/Dumb/ DumbPhone MasterRace

Lads, who here Dumbphone Masterrace?
I've recently upgraded to pic related to get on that 3G band. (AT&T is the only one that offers NTSB, T-Mobile the only 2G)

I just dream of a Nokia brick that calls, texts and uses 3G band. This is a step in the right direction.

Feels good, man

inb4
>hipster posting
>Someone posts the Punkt meme
>muh minimalism

Let me clarify, lads.

If you look at a dumbphone that has 2G/GSM service, you're going to fall for the meme. Even the >Punkt phone and >Light Phone fall for this meme. It's an outdated and weak system that can't hold a signal anywhere. Even in full T-Mobile coverage (NYC), I was dropping calls every few feet, I can't imagine places that are already more rural.

What are the best dumbphones for those classic games like Doom RPG and Elder scrolls travels?

Sony Ericsson masterrace reporting in

I'm still daily using this thing
>It can multitask, play MP3 while using Opera Mini and Google Maps (*more than 3 multitasked apps will crash the phone)
>Only one tab, but UMTS 1.0 (384 KBit) 3G network
>Can't into Javascript
>Still usable camera
>Tough as fuck, doesn't need to be IP proof to survive rain and water
>1-2 weeks battery uptime

I got a Sony Vivaz Pro yesterday, but its locked so I'll possibly throw it away. 8 GB memory cards work on the K800 but it takes 12h to write these cards completely and four seconds to open a single audio file on the phone.

>to get on that 3G band
You know 3G is about to be phased out right?

2G isn't getting phased in the US until 2020, 3G has a similar course. 4G/LTE has been standardized, but that doesn't mean that the other bands aren't still supported, user.

Solid phone, user. I barely use my feature phone to it's full potential, I honestly just upgraded for the 3G accessibility. Any recs on simpler options that are in the 3G UMTS wheelhouse?

Why do you want 3G at all? Here in Germany you get 2G almost everywhere.

>2G isn't getting phased in the US until 2020
AT&T finished phasing out 2G in 2016. 3G is expected to be phased out in the next few years, 2020 at the absolute latest.

I'm in US, and as stated in , I got rekt by falling for the US 2G meme. Even though the coverage was substantial, it was filled with gaps and altogether a horrible experience. Every few feet dropping calls for >muh buildings. In NYC, service being effected by a tall building, layer underground is impossible

>dumb phone
>pay as you go
>no account registered with service provider
I only use it occasionally for work and keeping in contact with my few friends. I don't need duh internets on my phone.

Guyz, where is my perfect Sup Forumsentooman thin foil hat freak dumbphone?
Must have features
>hard switch for mic and camera
>not so shitty camera, only rear needed, for taking photos of notes and stuff (2012 smartphone tier)
>FOSS os, or at least a good API for writing custom software.
>3g network, a wifi antenna for using it as an hotspot.
>Basic html and ftp browser, an ssh shell would be awesome

Is there a smart or dumb phone that has these? A querty keyboard would be apprectiated too.

Sounds like an older model blackberry to me, but user could provide better recs.

I use an axon 7

how can I be sure that blackberry's are not nsa honeypot too?

there wont be a full libre phone with no binary blobs because of the modem part. radio signal regulating entities (FCC) would never let that fly. because that mean full access to radio stack and antenna, thus transmitting in any frequency. that could create a havoc, or more realistically bunch of little trolls messing with peoples reception.

Isn't it possible to do this anyway?

european guy here

two questions:

1) the fuck means 2G and 3G "bands" for you amerifats, cause both protocols emit signal over various frequencies. and some are shit for interior wall signal, like the high ghz ones.

2) the fuck means phased out . some of 2G bands have been switched for 4G technology (800 mhz band for example) but both protocols still exist.

i'm assuming you guys don't have EGSM on 900 mhz and your signal drops on 1900 mhz GSM

not with any mobile phone currently in use, including dinosaurs like GTA04. really, it has perfect modem isolation, as in modem does not own any privileges in rest of the system, but its still a closed source binary blob. they kind of proved their point.

Then what, all dumbphones become dumbdoorstops?

Yep

>tfw you realize that "eyes" are just biocameras

I'm ok with that, as long as I have an hard switch for the mic and I'm sure that when it's off it won't keep tracking me

Then you'll need to open the phone and make yourself, because manufacturers providing one would be against their obligations to agencies and such.

>not even older thinkpads had mic or camera killswitches
>he wants them on a modern phone

>tfw you realize that "ears" are just biomicrophones capable of hearing tiniest whisper over 15 feet connected to proprietary obfuscated hardware running literal unauditable blob of spaghetti linked binaries

Yeah we're 1900 in the US, pleb signal for pleb coverage I suppose.

Got one of these for my grandpa (he wanted something chunky w/ 3G. 2G usually works just fine around here and there are no plans to drop support, but his home just happens to be in an odd place where 3G works ok, yet both 2G and 4G are pretty unreliable)

It seems cool otherwise but the interface wasn't quite as nice as on some Nokias. Might get one for myself one day anyway, I did like how far they've went with the ruggedness.

By using an SGS3 w/ Replicant (FOSS Android compatible) OS?

Nokia Asha anyone?

Though there are Asha phones with Wifi, the phone I had was pic related and didn't have wifi and life was tough back then. Oh wait, I still have the phone in my old backpack.

is it really pronounced wifey?
here in italy the only ones that call it wifey are tech and english illiterate

>touch screen
>shitty battery

U joking, right?

imho it's like a gif vs jif debate, no one knows the truth.

Graphics Interchange Format

at least we know that, right?

>FOSS, except modem part
>joking
t. cia

Why

>implying I would trust FOSS software to be 100% secure.
>implying I want a shitty smartphone with 5h of battery and no phisical keyboard while posting on /Dumb/

sent from my SGS4 with Ressurrection Remix and no gapps

Because not all of us are semen slurping iPlebs

>inb4 bad engrish
I have an Asha 303, and it's pretty good. Touchscreen and physical keyboard. Great battery life and some basic apps are fine for me.

The last monday I start using a Sony Xperia M which had a broken display and I fixed it. The only thing bad on it it's the battery life.

>posting smartphones in /dumb/
fucking normies

actually I use SGS4 with Resurrection Remix as wel without google apps. My S4's battery is like 3 hours, so nothing better. I'm also planning on buying either an old Nokia (3310 or 8110), or some rugged smartphone.

i mean, the pronunciation

Weirdly the web browser is actually able to load pages. It takes a million years to scroll through them all but I can actively browse the internet on it.

can you shitpost on Sup Forums?
Graphic has an hard g, so it's GIF

Samsung Gusto U360 user. My only phone. I don't give a shit about apps or other shit. Long as I can place/receive calls or send/receive txt messages I'm good. Had phone since 2012, still works great. Verizon pre-paid service plan, cheap really. Phone was like under $25 and the plan is like $33 a month. I don't use it much for calls, just txting so my balance just carries over each month.

I wish, the captcha always ends up being the thing that stops me.

>he fell for the marketing meme
literally hipster tier

Whats a good dumbphone for straighttalk.
I just need call/text/mms that will operate on their 30$ plan.
Preferably something flip or bar thats not fugly.

Nokia anything, m8

How do I buy Nokia 3310 online? Ebay? Anywhere else?

see

a phone from republic wireless.. its like 15 month unlimited talk and text, cheapest phone they got is like $100. i pay for two phones $24 a month

Well it was essentially a dumbphone with a touchscreen the size of your smol dick.

>>inb4 bad engrish
Oh, it's because I am an Indian. At least you understood what I said.

I got a blu tank II but I kinda want something with a qwerty keyboard as most of my communication is texting, i was eyeing the samsung gravity t379, but the blu phone has almost double the battery capacity so im a little torn there