Should I install Windows 7?

I don't give a shit about DX 12, I'm sick of Windows 10 in general.

My hardware is a R7 370, and an i3-6100 CPU.
I'm sure it's supported.

Any reason I should or shouldn't?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7
wsusoffline.net/
howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/
quora.com/Which-Windows-7-updates-should-you-avoid-and-why
hardenwindows7forsecurity.com/Harden Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Standalone.html
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2847882/prerequisite-updates-for-internet-explorer-11
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaCry_ransomware_attack#Cyberattack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nope.

Only catch is no Edge browser (which, with uBlock Origin is great). Also, use wsusoffline ad you're good to go.

Do you want to have a giant dick in your ass? Use 10.

Why would you downgrade to an obsolete OS?

This pretty much Why would you downgrade to an obsolete piece of shit like Windows 10? just install 7, do and you're good to go.

Install Windows 8.1
7 is too old.

I'm not sure who is right or if either of you are capable of reading

I'm using an i3 6100 (overclocked to 4.6GHz) and an RX470, and I've had absolutely no issues with hardware. One issue I had was the difficulty doing a USB install on a modern motherboard. I got around that by burning a DVD like it's 2009.

For context, I took the free upgrade to 10 and used it for six months before reinstalling Windows 7.

Dont install windows
install gentoo

Install TempleOS

Yes, unless you want Linux

after using windows 10 for a while i swapped to 7. it actually feels old now. looks nice and that but 10 just feels better. tried 8 too because i like having a taskbar on each monitor and that felt pretty much the same.

enjoy your malware

Windows 7 is the only good version of Windows.

That's the reason i tried the linux
OpenSuse 4something with gnome

Was easy to pickup. Spent like 3-4 weeks to acclimatize. No regrets, comfy as fuck. The only pain i got was the misunderstanding of package managers and a pain with Nvidea drivers.

There are even a lot of windows games here with ready-made wine presets

Yes.

I'm really not looking forward to the day when Win 7 becomes obsolete. I was so sick and tired of constantly battling with windows 10 on how to run my system - you spend so much time disabling bullshit features, removing fucking candy crush and disabling windows protector just so your notebook fans aren't spinning like crazy when idle just so another update can set this all back to default cancer settings.

If apple gets their hardware together in the next couple years i'll just switch to macbooks so I don't have to deal with ms crap

Why are these retards even on this board?

If you want to switch to appleshit you could as well just use linux.

you should install gentoo with the new amdgpu driver

Yes, obviously. Stay as long as the ride lasts, it will be over soon

If you don't play new games then XP can be still nearly fully used now. 7 will be even longer supported because it's the last good Windows ever. If you really have to, just dualboot W10+W7 or W10+Linux.

Will W10+W7 dualboot even work? Doesn't windows rewrite the boot section of disc on install?

lmgtfy.com/?q=How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7

I never wanted to dual boot two windowses, cause i run linux. I just asked other people about that little boot section, since i don't wan't to make effort on a thing that isn't very important for me.
As well as the guy who can potentially answer wouldn't spend much effort on writing "Nah, there is something something".

But you wanted to look funny and original.

So fuck you for not contributing anything.

I'm installing an SSD on my laptop tomorrow, clean slate.

Are there any downsides to installing Win7? Also I've got W10 ISOd on a DVD so I could update any time I'd want to.

>Are there any downsides to installing Win7
Over W10, really? Only games that are W10 exclusive.

Don't really give a shit about them or DX12, if I play on PC I play older shit mostly.

I mean security-wise or what have you.

windows8.1 is literally a faster windows7

dont you want a faster windows7? a windows7 with refresh/reset option and 2s boot time off a ssd?

faggot

>security-wise
Identical.

>windows8.1 is literally
trash

Win 8 was completely dropped by MS even though it's younger than 7.
No one uses 8.1 besides a few autists who installed 8 and whined it doesn't have a start button because they were retards installing a tablet OS on a PC.
8.1 won't be supported by anyone, it's 7 or 10.
10 is literally malware and spyware, use 7 or dualboot.
Use antivirus since viruses are based on exploits, so windows security doesn't mean shit.

>Win 8 was completely dropped
>8.1 won't be supported by anyone

what does that even mean you edgy tryhard autist

MS dropped support on 8 you stupid faggot. And since no one uses 8.1 MS will drop support soon too and devs will only bother to make software work for 7 and 10.

>MS will drop support soon too and devs will only bother to make software work for 7 and 10

no they wont you fucking retard, where the fuck do you get these ""facts"" from?

So what's the patrician W7 setup? I've got a W7 SP1 reinstall disc Dell gave me with my XPS laptop. Should I install all M$ updates so I won't get raped by malware?

Use wsusoffline.net/
It filters all telemetry and GWX updates. It's also a lot faster.

Windows 10 is the best desktop operating system ever. Use it. Please.

>Should I install all M$ updates so I won't get raped by malware?
You could but you only really need the wannacry update or just block the port with a firewall. If you care about viruses you need an antivirus. The updates are mostly placebo.

>The updates are mostly placebo
Heh... what a faggot

howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/
quora.com/Which-Windows-7-updates-should-you-avoid-and-why

hardenwindows7forsecurity.com/Harden Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Standalone.html

>convenience-rollup
DO NOT USE IT! IT CONTAINS TELEMETRI UPDATES AND THEY ARE UNREMOVABLE!

Updating Windows 7:

> [1] Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> [2] How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

> [3] April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

> [4] July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Avoid:
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3068708
KB3080149
KB3184143
KB971033

Full list (PS command)
get-hotfix -id KB971033,KB2902907,KB2922324,KB2952664,KB2976978,KB2977759,KB2990214,KB3012973,KB3014460,KB3015249,KB3021917,KB3022345,KB3035583,KB3044374,KB3050265,KB3050267,KB3065987,KB3068708,KB3072318,KB3075249,KB3075851,KB3075853,KB3080149,KB3123862,KB3150513,KB3139923,KB3081954

Uninstall:
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664

Install Windows 10 LTSB 2016

You should either manually install IE11 or get an install image that includes it (the Generation 2 installers from The Plebian Bay aren't bad: multiple editions, choose standard, OEM, or Daz activation) or WSUS will get stuck on that update

Only if you're into masochism

>You should either manually install IE11
IE11 has many prerequisites. Read here:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2847882/prerequisite-updates-for-internet-explorer-11

>or get an install image that includes it
Never. Ever.

>or WSUS will get stuck on that update
No, it works on 7SP1 2nd rollout just fine.

Also clean iso files:
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

And Simplix UpdatePack7R2
forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
Also curated updates list, even faster than WSUS and supports integration pre-installation + USB3 drivers.
7 and 2008R2 only

Cкaчaть = Download

Installation is even cleaner as it allows proper uninstall of individual updates. On WSUS uninstall fails.

Stick with Win 7. It and WHS 2011 (Based on 2008r2) just werks man. Been running since 2010/2011 respectively with zero issues. Swapped motherboards/ram/cpu on two machines and both the desktop and server installs just kept right on going. (Thanks DAZ). Win 7/2008r2 will be supported till 2020. So grab/dl all monthly sec rollups till the 2020 cutoff date then make a iso with all updates in case of total clean reinstall or be sure to keep a good working system backup image. Long as you keep your AV & Browser up todate you'll be fine. AV and Browser will still be supported long after the 2020 deadline, look at xp, it still supported and it "died" in 2014.

>Caring about muh clean iso for a closed source OS that comes compromised by default instead of saving yourself time with a torrented pre-updated installer

Lads, do you reckon win7 will be useable post-2020? Like, maybe someone will come up with a custom anti-malware solution to replace MSE and windows update

I will work just fine. MSE is just an antivirus, can always be replaced with whatever you like (preferably Common Sense).

It's called antivirus you fucking retard. The updates don't protect you from shit.

>preferably Common Sense
doesn't protect you from exploits you fucking retard

If you are retarded, maybe. I never had any issues with my PC, been using it like this for years.

>thinking still using Windows7 in 2020 will be Common Sense

>not knwing Windows 7 is currently supported until October 2021

He trolls. Just ignore him.

support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 7 is currently supported until 2021 October. Might even get extended past that if enough market share.

Just reinstalled Windows 7 after dealing with Windows 10 shit for a year. Once security updates stop coming, I'll just switch to a Linux distro.

Great post now off yourself kike

Well, I didn't believe you when you first stated it without proof, but now you've restated it again without proof, I'm convinced! Thanks!

I built my first computer last year, I didn't know shit and still don't. I literally googled parts I thought I needed and watched youtube to put it together. Installed Win 7 SP1 and even my dumb ass could find all the drivers and .NET shit (still don't even know what that is, just know I've seen it on every PC I've had so I knew I needed it) to get it to work. Nearly a year later and it's functioning well, never encountered anything that was broke as fuck or couldn't be fixed. Updates turned off from the second it booted.

I'd say do it. I'm still trying to learning linux so I can swtich over to that permanently though.

>hurr 7 is 7.5 years old, so it's too old

XP had market dominance when it was 7.5 years old, and it was just a year after it had received its 3rd service pack.

>he thinks updates matter

>bootloaders, how do they work?

Fuck you for "running linux" yet being clueless a about how boot processes work

>only a bit more than 2.5 years of life for Windows 7

>0.02 cents deposited to your poo account

>Cкaчaть

Nice try russiabro

Bought my thinkmeme 6 months ago, seller installed 10 on it, immediately downgraded to 7. 2 months ago decided to give 10 a try, downgraded again after a week.
Go for 7, only thing that'll make you think about upgrading is that "upgrade" is a nice word and "old system" sounds bad, it's just great for daily use

It will be systemdOS at that point. The battle for usable operating systems was lost in this decade because barely anyone did put up a fight. We're fucked either way, it's just a matter of by whom (ms/applel/redhat/googlel);

so what should i use? wsus only or simplix? or should i just install everything

Simplix or WSUS. I recommend Simplix, it's even faster than WSUS and better curated.

bls femanon, help me out with a windows 8.1 update guide, i can't find anything anywhere
here have a funni picture

Install Gentoo (Uranus edition).

Unfortunately 8.1 has very little market share and not many people maintain a list of updates for that OS. I suggest use WSUS offline and hope the curation they do is enough, since nothing like Simplix's update pack exists for that OS.
Btw, that powershell command includes some updates for 8.1 as well. Just run WSUS offline and after that use the PS command to verify. You shoud be able to uninstall if one of those updates got in there. Should, not "can" because I've heared about not being able to uninstall updates done via this method.

But why 8? You've got plenty of resources to get 7 up and running on any PC. It's simply a better OS. This comes from someone who uses all 7, 8.1 and 10 regularly.

Try Windows Embedded Standard 7. Fully customizable install and official support for a few more years.

>all these update autists
you can use unpatched windows and nothing will ever happen to you
if you fear about viruses only antivirus would protect you

You could try on of those prepackaged isos with all the updates. Some notable ones are made by teamos and generation2. Although it could be a risk

Skylake only has another year of support on 7. Just use 10 LTSB.

>Skylake only has another year of support on 7
so what, his PC will still work perfectly fine

>another year of support

How does that work, do they deactivate the driver after that date?

What's in v4.7 of net frameworks?

webm support and socket multicast

Do you really want to fear ransomware every time you use PC?

>Fully customizable
so you have access to kernel sources?
can you disable telemetry?

>downsides to installing Win7
you wannaCry?

Are you retarded or just pretending?

>Are you retarded
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaCry_ransomware_attack#Cyberattack

Just install Zorin OS and use the look changer to make it look like Windows. You'll never go back.

>implying Win7 hasn't already been patched against it

i know it was. but windows update mechanism is so shitty that even hospitals (!) had it turned off.

PS linux update full in background.

Are you retarded or just pretending?

I'm building a new PC with a ryzen cpu and I just noticed that support for windows 7 drivers has already been dropped.

I guess I have no choice but to get 10?

Just manually update it, asshole.

Manually update what? Windows 10?

>Any reason I should or shouldn't?
They will stop support for win7 in 2020 and then you'll have to switch anyway. Plus there is no real reason. You can also just get a win7 theme for win10 and it's the same