Are eGPUs the future?

Are eGPUs the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GPJGVbdXgrs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

CPU's capable of high end graphics are the future. Graphic cards have only been a thing since 1999

no, and neither is your shit ass meam controller

They are an abomination that tech retards buy.

Same people who buy $1000 juicers or fitbits thinking it is actually a good idea.

Video cards have been a thing since PCs were a thing. They weren't called graphics cards until the late 90s

>Pairing a GPU with some mobile """i7""" dual-core which throttles after 5 minutes.

>buying a $50 eGPU adapter is the same as wasting $1000 on a fitness device

ok

It's a dumb makeshift solution for poorfags with cognitive biases.

>Radiator
>Shitty plugs
europoors and ruskies plz leave

>they didn't get the GOAT 2570p

LMAOING @ U

>tfw 18 poor fag
>most ive made is 11 an hour
>think im fuck for pc gaming
>find out about pairing a x230 with a external gpu
>everyone says its shit

is it posible to get good performance with stuff just like tf2 or csgo?

>Graphic cards have only been a thing since 1999
get the fuck out

not the best but they're alright

"i7" doesn't indicate anything about the specifications of the part, you brainless ungulate.

How does that actually work? Can the eGPU feed the picture back to be displayed on the laptop screen, or do you need an external screen too?

That's literally just memory and a DAC, though. It's not an accelerator.

>that table cover
>that water radiator

you must be eurodollar

There's a difference between not affording a dGPU and simply not wanting to lug around it for everyday use, though.

That thing can't process shit, it only works as an interface to tell the monitor what to draw, but the calculation were made by the CPU until the first graphic accelerators, so 1995.

doubt so

Only for Surface Pro and other ultraslims. Otherwise, no.

Yes. There's minimal practical difference between current desktop and laptop CPUs, and PCI-E x4 is adequate for most GPUs. A laptop with a solid CPU + external GPU is an excellent desktop replacement with many advantages.

You can feed it back with an nvidia card, but you lose some performance because you're sharing the bandwidth used to send the raw data to the card. It's generally OK if the GPU isn't bad.

>$11/hr, let's say 8.25 after taxes
>$600/$8.25/r
>72 hrs

You're 18, so you probably still live with your parents. School's about to let out, so just ramp up your hours and work more and spend less on whatever you spend you money on, and you'll be able to afford a decent gaming PC in a month.

Nigger-rigging some external gpu with power supply to a laptop with marginally decent performance will just end up wasting your limited money.

Radiators are vastly superior to forced air heating systems, my house (USA) has them.

Most US houses have forced air because it's much cheaper to install.

Egpus suck balls. They run like 40% worse than when they're in a desktop and they also add latency to your games.

How are they superior in any way?

Build a cheap rig with pentium g4560 + gtx 1050. Will be totally glorious.

hrs

literally half of that, the stuff around here that lets you do that is borderline slave labor under the table

you'd make more money part time at minimum wage

besides i cant afford to drop 2 or 3 paychecks on something that wont get me to go job or saving for college

In the US, 11 an hour is way higher than minimum wage. Minimum wage in the US (federally) is like 7.55 USD.

Some states do a little higher (8.25 or so).

>is it posible to get good performance with stuff just like tf2 or csgo?
Yeah, those games are trivial to run. Even a low-end GPU attached with expresscard would be massive overkill.

>Doesn't dry your skin in winter
>Doesn't circulate microbes causing breathing issues (well documented)
>More efficient
>Floor is warmed via pipes
>Building retains heat when door is opened
>Won't vent CO into rooms if the furnace fails

California is at $10.50, so it's not too far off

im in the us

my last job i worked 10 hours a day for 8 days straight and made 400 bucks

well my dell inspiron from 5 years ago can barley play anything so it either overkill or shit

>Doesn't dry your skin in winter
Regular central heating still dries your skin
>Doesn't circulate microbes causing breathing issues (well documented)
Even if its documented I've never seen it be an issue
>More efficient
Not going to argue against that
>Floor is warmed via pipes
This happens in older houses with central heating that have the vents in the floor
>Building retains heat when door is opened
How does a central heating system not do this?
>Won't vent CO into rooms if the furnace fails
What fucking year do you live in? I haven't seen a furnace in a house built in the last 30 years

Radiators don't dry your skin.
They are constantly radiating heat, so if a door is opened the room is quickly warmed.

> I haven't seen a furnace in a house built in the last 30 years
Bruh, what do you think heats the air that comes out of your vents? A coal oven?

I didn't realize it was still called a furnace
Modern ones prevent CO2 from getting into the system and most are electric anyway

3D accelerated graphics cards that is, retard

>i need a laptop
>always leave it at desk plugged in
Why do people do this?

I think so. With thunderbolt and new USB 3 standards coming around, I think we'll be seeing quite a bit more docks coming out for eGPUs. As laptop CPUs get even better, sometime into the future we will probably see eGPUs being more common that you can easily dock/undock without any hacks being done.

Most are gas, because electricity is by far the most expensive way to heat a building.
The heat exchanger will eventually fail, as those furnaces are not meant to last more than ~20 years.

Not saying that forced air is bad, because usually it's the only choice you've got.

People like the *option* of portability, even though they will probably never need it, and could get a much better computer for the price in a desktop form factor.

It's the same reason you see people driving around in shiny 4 door trucks with a 5ft bed instead of a sedan. They may use the bed 5 times during their ownership of the truck, but people always rationalize it to themselves because they like the way it looks.
They just don't want to say they got a truck because they like the way it looks; that it's a symbol of things like independence and self-sufficiency.

It's an interesting psychological thing I've noticed.

>you can easily dock/undock without any hacks being done
But this is already easily doable with a thinkpad on a docking station using ExpressCard instead of mpcie.

Yeah but that's an older thinkpad. I'm talking about regular consumer laptops, and you can't just plug in the expresscard willy nilly can you? Don't you have to reboot? And also initially do some Setup 1.1 bs?

i bet he uses it to play memegames

>I didn't realize it was still called a furnace
The fuck'd you think it was

Oh right, just mentioned that things like Thinkpads, Elitebooks and whatnot work better imo because of the easily upgradeable CPU so you can shove an aftermarket quad core like i did if you need to and if your heatsink can handle it. I'd really like for upgradeable processors to be a thing again on modern laptops.

>and you can't just plug in the expresscard willy nilly can you? Don't you have to reboot?
Yeah but a reboot isn't mandatory, a quick sleep cycle also works.

>And also initially do some Setup 1.1 bs?
Never had to do such thing, i don't even know what does that mean. Here's my old setup btw

>Yeah but a reboot isn't mandatory, a quick sleep cycle also works.

That's the issue I'm talking about though, I'm fine with doing that but the average person would rather it just work as soon as it docks, like a normal dock does without a card; ie monitors display instantly. I think this will be possible soon with the new higher bandwidth of USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt standards.

>Never had to do such thing, i don't even know what does that mean

I honestly don't understand it either, it's some program you have to boot to on certain RAM configurations in laptops to allow the memory space needed for the eGPU to use. I only read about it while researching the Thinkwiki how to do it on my T420 without the nvidia board and 8GB of RAM.

>well my dell inspiron from 5 years ago can barley play anything so it either overkill or shit
Even a C2D would play those great with something like a GTX 950 via expresscard.

If you don't want to lug around a dGPU, build another desktop. There are many advantages that offset the extra cost, unless you cannot afford one, which goes back to my point of being a poorfag with cognitive bias.

Get a second hand i5-2400 OEM PC for around $100+ and an rx 460/gtx 1050 for around $80-100 or second hand gtx 750 ti for around $40-50. you'll easily be able to play tf2 and csgo all day long

youtube.com/watch?v=GPJGVbdXgrs

t. Never used one

Even if I can afford a separate desktop for gayming in any location I might want it, it's much more convenient with just one computer with one OS image to maintain.

>If you don't want to lug around a dGPU
Also, I don't plan to. I'm fine with having a GPU-less laptop for most daily things, but then go to some specific place for gayming.

I don't need an eGPU because my laptop with a GTX 1050 performs just fine in every game I want to play. Only children need 4k 144hz snakeoil.

Most likely APUs are, eGPUs are nothing but an interesting-to-see gimmick that looks awful in real execution.

I thought about this after we received a couple of the suck-ass cancer of a laptop that is the latest macbook Pro.
As usual Apple creates a sub-par product that pushes 3-rd parties to innovate and make substitutes and solutions for Apples lack of directions and constant need to be tech hippies.
Well rant aside and to the point...

The USB-C docking marked have expanded alot since the latest macbook pro and that spills over to the pc market.
Is this the real comeback for the docking station? or perhaps an expansion of the docking station.

And a usb-c to PI-express adapter is not that weird of a thought when you think about all the programs that need the capability of a high-end GPU, like CAD, 4k monitors. 3d modeling.

The laptop is the "future" and the stationary is the "stone age" and people will go to ridicules lengths to make their laptops "stationary-capable".

So yes, sadly the eGPU probably will be the future.

No. I used one over a decade ago before it became a meme. Laptops aren't meant for gaming though so there isn't much point in it.

>Graphic cards have only been a thing since 1999
If you mean graphics cards as in 3D accelerated, it's 1995/1996.

It's actually not a DAC, it used digital TTL signals for drawing on the screen, also there's no memory, MDA, Hercules and CGA used your RAM as the framebuffer, CGA already has DACs though if you have one with composite out.

>It's actually not a DAC
Yes, I realized the moment I posted that I should have written CRTC instead.
>there's no memory
Looking at the card it does seem you're right, but I have to admit that surprises me. How does that even work, when ISA doesn't support bus mastering?

Supreme bait

I think the future is no graphics card. One day your connection back to your ISP will be fast enough to support multiscreen high res video and you'll be able to use a render farm in the ISP's NOC to process all your intense video and CPU needs, cloud based.

Just for that convenience you sacrifice a lot of advantages to having a separate PC, which are so many I'm too lazy to list all:
>not limited to entry level GPU not bounded by the connection's bandwidth
>not limited to laptops with external GPU support
>ability to start with budget CPU/GPU for a desktop and upgrade later
>a backup PC if something breaks

>the future is cloud based
And it sounds like a really, really bad future.

>bad future
I don't think so. Think about it, you want 1000x the GPU power available in a single card at the time and can have just that. Game graphics could scale exponentially because consumers would now have access to bleeding edge technology.
Doesn't mean you couldn't have a GPU local too, but now you can access multiples the power without having to invest in the equipment yourself.
Would also mean devices like tablets or phones could access high end graphics without sacrificing battery or integrating 3D discreet graphics.
From a privacy perspective, not sure there'd be much issue with just offloading 3D transforms anyhow.

Think it could enable multiuser VR using just a phone for worldwide MMORPG style gaming.

The future user.

Don't listen to the shits. I use a eGPU with my older graphics card, mostly on the go and it plays most modern games on medium. Not Total War though.

eGPUs are retarded. The argument is always about how they can just come home and olug their laptop into their bastardized dock of sorts and get "desktop" performance. At that point just get a desktop and take the same PSU and GPU you already have and stick it inside of a desktop build.

As an idea, eGPUs are a novelty and nothing more. Some thing that makes you go "huh, that's pretty neat".

I think eGPU is a great idea. Why isn't it? If paired to a reasonable connector like Thunderbolt which is basically an external PCIe, why wouldn't it deliver as much performance as a card inside your computer using the same PCIe BUS?

Because it's not as good nor as simple as say, a dedicated GPU within the laptop. Look at Nvidia GTX 10xx series of cards. They're able to stuff a full blown desktop version of the 6GB 1060 inside of laptops now because of how energy Efficient they are and consequently, how little heat they push out. Rather than relying on a home made solution of eGPU, you could go after upgrading a laptops MXM slot for gpu upgrades.

Only downside of course is price of mobile gpus. But if a market were to develop for it, prices would eventually come down

How do express-card e-gpu enclosures run? Massive performance hit for mid-range cards?

>he doesn't know about ThinkPad Advanced Dock

But if there was an external BUS with the same speed as your internal then you could have a machine with Intel graphics and when you wanted to, lug in (or access a cloud based) eGPU with many times the performance and current tech without having to replace the machine itself.
You in theory could even pair your phone and tablet to this same device or use it across a network as long as bandwidth was sufficient.

In the end, the only difference between an eGPU and GPU is where it is in relation to your physical device.

Not using good thermal paste was the mistake user
>found the newfag

I have a HP laptop with a dead Igpu

it needs to be reballed but that would cost almost as much as a whole new laptop

it boots up fine with a glowing black screen

would i be able to use a Egpu? i understand id need a seperate screen and PSU essentially making it a desktop

if i were to remove the wifi card and use the connector would it work without any bios configuration??

id be using a linux kernel with pre compiled gpu drivers for the gpu btw

I used a eGPU for a few months while I was slowly gathering the other parts for my current PC. I did it with a 2011 macbook pro, using an R9 Fury over expresscard.
It worked really well, but there are so many small issues (cheap dock still needs a separate PSU, any small fluctuations in the connection freezes up the whole system, needs a wonky startup program to work on windows 7) that need to be sorted out before eGPU can really become accessible.

>he uses a housefire acer
>he doesn't know that based thinkpads and elitebooks can handle quad cores

It's alright you're just gonna get bonked in the head with the bandwidth limitations.

In fairness, they're also a nightmare to fix, leaks can destroy your home, they require a lot of space, and you can hurt yourself touching them. Also, lack of airflow in a house is bad in its own way.

modular general purpose GPUs are new. Old PCs went from having socketable chips on the main board to soldered chips with scrolling processors to having stuff like AGP and PCI slots for general purpose GPUs

Just buy an older desktop to go with your old laptop. You can then play old games.

Perhaps it would work, but with the built-in GPU in that state, I wouldn't bet much on the system itself continuing to work. If the GPU is bad, it may well be putting noise on the bus which could cause the system to go tits up at any moment. I wouldn't waste any money on a system in that state.

>glorious
you have to go back

Because a laptop with thunderbolt is expensive, thus wiping out any money savings you planned, and now you limit your laptop choices to those with thunderbolt which is few and far inbetween, instead of just using any laptop you already own which can be $200 and build a fucking desktop.

Could be.
But only if the shitty laptop industry comes together and makes a decent standard for it and actually adheres to it.
The laptop industry are the fucking worst cunts around for drivers and standards.
So, unlikely due to that alone.

At this point in time, you'd be better off making a small computer build using micro or mini case.
Then get a suitcase for your travels and have a flatscreen monitor in it, keyboard, mouse, controller and any other gaming things if you are doing it for gaming, or electrical things if you are using it for accelerated processing.
Plus, you'll look like some mad fucking hacker to normalfags. You might even get reported to the cops by some of them! You can tick that off your bucket list.
Let's face it, are you going to be gaming much when you are in portable mode? A tablet is more than enough to be useful for portable and/or smartphone if all you want it for is note-taking and casual browsing.
Even a netbook with a decent browser. Most sites work fine, besides shitty sites like Youtube. Youtube has to be the worst example of an HTML5 videoplayer. Twitch too. No excuse. (well, maybe besides Twitch, fucking furries)

real gayumers use pic related u pleb

Not about saving money, about if it's the future. I think it could be. Wouldn't it be nice to buy 1 eGPU or eGPU array and allow all your devices to use it?
I still like the idea of an interconnect back to a NOC where you can access GPU arrays scalling to the thousands and drive gaming or VR into the next century while simultaneously allowing devices such as tablets and phones or cheap laptops since you;re bent on price to access it to gain access to quantum performance.

As retarded as this post is, discrete GPUs may not be a thing for consumer users in as little as 15 years.

maybe not the future but they make a nice present

I think it's insanely ironic.

When computing went from an academic circlejerk to being incorporated into the lives of people in everyday fields, the model was a large, powerful mainframe running a multi-user OS (*NIX) that serviced many terminals throughout the building. As technology progressed, and were able to do more locally, more and more of the computational load was pushed to the terminal. Now, the future that's being pitched is to transfer load back to a mainframe, and run connections to it as a service.

Really fondles your almonds.

Guys

Just listen to me guys

Hear my out on this

What if

Guys

Are you listening?

Guys

Check this out

What if

We put the GPU

In the monitor?

eGPU adapters are $300-400 for thunderbolt. No idea what you're smoking, I'd buy one in a heartbeat for $50

Given that I could just buy a new computer for $400 (sans videocard) why the fuck would I buy a gpu enclosure

Yeah thunderbolt ones are expensive as fug but M.2, mpcie and Expresscard adapters are everwhere for around $30 to $40, maybe he was talking about those.