Easily serviceable

>easily serviceable
>upgradable CPU
>upgradable GPU
>upgradable screen in some models
>good price
>various "form factors"
>decent built quality

why aren't they more common? The only problem seem to be the keyboard and that they are somewhat ugly. Is there some catch I'm missing?

I had to refresh the page and forgot to retype the subject, I'm talking about Clevo laptops.

I have a clevo barebone and the quality of the carcass is made of terrible plastic. 5 years owning one and it's breaking itself apart.

Not to mention that the first time I opened it, something fell off.

which model? I heard that the build quality is generally at least acceptable.

People who buy laptops with the intent of upgrading are only interested in upgrading the RAM and storage at most. Otherwise it gets too expensive/bulky/heavy. Most people will never open their laptop at all, ever.

I've seen upgradeable GPU's on old laptops but have yet to see an upgrade available by the time anyone needs it.

They're made of the worst Packard-Bell tier plastic I've seen. If they only made them with God tier magnesium alloy.

Because that doesn't encourage consumers to re-buy a whole laptop when needing an upgrade.

I've had a p370em since Dec 2012. I use my 55" 4k as my second display. Mine has held up well, but it rarely leaves my house. I added a SDD, a 2TB hd, and removed the optical drive and added a second 2TB. Just upgraded the video card from a 7970m to a gtx 980m. I'll prob use it until it dies.

Holy shit Clevos have dropin MXM upgrades?

That's fucking nuts, does any other laptop have something like this?

I still have to see a source of MXM modules for those "upgrades".

Probably some "gaming" laptop from alienware, msi, etc..

ebay

I enjoy having 10 hour battery life instead of 2 minutes.
Thanks, but no thanks.

The look like crap and tend to have durability issues

Same here. Laptop runs like a champion but the plastic is garbage.

Hinge broke after a year and I had to get it RMA'd. I'd maybe buy another but I'd seriously hold them to using a better chassis

they also sell laptops without dedicated gpu

>Clevo

Will the chinks replace it if something breaks or can you just wipe your ass with the warranty?

You literally just described an (old-school) thinkpad with shittier build quality.

yeah, the problem is that they no longer make new decent thinkpads.

But the old ones are still going strong. Plus you can still get basically all the parts for them so if something in particular needs replacing it's piss-easy.

But you have to settle with older hardware.
Why did IBM had to sell thinkpad to Lenovo anyway? I find it hard to believe that market wasn't profitable enough for them.