/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex in a few days, wait for it

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling
forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-exploded-now-dead-and-took-other-parts-with-it-m2583259.aspx
in.pcmag.com/gaming/109597/news/evga-gtx-1080-and-1070-cards-exploding-under-stress
reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5dly01/exploding_evga_1080_ftw/
pcpartpicker.com/list/tZXdPs
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
pcpartpicker.com/list/sVHbzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/Nhn9Yr
ebay.de/itm/CRUCIAL-525-GB-MX300-Interne-SSD-2-5-Zoll-/252551954288?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
pcpartpicker.com/list/V7B7Fd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Old:

Is the zero fan modus for gpus worth it or is it a meme?

t. First time assembler

Hello again /pcbg/,
I'm the guy that asked for help picking parts for a very tight budget PC because my girlfriend destroyed my PC beyond repair.

You've helped me out greatly which I'm very grateful for, I checked the stores around here and had decided what I'll end up building once I get my couple days off from work.

However, as always, luck is not on my side.
The 600-800 euro's (about 785 dollar) I could spend are now down to 400-500 euro's only. (+/- 450-600 dollars) because the car I need for work unexpectedly needed a new timing belt (not sure if it's called like that in English)

Could you please help me out once more and suggest parts for a build I can play WoW and browse internet videos with more or less OK?
I don't need the best settings in WoW just something that wont stutter like crazy.

I need everything, OS // All the parts including case // mouse & keyboard and perhaps a headset I can go on TS and Discord with, a screen is not required I found one on Ebay I could pick up for free (it's a 1920x1080), has scratches and dents and bit worn out colors but it's fine.

It would be much much appreciated.

p.s. - for those wondering, I got my girlfriend to go to psych person appointments, which also have to be paid so it's improtant that I stay within this 450-600 dollar budget

Thanks in advance.

What the hell is zero fan modus?
Do you mean 0% fan when idle?

> got my girlfriend to go to psych person appointments

Are you ugly as fuck or why haven't you dumped her yet?

Make a g4560 build with GTX 1050ti and see how much room there is left to improve

Got a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW ACX for $370

How's I do?

I hope it won't explode on you.

Why would it?

extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling
forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-exploded-now-dead-and-took-other-parts-with-it-m2583259.aspx
in.pcmag.com/gaming/109597/news/evga-gtx-1080-and-1070-cards-exploding-under-stress
reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5dly01/exploding_evga_1080_ftw/

pcpartpicker.com/list/tZXdPs
Did I fuck anything up royally if my aim is 1080p@60hz?

if you mean completely passively cooled (see pic related) then you're going to get a shitty card that's barely better than integrated in most cases but might be acceptable for some very light gaming, probably not ideal for enclosed cases (like mini-itx media players) but if you want a silent rig with lots of video output it might be worth it

if you mean proper gpus with fans that have the fans turn off when not in use, like suggests, they're probably not worth it unless you have almost no fans in your system to begin with, third party gpu heatsyncs/fans tend to be very quiet on idle anyway and are going to be more isolated than case fans which tend to be far noisier to begin with

Is it okay to pair GTX 1060 6GB with Ryzen 5 1600? I know it's better to pair it with RX 570/580 but power consumption on those AMD cards is ridiculous + it's seems that 1060 such as MSI Gaming X 6GB runs cooler than Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB.

anyone applying for the asus cashback? what the fuck is a valid invoice if you can't show your order in a screenshot? do they seriously expect you to pay for your stuff in a store and not online

If I want to get an old IBM desktop case what could not work if I fill it with modern hardware?

Mainboards were already ATX, PSUs had the same size as today, drives where 3.5" - what could go wrong?

Well anyone who doesn't have custom fan settings in MSI Afterburner was a retard to begin with.

>but power consumption on those AMD cards is ridiculous
???
220w is ridiculous? You could run that fine on a 400w PSU

I mean fans that are not in use under very light load. The gtx 1050ti costs like 20 euros more with a zero fan modus.

>unexpectedly needed a new timing belt
There is no such thing as unexpectedly needing a timing belt. TIming belts are wear items that need to be replaced as part of regular maintenance once every 60,000 miles or 100,000 miles depending on the car. Read the goddamned owners manual (You know. That book in the glovebox that came with the car that no one ever reads). There should be a chart near the back of the book that tells you what parts you can expect to need replacing at which mileage.

I HATE COIL WHINE

>not noticing none of the mentioned cards work with Afterburner
you're the retard

[Citation Needed]

you can get G.Skill Ripjaws V Series ddr4-3200 for like $110 pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

but if you want to stick to corsair you can get ddr4-3200 for like $10 more

I can't remember if it's the amd cpus or intel that gained a huge deal from faster memory and 200mhz isn't that big of a deal but it might be worth it in the long run

I'd seriously consider getting an 80+ gold psu at a minimum though

is a gtx 970 a good deal or can i get a better card for the same price?

for 100Euros*

Thank you I will look into this.
I would like to try and help her improving herself, if it doesn't work I'll have to cut off things for my own good but for now I'd like to try this and see if it helps. (I hope it does)

All women have psychological issues.

Yeah that's pretty good.

it's more than just fan speed it's the fact there's an air gap between vrm and heatsink where there should be something like a thermal pad, the kit evag sent out included a thermal pad for users to install to fix the issue, thermal pads that should have been installed at the factory

adjusting fan speeds barely mitigates the issue and isn't a solution in the long run

What is she doing?

it's probably not going to make a huge difference in overall noise but if you're aiming for a quiet rig every bit of sound reduction makes a difference

if you have something like 3-4 case fans or a dual fan cpu heatsink to begin with it's almost not going to make a noticeable difference though

I bought a sun ultra workstation case that wasn't atx but did have atx mounting holes, the usual issues tend to be top mounted psus, lack of proper mounting (but if it did have an atx mobo this should be fine), lack of drive space, lack of fan space etc

probably won't be an issue in your situation

what is the best model of the rx580 8gb?

I guess, some more than others though.
She often has these very ''strong moods''.
I can handle them just fine most of the time, sure it isn't nice when she's like that but it's ok I guess, all part of it.
However last week I came home to parts of my computer parts laying everywhere.
She had completely destroyed my computer and everything that was with it, she even threw away the small book I had with the Windows disc and the code and all the passwords I had written down.
Still not sure what that was good for but she blamed me for something so she thought it would justify her destroying the only thing besides my car I have that keeps me distracted.
I work a lot for little money unfortunately so unfortunately I can't just buy a new computer right away, I also have to make payments for her psych appointments so it's pretty difficult on how to build this computer with this little money. (400-500 euro's now that I need everything including the OS, just the monitor I don't have to because I could pick one up for free)
I asked last week in this same kind of thread for some help on a small budget and was helped by very kind and helpful user's.

>if you can't show your order in a screenshot
I don't really know, try e-mailing the webstore you bought it from and ask if they can give you a receipt in a format SNSV will accept.

Well damn you gotta dump her.

Yeah but other times there were issues with drivers, etc. and GPUs cooked.

If this kind of thing happens again, I will.

which country are you in?

can someone recommend me some unique looking cases? atx or matx is fine, but it has to be available (ie no lian li boat cases)

do you have a budget in mind?

asked this yesterday but got no reply.
what are the chances of one of these fan splitters causing a short circuit and resulting in fried components?

Latvia

damn. no specific latvia pcpartpicker site. well, this will have to do then. My attempt at a budget build prices in your country will vary.
pcpartpicker.com/list/sVHbzM

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help very much.
I will look at my nearest store for these parts
Thank you

few hundred i guess. $350 ish

If the chances were very high, they wouldn't exist. as long as you aren't chaining multiples of them together, you should be fine

I want to build my first computer.
Is 700 dollars enough to build a good one that will be able to play most things steam has to offer?

I also wanna use it to practice my technology skills since I am going to make this a career somehow tbqh

that'ts true, but that one looks a bit shitty and cheap compared to all the other ones on amazon which have braided cables and plastic shrouds. this was the only one i could find which wasn't an add-on item and required a £20 minimum order. shall i just cover the whole thing in electric tape to be safe?

>Is 700 dollars enough to build a good one that will be able to play most things steam has to offer?
yes. Here's the build I plan on making for reference. Around the same price actually.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Nhn9Yr

does ryzen have issues with Win 10, I remember hearing about that around launch

No, that one is perfectly safe. The fancy ones are just fancy for looks.

it was to do with scheduler

no but it does have issues with windows 7, though that's mainly microsoft's fault.

I'm building a streaming computer for a friend of mine, and I plan on using an r5 1600x in it. Which GPU would be better for it, a 1060 6GB or an RX 580?

it doesn't actually have any issue in w7, just microsoft blocking updates on it

hey there
I hope that you're still here
I called the store and asked them about the parts, it turns out that they don't have the RAM and that it's going to be more expensive than on the pcpartpicker list, unfortunately quite a bit more expensive.
Could you please let me know if there's anywhere I could make save money without losing too much performance?

do you have any components that can be re-used? a friend of mine had an old case with 3 fans and a couple of 500gb hhd's and managed to build a whole ryzen 1600 + gtx 1070 build for around $700.

get the 1600 instead of the 1600x and you can spend that money which would have been spent on the slight boost in clocks and a cpu cooler on a gtx 1070.

gtx 1070 + r5 1600 is the best price/perf build right now imo.

Mediamarkt in the german caliphate is currently selling the crucial mx300 525gb for 129 euros

ebay.de/itm/CRUCIAL-525-GB-MX300-Interne-SSD-2-5-Zoll-/252551954288?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

There actually isn't much of a way to go cheaper without sacrificing performance.
As to the ram, any 8GB kit of DDR4 ram (preferably 2 sticks of 4GB) will do. Just aim for something with a heat spreader.

Is it still okay to follow logical increments? I've been gone for some years.
Here's the build I have right now: pcpartpicker.com/list/V7B7Fd

I like to program and some of my applications can really take a lot of processing power. I have three monitors, with lots of applications and windows open, and I occasionally stream (though not video games). I'm interested in a GPU, probably a 1070, but my budget will not allow for it right now. I'd prefer to keep the total build cost around $700-$800, but definitely not over $900. I will be adding an additional 8GB of RAM later.

Okay thank you

No.
Logicalexcrements is a shill site that gives bad recommendations so they make money.

Which parts can i afford to save money on?
and i mean the relevant ones (cpu, video card, ram, motherboard...)
I have a budget of 1000-1200 euros and i need something between a workstation and a gaymen pc
Most resource intensive stuff i do is rendering 3D landscapes, i mostly play old games, but enjoy pirating some shit AAA title once in a while for the lulz
I kinda want to stay on i7 like my current laptop and at least 16GB of RAM
Not sure about video cards or motherboards, haven't really touched PC building since 2010
but i am aiming for mATX
i already have a monitor and speakers btw so that's 200-400€ off the cost

hey, what would be a good cheap computer-in-a-box for playing old games? Like half-life mods.

get a cheaper cpu cooler, cheaper mobo, cheaper case and psu. maybe then you can try and squash a 1070 in there.

Alright, thanks, I'll try to look around for alternatives.

The 1070 is absolutely not necessary right now, but I just want ability to accommodate it later.
>get a cheaper X
That's not helpful at all.

Is a $150 PSU worth it?

An i3-7320 or i3-7350k if you mean just an htpc with no dGPU.

For something more capable but still cheap, a 1500X and RX560.

what about those windows sticks? They seem more than capable to play early 2000s games.

The best processor for price to performance ratio at the moment is the AMD Ryzen 5 1600. Pair that with a B359 chipset motherboard and you should be good. The 1600's 6 cores allows it to offer similar performance to i7's, especially when overclocked. All Ryzen chips come unlocked for overclocking, and all B350 and X370 chipset mobos support overclocking. The 1600s 6 cores also mean it's great at resource intensive things.
As to a GPU, an RX470/570 would be perfectly fine

Unless you're doing some crazy niche shit, no.

whats the go with m2 ssds? are sata ssds that much slower? odd that they seem to be since sata supports 6gbps

>i3-7350k
there is no reason for that thing to exist

that guys retarded, anything will play them, get a pentium g4560 build for about $300. a pc stick will give you several issues including expanding and ports

>lots of applications and windows open
>lot of processing power
>occasionally stream
Then get a 8 core R7 1700 instead of 4 cores 7700k
This just shows how logicalincrements is bad, it's not like the more money you put in a build the better it is at all

The biggest difference between M.2 and sata is latency.
It's great for really niche use cases but for loading OS and games the gains over sata are unnoticeable and in a lot of cases barely measureable.

>allows it to offer similar performance to i7's
Better. In 3D rendering, and anything else that uses the cores, the R5 1600 is straight up better

>B359
B350

for what uses? i imagine logs or something

if the A-XMP profile on my MOBO correctly reads the overclock setting do I have to manually increase voltage

thanks
hows the 7 1700 tho? if there's something i'm willing to blow money on it's cpu

K versions have higher stock clocks
no, it's not worth it
what CPU do you intend to get?

i5 7600 vs Ryzen 1600

I'm building a video/photo editing PC. I use Premiere if that helps. It doesn't need to be instant speed fast at rendering but wouldn't take 2 hours. Should I fall for the Ryzen meme?

Could a Noctua L9 cooler manage to "passive Idle" a R5 1600?

IIRC AMD hasn't bribed adobe enough, so they use CUDA & optimise for intel exclusively.

if i don't plan on overclocking, is there any reason for me to pick the 7XX0k over the 7XX0?

>no it's not worth it
so i should go with the the 7XX0 then?
i plan on getting the i7

The R5 1600 is better at everything than any i5
But video editing, do you really have to ask? It dominates it completely
Hell, it even fucks a 7700k

Go Intel, Adobe are massive intel shills and don't work on AMD at all

Anything where you need more memory than reasonable for RAM and it's not quite latency sensitive enough to be unreasonable at M.2 speeds.

Ah fuck, that's a shame. I was getting excited on building an AMD machine.

>so i should go with the the 7XX0 then?
>i plan on getting the i7
Oh, so you meant 7700k.
The 7700k is a special case because the K version is clocked very, very high. But what are you gonna get it for?

The Ryzen 5 1600 is just a Ryzen 7 1700 with 2 cores deactivated and 4 less threads. It's a better CPU for sure, but the performance increase for the price isn't very good value. That said, it is a fantastic CPU capable of blowing away i7's in multi-thread and multi-core tasks.

He didn't talk about GPUs
The R5 1600 beats any i5 at premiere pro and all of the other advantages it has outshine the very slight lead the i5 has in some photoshop effects

a lot of the programming i do requires a lot of processing power, so to speed things up i plan on going with an i7-7700k since i was very happy with my i7 sandybridge. but if i don't overclock it, i was wondering if it might be better for me to just grab the i7-7700 and save $30.

Compiling speed scales with more cores, go ryzen

is 52C a normal temperature for an R5 1600 if I'm fucking around in the BIOS?

If you need single core performance then intel is the way to go, but if you're doing any multithreading AMD has more performance per dollar.
An R5 1600 is on par or faster than a 7700K in anything that can use 12 threads or more.