What UPS does Sup Forums use?

What UPS does Sup Forums use?
You do use a UPS, right? You wouldn't just let your PC or server die without safely powering down in the event of a black out, right?

No I don't use a vps
If my shit does power down it's a rare event because I live in the first world

>I live in the first world
I dunno man, there are occasional power outages related to shit weather, but I just have surge protectors, not UPSs

Even if your stuff does lose power every once in a while, does it warrant spending money to prevent that? Just take a walk or something

why not fedex or usps?

This is Sup Forums

we're exactly the kind of people who would spend money in order to be able to stay on our thinkpads instead of going out and taking a walk.

UPS's aren't about keeping your computer/appliances going through the blackout, it's about keeping them going long enough to allow for a safe shut down. Pulling the plug generally isn't very good for computers.
They're not that expensive either. OP pic is overkill for most people, and even it's fairly affordable. 500VA is enough for most situations and those usually go for around $60.

I have a lot of long-running jobs. When you're running something that takes a month to finish, you want to be sure it will checkpoint if the power goes out so you can resume.

I got an APC one like that but the vertical model for free from my mom. she got it from some free teacher supplies.

I have one of these, that I got for free. It is more peace of mind than anything. It comes in handy when the power goes out briefly during storms and such.

I got cyber power or whatever it's called. Runs 4 servers never had issues

I use a laptop.

They're a nice piece of mind to have when flashing a BIOS or the like. Besides, they also smooth out dips and spikes in your power which can be more harmful than just a blackout.

I have this one. It's great, does exactly what I need and lasts a decent amount of time on battery power, for all I have plugged into it.

I used to always unplug my desktop for more 5 years, still werks.

You unplugged it for 5 years and it works still?

Ladies and gentlemen we have found

U N L I M I T E D
P O W E R

Tesla on suicide watch!

mini rack has a 2200 online ups and I use a laptop for power efficiency as part of a vmware cluster so its battery serves that purpose.
For total long term blackout, have a lithium solar battery with 1000Wh and dual 500W pure sine inverters which can power the laptop and internet for around 15 hours.

Any of you ever have problems with the UPS/battery dying or needing to be replaced? I don't want to have to service the thing every so often when it's not getting used much.

All the time. Stopped using batteries from local battery shops and just use APC batteries now. Find they last 2-3 years on average while the alternatives would bow out and last 1-2 years.

Batteries are in a tray or compartment and can be switched out while live. Simple enough procedure.
Do test and do replace the battery when it tells you. Never lost an APC UPS yet but seen lots of other dead UPS' with dead batteries too. Don't know why, but the battery going and not replaced seems to kill them.

I had one before this and I used a 12volt motorcyle gel battery ghettorigged and it worked for a year before it died.

I've had mine since 2015 and haven't had to do anything so far.

Pic related, 3000VA and network managed

had an APC for years, but battery is on its way out, bought one of these to replace it last week - still need to set it up

tesla was a hack and stupid slav

this one actually fits on my desk

Cyberpower Pr1500lcd

The Pro1500 fits on my desk
I keep it behind the vertical monitor.

I, live everyone else on Sup Forums, host a RAMdisk minecraft server on my dual xeon build so ofc I have a UPS.

A powered on dell r710 next to a sofa... just fuck my ears up man

10ohm resisters soldered to all the fans, idles at~50db according to my phone

fedex charges 50% surcharge for residential deliveries
USPS loses fucking everything and generally costs more if your package is over 2 pounds, unless it fits in a priority mail flat rate box
UPS is best of both worlds (price/performance) especially with my 20% off retail rates contract I got by signing up for a UPS account online

I have two of those. Had to replace the battery on one of them after 10 years.

My first job entailed replacing UPS batteries for servers.
They are basically mini car batteries. Lots of nasty shit in there. Be on the look out for corrosion, the replacements should be cheap enough.

Those ones are enormous, not really the size of the ones for personal use.

Has there ever been a piece of tech that was red that didn't dissapoint?

They're all still lead acid batteries.

Too poor for one with enough capacity

It sure sucks when my servers go down because of a few second blackout but whatever

diesel generator

Thats what I got. But I keep shit off the desk for more deskspace.

The 1500VA ones go on sale for like $120 occasionally.

If you've got a server setup you really should have it on a UPS, would be dumb to have something short because of a stupid thing like having it on an unprotected socket.

50db and 150c

With dual xeon x5650 and 24 threads of mprime I get up to 80c

Idle is 40c

But does it really allow uniterupted power to your house when the utility power goes out? Is there a second of no power?

Assuming you are talking about a whole house generator connected to your breaker box.

Not on my country. Sure, I will buy one if I ever find one for a good price but haven't found one yet, I am poor

I'm lucky that in my country power rarely goes out and power seems to be pretty stable, so no issues with my setup running for several years, but it sucks that I occasionally lose my uptime and everything has to boot over again because power went out for like 1 or 2 seconds, most blackouts dont last longer here.

>the ork meme is real

How long do the batteries last in these things? I want to pull the trigger on one, getting a good deal on one for 100$, but the justification of paying that much to just deal with the sub 2 second power outs is hard.

Was looking into them couple weeks ago. My PSU is a Corsair AX860 with Active PFC so it would require a pure sine wave UPS, not that simulated sine wave stuff. Went and looked through every Tripplite, APC, and Cyberpower UPS. All the rackmount stuff made more for running servers/routers is expensive as fuck. The cheapest APC "home use" UPS were around $450-$550. Tripplite has some good ones for ~$430. Cyberpower has the CP1500PFCLCD for $200. Gonna wait on a sale and go with the cyberpower.
It's this one.

>waaagh dis makes it tree times fashter!

The only bad thing about these "home use" UPS are that the batteries are proprietary and expensive as shit. Once you go more professional with the various rack mount variants the batteries, for the most part, are more universal and less expensive.
For example the batteries for are $80 while the batteries for the APC $560 UPS are $160 ea.
The batteries for the $433 Tripplite rackmount are $154 ea.

The reason I've put off getting one for so long is that these UPS are just a giant money drain. And unless you're actually running a server you need up 24/7 there is no financial viability to paying ~$800 for a more "professional" UPS.

>old laptop
>use it as server
>always plugged in
>battery acts as ups

What about power surges and spikes?

Ain't no laptop battery which will help against that.

But I don't use UPS
I prefer FexEx

I live in an area of the US with lightning strikes almost daily, and brownouts once a week.

It has fried two computers and a laptop.

Until I got a UPS.