Post your first computer/OS and your experience with it

Post your first computer/OS and your experience with it.

underage confirmed

ProDOS on an Apple IIc.

I use to print out clip art on my parents dot matrix printer. I'd watch it print each line as the daisy roller advanced the page and thought it was incredible. Space Quarks was also really fun.

Windows Vista was my first OS. Okay. I learned using a PC (: 7 is better.

windows 2000 (family had no money to buy a pc earlier)
i hated that it would check the goddamn hdd every time i've booted it up
otherwise not a bad os

I'm 20, bitch.

Windows 98 was my first OS. Strange to think I've aged with it. It's like Windows was the guy that seemed alright and grew up to become a chad, and Linux is the guy nobody spoke to but he's actually got a lot of interesting shit to say.

If you don't remember 911, you are underage.

Ancientfags with Apple //c's unite.

Windows 98SE
It was good for what little I used it for.

Windows98.
I loved it.
Win98 > WinXp > Win7 > Win10 > Win8 > WinVista > Win2000

Windows 3.1. I don't remember too much about it to be honest, I remember using it though. Windows 98 from there, then XP, 7, and Linux since then. Christ I just realised I haven't run Windows for nearly a decade now. It's scary how time flies.

Windows 98
Probably loved it because it was all new and magically
After that > Windows XP > Windows Vista > Windows 7 > Ultimate Linux Distro Hopping > Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 > Ultimate Linux Distro Hopping > Windows 10

DOS
XP is definitively better than BSOD98 freeze edition

timex sinclair zx81
2k ram 2k rom
basic and z80 assembler

A 286 with some version of DOS, quickly traded in for a 386, still with DOS.

MS-DOS

It was comfy, fast and didn't have any bloatware.

>98 above anything
>2k below vista

I give you the credit that you are trolling/baiting and not this fucking delusional/retarded

I remember 911. That emergency number, right? ;^)

Muricans seem to love it

Vista is complete crap, 2k is even worse.

Kids get out

Win2000
This. Windows 98 is the only os I know that managed to break itself without me doing anything. Win95 and win98 look like they have some kind of autodestruct feature

>20
>Kid

Dumbasses get out

heh, i remember saying the same thing when i was 20, every adult in earshot laughed

In school we used pic related at home I used some form of dos with norton commander to find games like reader rabbit and shit

eventually we got windows 95 at home at some point win 98 through win xp until I stopped using windows around that point

started using linux full time to force myself to learn it and I did now I do that kinda stuff for a living

Atari ST GEM
DOS
Win 3.1
All other Win OSs except Win 8/8.1 to Win 10
Linux since 2003
Now a mix of Win 7, Win 10 and Linux as my main OSs.

Win 98 was cool
XP Professionnal was cool
Vista Home Premium wasn't that cool
7 Home Premium was cool
8.1 is cool
Never tried 10 but it seems it's pretty uncool.

>Murrifats think the world revloves around America

that's simply not true
murricans think america is the world, and also that america = USA

My first os was slackware.

Apple ] [+ / dos 3.3 it was comfy

10 requires too much fuckery to be worth it DESU. Installing Ubuntu and calling it a day is probably easier, unless you absolutely need Windows shit. I have an entire folder full of programs, registry patches, batch files, etc. to beat Windows 10 into shape. It's not pretty.

VIC-20/Commodore BASIC

Mikrosha

A russian personal computer with a cpu based on intel 8080.
The television was used as the monitor and a standard audio cassette player was used for data.

It was ubuntu 7.04
I was too dumb to install windows xp, because of hdd drivers

Inb4 >underaged detected
I was in my teen years back then

mine was Slackware 11.0 on my dads old machine.

DOS. I was 1 year old, so I was more concerned with pic. related than any operating systems desu.

Aesthetic / 10

What is the correct age to avoid both "fuck off underage" and "kys gramps" comments?

About 25 plusminus threefiddy.

Win 95
Played Jazz Jackrabbit mostly, was okay I guess

>7167 bytes free
>now you need that times a million to use a fucking webbrowser

win3.1

2k was nice it was almost windows 98se but with nt kernel.

I run for many years windows 98se with win95 explorer that was realy fast. But now linux only linux

WinMe. Winamp.

>Sinclair Basic
>wanted to play a game
>had to type in a game

Was a pain.

No tapedrive?

Simply the best no OS has ever come near.

Tiki 100, running CP/M

Sadly no.
Was a school computer.

It was a shit.

I was 16. Kolf was fun and i could get to work the printer with yast with a simple trick. It was nice.

When I was 8 years old I started playing around with a 386 with MS-DOS that gathered dust in the school "computer room"

Learned BASIC on it, and played prince of persia like a madman.

I worked my ass of at the state tomato farm during the summer of 2000 so I could get enough money to buy myself a computer. The government didn't pay, but later that year there was a revolution and they gave us the money previeous gov. owed us. As a new year present I bought myself a Athlon K2-6 with 500Mhz clock speed, with Windows98 (not SE) installed on it.

I programmed with a pirated copy of VisualBasic and played Fallout all they long. I wanted to make my own game in VB, but was clueless back then.

DOS, anyone remember Norton Commander? Cool stuff. One more reason to have a FreeDOS vm around, and obviously DOSBox.

Me again. Just posted that Tiki 100 for commie geek points, it was actually in my school. I didn't have a computer that I owned by myself until 2009 :^)

13-27 basically have no differences If you've never gone to the military. Underage confirmed

there's a norton commander clone for just about everything these days
i use ghost commander (android) and midnight commander (gnu)
it has basically become its own standard for file management

DOS, played doom and duke nukem

If someone modify midnight commander to display pictures on the framebuffer like ranger it would be an instant hit. Why hasn't anybody come up with a patch that uses imagemagick yet?

mac system 7, pic related accurately sums up my experience with it

and I forgot the pic

System 7 in Elementary School was the first computer I used
Windows 98 was the first household computer we had

Was out of the Mac game until I got my refurbished Air this year I kinda like it.

Obviously I have a fondness for Windows 98 being my first household computer but its not like you can use 98 for anything nowadays.

Born '92 and my first was MS-DOS, though it probably couldn't run Doom. It might've had this thing called DesqView as I remember it looking a bit like this.

Later I got a Win95 pc for gaming given to me by my older brother who moved out. My family also had some HP computer with WinXP, and surprisingly it was much slower than the older Win95 machine. I remember my sister punching it a lot and demanding me to let her use my pc.

I think it was Windows 95, but I was like 3 or 4 years old.

The first OS I technically used was Color BASIC on a Tandy TRS-80, but I only played games on it. The first operating systems I actually USED were System 7 at school and Windows 95 at home.

Vista was my first when it came out. I got my first computer then. I used a typewriter all through-out school for my documents. MLA format was a bitch to do on that beast.

386 with Windows 3.1 but I spent more time in DOS since most games ran in DOS.

98FE

I remember playing some old RTS

At school we used some variant of the Macintosh LC, but at home my first "shared" computer was a Windows 3.1 machine. First "personal" computer was some HP shitbox running XP in 2001

Win95. Well, first personal at least.

First OS ever was... fuck.
Some old Windows / Apple at school.
What OS had the square inside another square and was all grey and boxxy looking? Only had 2 buttons at the top-right.

Actually technically the commodore would be first personal since it was ours, but it wasn't MINES.
But I was also like, fucking 5-6 years old and barely knew how to work it.

Windows 98 and later on Windows 2000 I think.

I remember playing stuff like Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic and networked Age of Empires 1 and 2 with friends and my dad. Shit was dope.

Later on when I started using the internet I remember newgrounds being one of the first websites I ever went to on my own.

I'm getting old-ish and remember some warhammer and digital art forums being the first communities I were a part of before someone introduced me to Sup Forums. I must've been in 6th grade I think? So it was probably like 10-12 years ago I first ended up on here.

Other than that some of my oldest computing memories are of CS 1.4, KaZaa, DC++ (how I got into anime) and downloading Mozilla (instead of Firefox I guess?) to have as my second browser for lewd stuff.

This takes me back.

Win 3.1, played videogames and shit (I remember some game called "Velocity" and The Fifth Element).

grandpa brought it from work, had DOS and 3.1. DOS was filled to the brim with games like Duke, Commander Keen, Another World etc. one of the only positives I remember from my childhood.

That's cool. I sometimes wish I got started with something unix based instead of windows. I'd like to imagine that it would have gotten me down a more fruitful path for learning programming and tech than just troubleshooting windows network stuff during LAN parties did.

my dad had an old 3.1 pc. when he got 95 on his own he gave me his old one

i remember playing games from the floppy disks. Comfy time desu

>have pic related OS as 4 year old
>first PC, shared with my parents
>parents installed badass games like Moorhuhn (some kinda german 3D birdshooter) and some basic games like Mahjong.
>got bored with those soon
>went to the internet more often
>"damn, there's so many different sites"
>begin installing games like Doom or others
>installing a lotta shit that makes fun
>one day, dad gets lotta errors on startup and also on shutdown
>sends PC into tech repair
>never get that PC back
>lost all of my scores, paints and office html experiments

Fuck 2000/ME though, this OS sucked hard.

98, played Warcraft, Heavy Gear and random free/shareware games and True Love '95. Discovered emulators, mp3/Napster, hentai. Used free shitty dial up ISPs like NetZero and Bluelight. For some reason, I really like the 98's search function and hated XP's when I got to it.

2000 and ME aren't the same OS

First OS I used was Win 95. But my first computer I owned I started with Windows 2000 Professional, then XP > Ubuntu 6 > XP > 7

2000 was great. ME is probably the largest Microsoft abortion there is if you can look past the lack of regard for privacy in 10.

Win 2000,and boy it was great.One day,if i ever get my hands on really old pc from 2K's,i will run win2000 on it,absolutely. And i was really sad when my dad decided to update to xp tho

MS-DOS 5.0 + Windows 3.1. I think the machine was a 486 DX-2. Good days were had.

If you meant the first computer I used, it's a Compaq Presario 6420NX running Windows XP.
>1.8GHz AMD Athlon XP 2200+
>256MB DDR-266
>32MB Via ProSavage DDR
>80GB Maxtor 3.5" IDE HDD
>CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive

However, if you meant the first I ever owned, it's some beige case Compaq Presario running Windows 98. Don't know what specs it had.

DOS 5.X here too. I remember typing in all the commands to make the games play. When Windows 3.1 came out I was happy because I could just double click on omf.exe.

Windows 98. Daycare I went to had a little computer room and had flight simulator and shit installed on them, was pretty comfy. The first computer I personally owned had XP on it though.

First computer I had at home was a Tandy TL 1000. Played with GW-BASIC a fuckton, until I was dumb and tried to put a simple thing I wrote in basic into the config.sys and soft-bricked the thing.

Windows 2000, comfy

win95 on a machine that lasted almost 8 years