If you want to work at a Data Center, will they check your credit score and/or credit history?

If you want to work at a Data Center, will they check your credit score and/or credit history?

The job posting says "Must be able to pass a Criminal Background Check", but I can't be sure whether or not they will also do a credit history check as well.

Many jobs will check your credit history, not limited to a data center gig.

Most employers will check your credit history if they bother with a background check. They do have to disclose that they are doing so to you and you consent.

Is there any reason you'd be concerned about a credit check? Having no credit isn't a problem. They want to make sure you're not massively in debt so someone doesn't offer $10K to have you let them in to do nefarious shit.

Will they toss my application if my credit score is below 600 but background is super clean?

You don't want to work in a data center. They're load as fuck.

Why is your credit score below 600?
Is it debt that has been written off, e.g. sold to a junk debt buyer?

Yes. They don't care about bakruptcy or anything, pretty much just this, but more specifically owing shady elements money. They don't care if you buy a brand new Corvette every year because of your micropenis.

Probably not. My old job did credit checks but I think it had more to do with creating a personnel file than whether or not we hired anyone.

I got the job with zero credit for what it was worth. Non-tech though.

I am definitely concerned. It has an eviction and a couple of failed payments to my phone provider which sent it to collections. Being a dead beat for so long, I finally have my shit together. I'm praying that they overlook the credit part and focus on my (lack of) criminal record instead.

I used to do physical support at a datacenter before it was shut down relocated. I'm profoundly deaf, so I didn't know it was loud. Everyone there usually talked via text pager while I was there, I figured it was because I was deaf and shit at reading lips. Turns out it was because while in the cool rooms everyone is deaf.

If they ask to check that you can be honest, but if it's a prior eviction (and the landlord isn't asserting past debt) and the phone provider sent it to collections, they probably won't care since junk debt is sold for pennies on the dollar to collectors since it's a bitch to collect (usually legally other than your credit report they can't force you to pay it back).

You scamming people out of use of their property and services wasn't very nice of you, but it's worth applying anyway, just to find out if it passes - doing it a few times isn't as bad as doing it lots of times, and the knowledge (at their expense!) would be good in knowing whether your future can be turned around there, or elsewhere.

Good luck, user

Eviction in 2014 because no job and no way to pay and couldnt pay tmobile in 2016 due to no money again. Had problems back in the day 2008-2010 but I don't see them anymore because I guess it's been 7 years.

Will their credit check go past 7 years?

I'm way passed the point of applying. I am at the point where everything including references is done and I will get the job offer AS SOON AS the bg check clears. Obviously pissing my pants because I noticed that I had to authorize them the credit check in the papers I consented to.

fair credit reporting act I think it was that I had to okay... but the job post and my manager only stated I had to pass CRIMINAL bg check. I was too afraid to ask about a credit check.

It won't go past 7 years, by that point it should have fallen off your report. If they ask, just explain that it's basically said and done and a learning experience etc.

Point being, nobody is holding a gun to your head for $50,000 or whatever now.

The primary purpose of a financial background check is to see if you can manage your shit (finance only) or if you have debts that make you a liabiltiy. Written off eviction debt or cell phone bills don't really matter.

Thanks user. Your post seemed to relax me. However the eviction is not written off. What happened was after I knew for a fact I couldn't pay and I had to leave, I basically put all my stuff in storage and cleaned the place spotless. Yet they still put me on collections for about $5,000 and it's obviously still there.

Problem is that it's kind of a government job with a LEVEL 2 or layer 2 background check and I had my fingerprints scanned as well.

Maybe this info clears some things up.

Oh boy. I'm a US citizen but I've never done a background check. I know people who have.
From what an FBI agent told me they generally care more about honesty then anything else. If you have substantial liabilities that a foreign party could take advantage of, that's one thing, but I don't think written off debt should be an issue. Be candid and you'll have to see what they say.

If your version of events is true, theoretically the landlord could sue you. But the statute of limitations varies by state. It might be too late depending on where you are for your landlord to have any legal claim towards you.

The biggest problem seems to be money. If the problems with money are related to a LACK of employment that's one thing. If you were employed and somehow shit the bed on finances still, that increases your risk level, because you could have a nice government job and still end up in debt and look for a way out.

Honestly just be candid and move forward, the government is generally good at finding this stuff and context helps make you into a human being. If it's on your credit report they will see it. Your explanations for such will help a lot.

By the way, a lot of junk debt buyers either violate the law or can't prove they own the debt; some will settle on a "pay for delete" for pennies on the dollar where they agree to remove the debt if you pay it off. Definitely consult a credit repair board, it'll make your life easier.

I didn't want to bring it up before hand thinking that it just might be the criminal check that they are interested in, as was stated in the job description and the hiring guy kept asking if my criminal bg was indeed clean. He never mentioned credit.

If they find something, is it HR who will call me to discuss or my potential manager who helped me get this far in the process. I will be honest with them if the questions arise.

I was not employed by a company but did a little freelance to keep the food on the table. It's also not that big a data center and it has nothing to do with banks or financial institutions so I hope that makes it easier.

With background checks it's advisable to wait and see if they ask questions rather than bringing it up upfront.

Best of luck.

Exactly.

Pic related is the thing that will change for the better or worse in the upcoming hours.

My company forgot to background check me for 11 months... but it wasn't government. (ADP called me out of the blue almost a year after I was hired for the background check, HR verified it was legit).