/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/multifunctionals/laser/i-sensys_mf217w/
canon.ssl.cdn.sdlmedia.com/public/file/635859405937066617SI.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=kynDcGU6LOQ
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/uname.html
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Neutral_Look_at_Operating_Systems/Linux#SourceMage
freeslack.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do amateur game developers hate linux this much?

What are some cool Linux commands?

Reposting

Anyone got an r9 290? I get tons of glitches in a lot of 3d games, some work, but most don't. Mostly no textures. I tried the radeon driver and the amdgpu driver, both glitch out the same. How do I make it work? I'm using mesa 17.0.3 and linux 4.10-19, please help.

Not enough of their target audience uses GNU/Linux to warrant a release for it.

mkfs.reiser4 /dev/wife

Richard Stallman is a Communist

Stop trying to derail the thread, shill.

Is Gentoo just a meme? I've been thinking about trying it but I need a second opinion.

no its actually good distro but requires lots of time and work.

What's the best distro for my RPI?

this:
setting up (proper flags and sheet) requires effort, maintenance requires time (especially when you have to compile glib, llvm or qt).

I'm thinking of buying this printer
canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/multifunctionals/laser/i-sensys_mf217w/
The product PDF
canon.ssl.cdn.sdlmedia.com/public/file/635859405937066617SI.pdf
Linux 3.4 is compatible, Does this mean OOTB ? and support for Scan/Printing?

does wayland offer unity in windows borders? its shocking that so many crappy themes get though breaking gui concurrency

I prefer Ubuntu MATE, but Raspbian is more lightweight and official

printing is managed by CUPS, not the kernel. Check if CUPS supports its.

note: start with the Gutenprint package, I needed that when I had a Canon printer.

can anyone recommend me a quick gnu/linux distro to only do torrenting with? i would have installed fedora 25 workstation + vuze because of familiarity but i need something lighter

thinking about booting puppy linux slacko and then installing deluge, but there must be something else that fits my needs

>why not just do your torrenting from the main OS installed on the PC instead of using a live usb? It's literally no more secure in any way.
there is no host OS on that device right now, but it doesn't have to be a live cd its just i was thinking of using puppy

thanks, im not sure what I'll do just yet

Yes, but a good meme

What did they say to each other?

>Check if CUPS supports its.
How?
Also the printer have WiFi capability.
Doesn't this mean I can print directly without drivers hassles?

Slax + qbtorrent AppImage.

Pacman question...
What do I do if I want to install a package without upgrading the whole system?

pacman -S package

Won't this force the update of dependencies?

install sourcemage

Think for a second.
Will your program run if it depends on another program that has a different version dependency than you satisfy?

If you really want to ins a package without its' dependencies, there are ways, but for your own sake, don't fucking do that

>Linux (system)
Is this true?

i just installed linuxmint but i cant connect to the internet. under network it shows my ethernet as connected and says its at 1000Mb/s but firefox wont connect to anything. also it wont detect my wifi but it will occasionally show it and my neighbours wifi

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=kynDcGU6LOQ

What is the best rolling distro for KDE? Arch or Tumbleweed?

gentoo*

linux is a operating system called linux
gnu is a operating system called gnu
both incomplete on their own, but combined they make a nice system called gnu/linux

both of these faggots are retarded

>If you really want to ins a package without its' dependencies, there are ways, but for your own sake, don't fucking do that
I know that, but I've neglected my -Syu for long time now and I have few GB of updates.
And I need to install a certain package but I'm afraid it will require to update dependencies which will break my older packages.

the gentoo meme is stale, granpa
source mage is where it's it

uname -o is just a nonstandard extension which sole purpose is to print GNU/Linux to make gnutards happy

source meme*

nice meme, but fake news
it prints the os name, Haiku FreeBSD, GMU/kFreeBSD, GNU/Linux, etc

My suggestion: look at the conflicts, check the comments on the pkgs/aurpkgs, make decisions based on analysis of events

I.E. Just read the changes ya silly boy

It's a nonstandard extension for gnutards, uname -s prints the OS mane according to POISX (which prints "Linux" btw)
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/uname.html

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Neutral_Look_at_Operating_Systems/Linux#SourceMage

>It's a nonstandard extension
Where's the problem? The whole kernel is build with nonstandard GNU extensions. Be thankful that they are there or do you prefer a crippled busybox instead?

They don't hate it, they just don't know that any other OS but windows/mac exists

mac is a device, not an operating system

Always buy a printer that can be operated online without having to connect to anything

Mac ships only one OS, MacOS

there are no standard systems
many systems support -o, no only GNU

>muh GNU extensions
Half of the GNU extensions don't even need to exist because they copy basic POSIX functionality

Still doesn't make it standard, POSIX says -s prints the OS name so the OS is "Linux"

That's arch only fault.

>implying the output of a program can decide what's right and wrong

>Always buy a printer that can be operated online without having to connect to anything
I'm open to any suggestion.

It says sourcemage is a meme distro

If it makes you happy to shill for the nonfree software team, go ahead and call it Linux; this is the whole purpose of marketing "Open Source" instead of Free Software and shilling "Linux".

What distro that's not a bleeding edge but always on the latest stable?

Look for terms like cloud printing, email printing/scanning etc. I think HP got you covered

Free Software is a meme, Open Source actually cares about quality.

gentoo without touching package.mask so portage only installs packages marked as stable.

>HP
I want a laser printer.
My current HP printer is inkjet, the price of cartridges have become twice the price of a new printer with ink.

Is it a fault, or is it a lack of streamline? The inclusion of automated decisions for the user in such a circumstance could be catastrophic.
This is why choices are given. If not, you'd be whining that Arch made the wrong choice and - once more, complain as the system to fault you.

Laziness is no excuse to apply for others, only yourself.

Solus or Fedora.

Solus is a meme distro

Fedora is a meme distro

>fedora
>stable

>t. Kevin

"wife" is not a block device though

>asking about printers in a Linux thread

Cool got a real argument?

I bought refillable ink for it though.

Install Solus

>using printers in 2017

brb pewdiepie

I have a HP Laser Jet P1102. Works definitely with Linux/Xubuntu

I've used Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop for about a year now and I've really enjoyed using it. Just recently I became interested in cryptocurrencies and since I've been adamant about security and such. I've also have become annoyed with how restrictive Ubuntu is when it comes to accessing root files. I would happily switch to Debian but I honestly just fucking love the way Ubuntu looks. What's my next step, Sup Forums?

Install Gentoo

install slackware

see

>implying sourcemage wasn't always a meme

>not void
install void

>Windows main laptop can't access the Internet
>This linux shitbox I set up 3 days ago can
God Bless Free Software
GBFS

so, if you are a gamer, you shall avoid linux

>muh games

yes, muh games. i like to play video games, especially the ones from the amateur scene which has never been as active as now.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Fuck off Stallman

>"A Neutral Look at Operating Systems"
>SourceMage is derived from Sorcerer, is probably a meme distro. It uses Sorcery, a poor package manager with bad dependency resolution and featuring a lot of copied features, completely written in bash.
>Perhaps the main difference between Gentoo and SourceMage is the ease of use and installation, which is faster because of the project's emphasis on speed
>It's mainly targeted at Linux From Scratch users bored from the process of maintaining their systems manually, and will look somewhat familiar for Debian users, as its package manager shares some concepts with Apt, but is far more flexible. Also, SourceMage has a Social Contract similar to the Debian Social Contract.
I approve

Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

>implying the OS as a whole isn't still just Linux

>173.233.171.194
(you)

Go ahead pajeet

Linux is the kernel developed by Linus Torvalds. It's nothing else. It's not a box, a machine, a desktop or a partition, further there is no linux font rendering, linux filepicker, linux terminal or linux shell.
There is just Linux, the kernel.

>no Linux terminal
>doesn't know the framebuffer is part of the kernel
Ignored

REKT!

Stallman on suicide watch

>Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile web edit

Another days goes without any reason why phoneposters shouldn't be gassed.

So is there an actually nice file browser for Firefox and Gnome that shows multiple thumbnails at the same time yet?

Or is that still on the To Do (tm) list?

Yes, install KDE.

Thoughts about FreeSlack?

freeslack.net

Damn