/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/09/more-power.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for fuck cuckheiser

what's the cheapest cordless over-ear headphones with at least 20 hour battery life that will last a few years?

>wireless headphones
fuck off they are all shit

t. beyerhiss shill

Recs please

>Budget
$100 or less

>Location
US

>Source
3.5 mm Ipod Classic and pc

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Semi open or closed

>Comfort level
somewhat to very

>Sound signature
Good bass
great mids
tolerable treble

>Past headphone
Tascam TH‑02
Panosonic RP-HTF600-S
Sony MDRZX100

(something I can wear in public)

There seems to be a lot of hype around powered monitors like the LSR305 but is there anything passive around that price point that is just as good?

DT770, 32ohm or 80ohm for iphone?

Why can't beyershills and senncucks just be united together ;-;

iPhones have a low output impedance so you might as well go with the 32 ohm version if it's the same price as the 80 ohms.

I have 250 ohm's that run at DECENT volume levels on my iphone, go with the 80's since you'll probably have a nicer time with them at your desk as well

>Budget
€200
>Location
Yurop
>Source
Moto G
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
High, will be worn up to 8hrs/day
>Sound signature
High noise reduction (passive only)
Good isolation
>Past headphones
This is to replace Etymotic Research mk5 that crapped out left channel after about a year.

>tfw replaced my headphone's plug
Awful soldering job but hey, it werkz

HD650 or X2 only care about sound

If I compress my lossy music files into rar, will I preserve bit rate?
Gonna get a new computer soon and want to avoid them degrading when I transfer.

Shure SRH840 Professional Studio

Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Reference Quality

p.s. take 15 minute breaks at least every 2 hours. don't wear headphones for 8 hours every day. ty. tinnitus sucks.

HD600

Status CB-1

Join the AKG masterrace.

They look a little big for IEM's, don't they?

I need something to go under a motorcycle helmet. The high isolation stipulation was to avoid tinnitus from road noise. I listen to music about half the time, and listen to navigation prompts almost all the time.

>lossy
>preserve bitrate

I thought one of the benefits of lossless was that they don't degrade over time?
I'm trying to avoid that.

What are the best open headphones under 200 usd?

hd700 or beyer Amiron or any suggestion
for pop and rock music

ah, the old rotational velocidensity?
not sure zipping them avoids that

how bad did i fuck up?

expect that 3.5mm dongle part to break off at some point, happened to my 668Bs and with my 681 Evos. Had to replace it with a normal 3.5mm jack on the Evos.

Get new pads and you'll be fine, and equalizer apo with the Peace GUI to tame the highs.

What's the go to pad replacement for these? Also what's the next step after them? I like how open they are

Up to £300, UK
Used with PC mostly or Sony NWZE585
Over Ear, Open, Neutral or slightly bright
Don't want it to crush my temples, anything else is fine

Currently using Bose Soundlink ll but getting bored with them after 2 months. Also have Pioneer SE-CL751-K In-ear (a sub £50 replacement for these also)

Any reason to buy an HD598 over a 558 other than the sick Noctua color scheme?

H D 6 0 0
D

You all don't listen to obscure music you can't always find in flac?

get the 599 instead

Go away, you illiterate moron.

>bayercucknamic

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are the only 2 options, good to know.

so obscure that you can't get it on CD?
sounds like hipster shit

Why?

Dedicated to confirming that illiteracy claim, aren't you?

slightly newer drivers, and theyre not noctua colored

stay mad lul

If you consider metal hipster shit.

Noctua color is a plus though.

Update

Found DT990 Premium 250ohms for £125 on Amazon. Getting these. Now looking for DAC and AMP combo to drive the fuckers.

>budget
100-150 USD
>location
US
>source
PC
>type of headphone
full size
>open or closed
open
>comfort level
very comfy, use for 6+ hours at a time daily
>sound signature
good bass/mids are all i ask
>past headphone
some shitty close-backed audio technicas

Is it ok to use ear pads that are still a little bit wet?

Final Update

I'll be back in a few days to boast about my killer setup and how plebeian other people are for not having a decent setup in 2017.

Are rock zircon good? I've checked the pdf and it says that there are fakes out there, will I get fakes from gearbest?

used HD600 bro

Curious about this myself.
Got some KZ ZS3 and they sound good but I hate the fit and the behind the ear wire.

Frequency Response is very different, much closer to the HD600.

Redpill me on Beyernamic T1P and the Tesla driver??

>not a CK2998
pleb

What?

but how come they sound like shit for 10 years tho

HD600, X2 have boomy bass without having an actual sub bass and midrange is kill.

>hd700
>pop and rock music
Treble boy, pop music will definitely come as harsh and sibilant with those 2. HD700 has treble spike around 6-7k like HD800 but much worse and Amiron looks to have wide spike around 10k. Amiron came out recently so it's price is same as official of 600$, HD700 are older and you can sometimes find them for 400$. If you can, go to the store and listen to HD700 and see if you can handle the treble. Otherwise I would suggest you HD600 or DT880. What were your previous headphones?

Treble spike of doom.

tfw Ultrasone pro 900 makes all other closed headphones absolute.

not headphones but Sup Forums is autistic, Best iPod model? My phones DAC is ass, and my iPod Touch 4th gen's battery is shot and I like iTunes.

*obsolete?

G5+? Or original Moto G? I have the G5+ and it sounds like ass no matter what I use.

Fiio X1

>0.04953BTC
no thanks fampai

iPod Classic.

There's seven of those

I am looking for some out and about headphones to use on public transport, so they need to be light and not make me look like more of a moron than i already look like.

>Budget
I can go up to around 500-ish-$
>Location
Europe
>Source
It is probably going to be a portable dac/amp, i don't know which yet.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized i guess.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
It needs to be pretty comfy, but i am willing to cut corners if it means better sound.
>Sound signature
Neutral, detailed, big soundstage.
>Past headphones
HD558: Light and sounded pretty open and neutral.
AKG K7XX: Great soundstage, somewhat uncomfortable and too bassy.
MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs: Great sound signature, big and heavy.

What are your favorite audiophile buzzwords?

Musicality, hands down.

PRaT and speed always crack me up.

JH 16 the basshead endgame?

I should keep buying my $35 shitcans while i grind the money for them, probably.

>closed soundstage
>$500
Grados, perhaps. There's few closed options that exaggerate the soundstage; grados are known for that.
>to use on public transport
Forget it. Just get some earbuds or iems, or on-ears like the portapros or px-100 (sadly not durable). Can't really rest your head on the seat with full sized. Even if you could, they'd just eventually break.

So analytical. Yet melodical, at the same time.

The HD598 are pure magic.

snapheiser monkeys btfo

Grados are the official Sup Forums headphones now

HD598,um pro50.
Ive listened hd800 and dt1770.1990 .
hd800 has super wide soundstage. but1000 bucks
dt1770 1990 both clamp my head so bad. but the music detail is good tho.
looking for really comfortable headphone .
can just laid back enjoy music.

Clarity

color

My ATH-M50x earpads are wearing out and I get black stuff on my ears and necks, should I change them? Any recommended websites to get earpads from?

warm and cold

So none of those that you tested came as bright to you? Memeron has looser clamp from DT1990, it's for professional use while Amiron is more for consumer use, so you might give it a chance if you didn't find DT1990 to be bright. You might really like HD700 tho if you like treble and WON'T GET FATIGUE from it.

Remember, what sounds crispy and nice in the shop can backfire easily at home over long listening sessions. How long you spend time with headphones? You have HD598, I had them too great headphone. I suggest you strongly try HD600. It's a clear upgrade from HD598, at least it was for me, in terms of sound. Everything is better, just better, bass, incredible vocals, better treble and pin point imaging, altho narrow soundstage. And you can listen to them hours and hours without getting fatigue.

Some things sound faster tho, at least perceived. DT880 sounded 'faster' to me than HD600, I don't know why but it was very apparent on rock and I tried them before getting anywhere into audio world, previous headphones were HD598.

How much of a difference is there between Etymotic MK5 and HF5?

Hi guys I've been slowly building up my battle station and headphones are up next. I bought a focusrite 2i2 dac/amp, this is the specs for the headphone out

Dynamic Range 107 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N +10dBu

Impedance 10 Ω

I'm after some all rounder type headphones for gaming, music, plus I use a video chatroom a lot so it would be nice if they can produce clear vocals.

budget of around £100-£130 (say $110-150)

Also I really don't know much about these sort of things, so should I be running headphones directly from my speakers (m-audio AV42's) or through my dac/amp? (I heard I prob gon fugged up buying this model)

I got some replacement velour pads from Amazon. I would check there.

Sennheiser HD599 > AKG k702 > HD598 > HD558.

Through DAC/AMP.

are ATH-M50Xs worth it? I generally want to spend around 100$ on a pair of closed back headphones for studying/working at the library but I'd be willing to spend a little more if they're well worth it.

>Budget: $200 [hard limit]
>Location: United States
>Source: 3.5 mm stereo [iPhone 6s, laptop]
>Type of headphone: IEMs
>Comfort level: fit snug, with no chance of falling out
>Past headphones: Apple EarPods, Beats by Dre [liked the fact that they had proper bass without drowning out the treble, didn't like how quickly they started sucking]

Thanks man, probably going to order the AKG k702's question I have though is the amp has 10 Ω Impedance but the k702s are 62Ω Would I need an extra amp to drive them? (like I said I know nothing about this subject)

Sony h.ear on worth using for video games?
its like 100 bucks down from 199

>Closed
>HD 600
Autist.

first time posting @ Sup Forums
just bought the sennheiser momentum 2 for around 250. I wanted buy something portable, for the gym. was this a good choice? what are the best/recommended 200-300 usd range cans nowadays?

no, when you want monitoring capabilities for nearfield listening, this is pretty much your best bet.

if you want something more musical and have abit more space, get Dali Zensor 1 maybe

>amp 10 Ω Impedance
>k702s are 62Ω
Generally the lower the amp impedance the better.
Ideally, you'd want 1:10 between amp and headphones. in this case it's 5:31, which isn't as good, but should be OK.
Here's an intro to all this shit: nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/09/more-power.html

Why exactly do ''normal'' speakers not do well for nearfield? Also, there's gotta be something in the price range. Something like Yamaha NS-10 or something.

because near field speaker are optimised for low distortion, very neutral sound, and narrow soundstage. also the bassports are mostly on the front so the bass isn't emphasized by reflection of your wall behind it

a normal speaker with typical rear port uses the space it has to create a wider soundstage while also building up more dynamics

both sound better when you grant them some space to breath, no walls near 1m.

speakers indoors usually rely on one principle which is called room modes [collection of resonances] which gets defined by your surrounding walls.

forgot to add.

defined by your surrounding walls and how much they reflect sound, if they are made out of wood or concrete.

and then the layout of your speakers do the magic

Daily reminder to ignore the mentally insane poorfag TrustyFucks Phillips shitphones troll who hates things he cannot have: HD600.

Why are Beyerdynamics headphoens so bad that they hiss as soon as there's any high-frequency sound?

They can literally give you tinnitus from all that hissing.

cuz they are designed for deaf grandpas