Why didn't Linus Torvalds just write his own compiler?

Why didn't Linus Torvalds just write his own compiler?

because he's not mentally ill

because he's a nigger
any reasonable person has built his own compiler

Because he got one for free and didn't give a shit about where it came from.

Because he wanted a hobby project that might be useful to someone some day.

It was a hobby project and he wasn't expecting some obese neckbeard to be crying about it 26 years later.

because gcc did the job

Because he's an hobbyist

All Linus did was carbon copy MINIX as a hobby, at first it was just a tiny kernel and he could only do so because a compiler existed for it (gcc). He didn't have any interest in writing his own compiler or even his own OS.

When he released his hobby kernel the people at GNU (back then they actually had good developers at MIT/Stanford like Sussman, Knuth, ect) then did a ton, TON of work to integrate it into the GNU platform RMS had reverse engineered like all the AT&T coreutils.

There were many legal problems back then too, you couldn't just roll your own compiler without some kind of legal defense which GNU had at the time backed by universities.

That said Linus hates new gcc but doesn't want to switch to CLANG for numerous reasons like not supporting a ton of architectures. There's a few other compilers, like pcc but we're all stuck with gcc because that ship has sailed and it's just way too difficult to rewrite at this point unless you had a team dedicated to it with funding and 5 years to spare.

OpenBSD for example maintains their own gcc (GPL vers 2) fork and I think a few other distros do too. They have same issues with CLANG

You people need a girlfriend

that's just like, you're opinion, man

No I don't
I need a boyfriend

> Aha! you said it to these nerds, George. Gon get dem grilfrends son, aha

Faggot

is it your first day?

No. I just want to purge degenerates from Sup Forums

who will be left?

go back to r_thedonald, fucking nu/pol/

I've been around since /new/.

Nat soc was the greatest thing to happen to Sup Forums. Libertardism was an awkward teenage phase.

any extremely strong political opinion is an awkward teenage phase

Nobody's feelings are hurt but yours being hurt by people joking about being gay, you've just destroyed the thread with your retarded newfag spam and epic alt-reddit teenager reaction images.

nys

t. davis

>you've just destroyed the thread

>read the dragon book
>didn't write his own compiler

The why even ever bothering with the fucking dragon book to begin with?

Are the LotR movies considered "old movies" these days?

[spoiler[pls don't say 'yes'[/spoiler]

Because linus is a retard, he runs a shitty tech revire channel he canny make a compiler

I use whatever image I see fit

Le edgy redditor outcast

OP specifically mentioned torvalds you aut

I'm a gonna hold you down and rape your asshole until you cum.

Really? You expect a guy who puts a water cooled server in a rack to write his own compiler?!??!? The guy can barely write his own name!!!

>Minix
Linux is not a microkernel.

Because there is no purpose to it, he was busy doing good shit like Git

Git came WAY after Linux started getting popular.

>Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment

He's talking about the kernel. "Linux" is the correct thing to say.

W-we can be b-boyfreinds. I like t-to wear programming socks a-and I have smooth l-legs.

I'm so lonely

Install Gentoo with proof and we have a deal.

J-just one? T-to share?

You can be my boyfriend if you want.

Email? :3

give discord and I'll harass you, too~

>Sup Forums overflow has gotten so bad that they're getting butthurt and creating shitty reaction images to defend themselfs
kill me now

Show yours.

>Another thread ruined by literal rampant faggotry

>I'd just like to interject for a moment
Don't. Just don't.

If you clowns had spent more time programming than you spend interjecting HURD would have been a working operating system rather than a bad joke that even the most desperate debianistas cannot rescue.

So while you clowns set up your lemon stand on Linus' front lawn real programmers have already made Redox OS with a micro kernel like you so dearly love but are incapable of making. And that is pretty impressive given that you started by taking L4. I bet the finished product will not be interjectedly named L4/hurd.

>carbon copy minix
>minix is a microkernel
>linux is not
really made me think

What's wrong with the new gcc?

yes

isn't this a level in a game?

>we /ggbt/ nao

Seriously. No biological females allowed.

Did you?

>purge degenerates from degenerate tabloid website
heh

>people talking about technology
>on a technology board
>degenerates

Why would you?