Would you recommend this to someone starting out with Linux?

Would you recommend this to someone starting out with Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mO_pOVcq2Vc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends how competent they are with computers, but that's a pretty good starting point.

yes

Here's a better option my friend:

youtube.com/watch?v=mO_pOVcq2Vc

It's pretty good, but I would probably recommend OpenSUSE because of YAST.

Something ubuntu based is a good start
But maybe you should start with linux mint since it feels a little more like windows and it's also ubuntu based

I'd recommend mint
unity has some confusing stuff for new users, like searching in the current window's menu if you accidentally press alt by itself

Yes, it's the best distro and it has many different versions you can choose from.

or kubuntu 17.04

>mint
>mint

NO. Mint is insecure and has been compromised before.

Not bad choice but i'd also consider debian

>ubuntu gnome
>xubuntu
>fedora
>suse

If you are not using one of these distros you are dumb

just be sure to use the installer that comes with nonfree firmware bundled :^)

i think you really dont know what yast is your post with better fit with suse then ubuntu

also "ubuntu based" is not a reason for anything
if you dont have a background in debian based stuff

No.
You want KDE (Looks like Windows Desktop) which only OpenSuse continues to support.
Also comes with YAST (Looks like Windows Control Panel).

???
Literally every distro supports KDE.

>YAST
it's a fucking pain in the ass to use
t. windows user

Some distros become pretty fucking janky when you use KDE

nobody besides OpenSuse ships KDE out of the Box but forces you to either install it on your own (good luck with this if you are fresh of the boat) or you have to rely on a community maintained distro.

did you try the rest? YAST is heaven compared to the rest of the linux abyss.

opensuse's kde support is really good
they patch firefox so it uses a qt file selection dialog instead of the gimped gtk one for example

>Website has been hacked once a few Million Years ago
>Doesnt even affect People who check Checksums

>What is Manjaro ?
>What is Antergos ?
>What is Fedora ?

I started out with something different, big mistake. Switched to Ubuntu 2 weeks later.

Ubuntu is great for beginners because a lot of other beginners also use it. Any questions you might have someone else probably already asked and has been answered.

It's also a distro a lot of software supports out of the box if you don't want to compile everything.

the ubuntu forums also got hacked once

lubuntu?

Yes, Ubuntu is a distro specifically made for entry level desktop users and up, best supported, most packages.

OpenSUSE Leap might be even better as they have better GUI tools, however getting proprietary (forgive me RMS) codecs to work is a bit more difficult than on Ubuntu and they have less packages.

Manjaro/Antergos is very interesting as they offer the latest of everything with nice tooling, would recommend for very new hardware.
Arch based, has the best Linux wiki on the planet.

Forgot to add, if you like KDE, OpenSUSE has the best KDE.

I would recomment highly unstable ms-dos based Windows like W98 first, just to get a grasp what operating system is. Then an NT Windows like 2000. And then finally an Ubuntu linux, which is good to operate provided that you know what you're doing. It's NOT fail-safe or idiot-proof in 100%.

yes, but do kubuntu or kde neon instead

Why gnome over unity and the other one?

Yes. Start with Ubuntu or Mint.

Yes, the Xubuntu variant to be exact.

I wouldn't recommend anybody to start with Linux.

install gentoo

Better, Lubuntu need more love

yes

I'd recommend a suicide.