What's the best first programming language?

What's the best first programming language?

Other urls found in this thread:

cglab.ca/~michiel/TheoryOfComputation/TheoryOfComputation.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Turing machine description.

C.

HTML

Asm x86

The one that let's you build your project. Otherwise you'll quit after a few weeks

Java is amazing.

Not for the user.

BASIC

this.
its the ultimate brainlet filter
if everyone learned to program in assembly first we wouldn't have 1gb+ memory usage on web pages

Turbo PASCAL

Python

nice wording.

This.

Then slowly work your way up from electronics to boolean logic, then assembly, OS programming, compiler programming, and finally C.

But I want to do programming as a hobby.

Pick another hobby.

how so?

C

No, fuck you.

>if everyone learned to program in assembly first we wouldn't have 1gb+ memory usage on web pages
this is easily the most stupid thing I've read all month

You are not ought to pass all these steps but given that you have no specific task now you'd better start with Turing machine to get right clue about what you are doing, you can then use whatever you want.

Python
Java
C

Most importantly:

It doesn't matter what language you learn, the real problem is learning the programming logic, once you know how to solve problems through programming, then learning additional languages is a piece of cake

Think of driving a car, it doesn't really matter which car you drive at first, but once you learn how to drive, getting used to different cars is easy

I learned Python as a first language. It was horrible, I was really bad and had very low self-esteem. For 2 years I haven't touched programming apart from powershell scripting as part of my Sysadmin job.

Later I understood that my tutors were shit, not me. After coding a GUI application in powershell and C# for automating my work I have found my true calling.

I signed up for last year for a Java/J2EE programming course of 10 months.

It changed my life completely. I fell in love with programming and now I'm learning node.js, android and frontend web development.

Python is still not of my favorites. but it's ok if yoiu know a normal language first

beginners need a language that has as little magic and as few different ways to do the same things possible. python doesn't fit that criterion. c and java do

Bump

/thread

At this point I don't think you should start with BASIC. Probably start with Java or C

Not OP but how do you "start with Turing machine" any link or info so I can search it by myself?

bump for haskell

Read this book cglab.ca/~michiel/TheoryOfComputation/TheoryOfComputation.pdf

L I S P
or this But please dont start immediately with a low level lamguage

C. Pretty decent at filtering out all the brainlets. If you can't understand pointers and recursion you should stop. ASM would be the second step then C++. Afterwards whatever you want.

this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

python is great for mathematical shit though

Java is easy but evryone hates it :/

Go.

t. polyglot

A good language for simple MySql Scripting?

unironically C, I began with it at 15 and since then it's been super easy to pick up every other language and taught me alot about how programs work

Rust

C

Anyone who says anything else is autistic or just started programming. Prove me wrong.

JS or python
Next in line please

>anyone else is autistic
>literally names a language that has been surpassed by dozens of languages that do its job way better
C is good for people who want a second language to see if they can still program without the things we take for granted. not a first time language. thats like teaching a kid how to drive in a 17 gear truck or teaching someone to shoot by field stripping a G11 ffs

Go

it doesn't have much complex unnecessary crap that confuses newbies

Go is easy and will be a major language in the incoming years. Python is also easy and will be there for a long time to come

Java. It's the most powerful programming language in the world. The only people who hate it are NEETs.

Turbo Pascal

program HelloWorld;

begin
writeln('Hello World');
end.

Go, or if you don't need the training wheels, C++.

Learning C before C++ is the biggest meme ever. Don't do it.

C will make every other language a joke

>t. pajeet

Don't choose Java as a first language, it's more user friendly than C but you won't learn as much.

Learn C. Learn about pointers, memory management, etc. so you know what Java is doing for you. Then move onto Java if you really want to.

If you want to try learning a functional programming language as well, go with Scheme. The language itself probably won't benefit you much anymore, but it will teach you new ways of thinking.

>Learning C before C++ is the biggest meme ever. Don't do it.
Why? I used C++ before C, but found reading K&R kind of helpful in explaining some peculiarities that C++ has.

MIT scheme as per SICP.