-high-tech-image-low-tech-reality’/

Japanese zoning rules to make comfy streets

Though some of his points hold true, I'm not sure how he could unironically think he'd find robots walking around in Japan. Japan is just a normal country, with some cutting edge tech, yet also some lesser tech aspects to counter them out, with some areas more developed than others. That's the reality of it. He also acts like Tokyo is the only city in Japan that's truly modern, when in reality, every larger city follows the same standards Tokyo does. And the electric car part might have held true back then, but as of now, Japan has one of the highest number of electric car owners in the world, with the highest number of charging stations per capita.

What really boggles me here though, is that he claims there is no fast rail. Which there is literally everywhere except Hokkaido (which I'm going to assume is the "Northern Japan" he mentions). So basically, he was sent off to rural Hokkaido and expected the same standards as Tokyo. And yeah, it doesn't work like that. That's something that applies to all countries. Rural living will never be like urban living. I don't expect anywhere in Finnmark to be like Oslo, just as you probably don't expect living in Toronto to be like living in Iqaluit. Japan have their priorities too in relation to population, and Hokkaido is simply not as big as the rest of the country.

And thus, he generalizes. "All of Japan is like this because where I lived was like this and the reality didn't live up to delusions I created for myself". This seems to be a common trend among English teachers that go there, though.

I mean fuck, my own country doesn't even have rail in the north, and we're rich as fuck.

Because no one lives in your "country"

>America didn't even adopt chip and pin until late last year

Skyscrapers should stay out of Europe 2bh

It's really dull from below, literaly nothing except one mall.

It is painted in colour of company that owns it-rosneft.

Building looks good, honestly. It's like the Intempo done right.

>What really boggles me here though, is that he claims there is no fast rail.
>Japan
>no fast rail
???

>Robots, high speed trains, electric cars, and cutting edge electronics; you know what country I’m talking about, right? Japan. But, move away from the bright, hi-tech lights of Tokyo, and you will find none of the above anywhere to be seen.
>high speed trains
>you will find none of the above anywhere to be seen
Gotta wonder what they offer in the UK for him to be disappointed by that aspect

the fuck is this idiot talking about. too long and sounds too try hard.
japan has ever kept a bunch of low-tech stuff even on purpose, and both in private and in public. a good example is electric wires. and a bunch of people from low tech dilettantes to normal teenagers preserve old stuff.

how can a person be this much serious and get the wrong idea about high tech crap in japan. and let me say one thing, aside from obvious high tech ones that have a sci-fi look, actual high tech things and landscapes at least i feel it is in daily life here in tokyo are different from what hes mentioning.

Well, the UK probably does have slightly higher standards of living, but it doesn't have more to offer when it comes to high speed rail for sure...

How is this even a competition?

Moscow has a clump of skyscrapers, same for paris. Seattle skyline has jack shit besides the skyneedle.

Chicago is so vastly superior to the other options

>a clump of skyscrapers
Well, yeah. That's how a skyline is formed.

By one clump of a few blocks?

Essentially. That right there is no less of a clump, just a wider one.

Probably. Minneapolis is my favourite though.

that tower in the middle is Metropolis af

During the day

Chicago is easily the best of this group though Moscow, Paris and Seattle are all decent atleast

i think Seattle is the most aesthetic honestly

la defence is the sexiest desu. Moscow's ibc is just cyb as hell

>Chilehaus

Thieves

unfortunately I can't enjoy it as it's russian

Does North York have a skyline?

paris

well, yeah

hello tuna

one of city that i want to visit
but it usally become target of terrorist

hello

I doubt there is any threat anymore

I'm most possibly biaised but la defense has a really singular and well organized urbanism and most of (not all) the buildings looks cool. Urbanism is unique imo as it'a built around a lot of square and each place has skyscraper with a different architecture style contrary to anglo cbs wich are planned around streets (don't know if it makes sens ?)
Moskova city is really nice but not large enough yet and lack low and medium rises
Chicago is GOAT but you'll find the same urbanisme and similar (not as good tho) architecture anywhere else in the us
Seattle is neat but that really bc of the mountains in the background imo

So yeah i would pick ld but all of them are good

Except maybe Frankfurt all European skyscrapers are newer constructions. All the ones in Moscow are literally brand new paid for by the government - not a single skyscraper existed before.

Yeah, blocks and blocks of skyscrapers vs a superblock with a handful of towers

It has to start somewhere...

Wait... there's no ID on Sup Forums ?!? I can reply to myself and no one will know? wow

reminder that most of this city is denser than the skyscrapper infested "cities" out there

I'll know

And how can they even compete?

>br
>complain about infestations in other places

;^)

yeah but you have to be pretty autistic to do that

Compare Shanghai 20 years ago to today...
Things can change fast

I am leaving for Svalbard in the future Tbh

So what?

The competition is which has the best skyline, and none of them can compete with chicago in any way

shame Toronto didn't make it out of the groups

meanwhile seoul ...

sexiest city in north ameica desu.

>you'll find the same urbanisme and similar (not as good tho) architecture anywhere else in the us

Hardly

That's depressing. I'm glad I live in a small country... so much better

you can cherrypick good photos of Seoul too

Seems like even in the cherrypicked photos you still always see the commieblocks

That's depressing. But it wouldn't be half bad if there wasn't pollution and the buildings were not that godawful design.

What's its name again?

>city
>wide river running through it

Terrible

what's wrong with korean commies

they are not like these in eastern europe

breddy neat

ugly and soulless no matter where you go

>Terrible
It looks cool senpai, though I think there should be some green around it.

Commieblocks are awful no matter the style. They were alright when the other buildings looked similar, but now that everything looks so sleek and modern these things are just an eyesore.

What building is that, looks fokking nice. Is it real granite?

chicago strikes me as a blacker, more crime-ridden toronto

it's jamsil,song pa goo , one of gangnam three district

what does "soulless" even mean
modern commies look sleek aswell

Anything that isn't neo ghotique, neo classique or art déco

I mean, regarding what has been built since the 60s, chicago still has really fucking nice post modernism and nice high tech but for most of the building it's normal us architecture. Nothing really interesting regarding the urbanism for what I know too

Still best skyline in america by far imo but I just find LD more intersting

Carbide and carbon building. Its real granite

The guy who owned the company wanted the top to look like a champagne bottle

>Nothing really interesting regarding the urbanism for what I know too

Elevated subway throughout the downtown.

Two and three level roads downtown

Boulevards that connect all the large parks

Coast/beach that is all public parks

because of commie block's shit appearance
the seoul city gov make a regulation that
you greedy pigs build beautiful block
I will post some example

At the end of the day it is all subjective but row after row of commies that all have the same design, same color, and are the same height look awfully bland and soulless. Kind of like the stereotypical American suburb.

in korea the resident of old commie block want to rebuild their old one to new one
this is plan of above one's rebuild

old commie block , the present

much better

City neighborhoods > suburb

planning

and this is latest commie block

Are these pictures for Ants?

>Elevated subway throughout the downtown.
>Two and three level roads downtown
>Boulevards that connect all the large parks
>Coast/beach that is all public parks

I wouldn't really call this interesting urbanisme

In LD each distric is built around a square with a lot of artwork. Each district has a slight difference in architecture style and you can quickly go to the center of LD from anywhere

La def follows the anthens charter with a separation between transport (under the esplanade) pedestrian and between workplace, shops, ways of transport and housing.

LD follow also a lot of urban axes of historic Paris (axe historique from the louvre and axe of the champs de mars) so it's also fully integrated to the rest of the city

Chicago is ""just"" a huge distric with some really cool buildings right next to your random modern or international skyscraper with nothing original aside from some really cool buildings and the size of the loop.

Sorry for bad english

no it looks like honeycomb more

>Chicago is ""just"" a huge distric with some really cool buildings right next to your random modern or international skyscraper with nothing original aside from some really cool buildings and the size of the loop.

But that isnt true at all

There are a lot of neighborhoods in Chicago with a distinct style of architecture

As well as numerous architectural significant structures throughout the city