/goodenough/

Who else has old but good enough hardware?

My AMD FX-6300 is still good enough.
Rocking a single 1920x1200 monitor.
Not buying stuff you don't need is far more rewarding than spending money. I made ~10000 USD this month.

Break free of your lust for consumption and accomplish something with what you have.

i5-2500k
GTX 560ti

had this computer for 7 years and it still holds up pretty well, had to replace some fans but that's all

>My AMD FX-6300 is still good enough.
Same here, I have even used newer i7 chips periodically but never kept those machine, for the last 5 years the FX has done everything I've needed.

>Not buying stuff you don't need is far more rewarding than spending money. I made ~10000 USD this month.
So true.

>Break free of your lust for consumption and accomplish something with what you have.
I like wasting it on old hardware though. It's fun stuff.

agreed currently using currently using an old, slightly battered iphone 5s as my daily driver instead of buying some new phone for a bunch of money.

>I made ~10000 USD this month
No, you didn't. This this were true you wouldn't care about the cost of a new computer since it's so small compared to your income.

:-)

Why would I buy a new computer when the old one is good enough?

Oh, I see... you earned 10000 imaginary dollars. If you had earned 10000 real dollars you could have bought a new computer because you could settle for the best instead of good enough.

>new computer
Why though?

My trusty Pentium D 805 was my main machine until about two months ago. Running for 100k+ hours. Then the PSU died and I switched to a slighly better Intel E5200.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Posting from my home computer: E8400 running Windows XP + Firefox.

Boots faster and feels smoother than my Xeon at work (presumably due to not running Windows 7 plus a fuckton of antivirus and corporate patch management software).

True poorfags are still on Core 2 Quads or worse.

How are you not getting viruses out the ass with xp?

Firewall.
Firefox + noscript + ublock.
Not installing untrusted (pirated) software.

Common sense? Y'know.. Back in _my_ day when all the /g types ran either slackware or Windows 2000, antivirus was considered to be unnecessary for people who knew what they were doing. Maybe it still is :-]

I upgraded from a fx 6300 to a r7 1700
I was getting too much stuttering in some of my games.

I do however feel like i may have adopted too early since i now hear they are working on zen2 and zen3 and i believe zen2 will be out with amds new vega gpus, but im not totally sure about that.

My T60p is good enough for shitposting

My E5450 which is about the same as a Q9600 still runs any game easily, only GPU limited

As long you have 12MB of L2 cache it runs fine including RE7

Rocking an FX-6300, HD 7870, and have a 1440x900 monitor alongside a 1280x1024 monitor. They serve my purposes, I've no need to upgrade anything.

Q9550, 8GB, 1TB, GTX 570, Win 7 and one 1600x900 monitor. It just works.

Running Windows 10 on a Core2 @2.2GHz w/3GB laptop for my media PC.

I have an old XPS4000 I upgraded to a quad core @3GHz +*GB and dropped my 980GTX into.
Plays BF4, 3 screens at 5760x1080 with high settings with no problem.
Works all 4 cores to 70+% though so probably near end of life but not bad for an 8 or 9 year old system.

CPU: Xeon E5450 @ 3.0GHZ (stock cooling) 12Mb cache L2
MoBo: Asus P5K VM
RAM: 8Gb Pc2-6400/800MHZ
GPU: Sapphire R7 260X O/C Edition (+7.8% from sotck)
2 PSU: 300W + 250W (For 3 SATA HDDs)

Only GPU limited over 768P and can run anything such as: Resident Evil 7, Project Cars, MGS 5, Far Cry 4, GTA V
Always between 45-60 FPS over 1360x768P

phenom x4 965 BE here with an hd6800 and shitty 8gb of ram. still does the job, won't change anything until it breaks

T420
Model M
LG G3

I have no intention to upgrade anything

That Panasonic KX-P2123 is the tits, I remember saving up to buy one. I miss dot matrix

Amiga 500, with 1MB chip ram and kick34.5.

>Break free of your lust for consumption and accomplish something with what you have.
underrated statement

THIS
VERY COMFY

Only retards get viruses out the ass.
Equally, you can lock down XP harder than you can lock down even Win7 and Win10.
Win Vista branch onwards is unsecure AS FUCK.
They've learned nothing, it seems. UAC is the most laughable thing ever. It was broken before Vista even officially came out. It still gets broken.

WinXP was only broken because of stupid numbers of services being open by default and Microsofts sloppy coding.
XP SP3 fixed most of that.
Installing Sandboxie and sandboxing ALL THE THINGS fixes most of everything else.
The only other attacks left are literally hardware attacks that affect every OS (IntelME), or really fucking obscure attacks that would only happen to you if you happened to piss off a wealthy government.

With the file system filters in the PoSReady branch of XP, it is considerably better.
Of course, drivers are still a huge issue.
Just use Linux. Modern Linux has driver support about equal to XP these days. (ironically not even Win10 has that since it breaks fucking drivers every few updates)