Rb

Ruby is the best programming language, prove me wrong.

>protip:
you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

infoq.com/news/2012/11/twitter-ruby-to-java
rubyinside.com/media/poignant-guide.pdf
ruby-doc.com/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
learnrubythehardway.org/book/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is rails so fucking difficult to set up on anything that isn't a fucking mac?

It's not particularly difficult to set up on linux, since everybody has ubuntu guides because pretty much everybody who uses rails deploys to AWS, Heroku or Engine Yard.

>too shity for twitter
>rapidly being replaced by C#

Ruby is a meme.

>cancer community
>only known for rails which is 100% dead because it's slow and better alternatives

i like ruby's syntax but there's 0 application for it today. it suffers the same problems as python, except python actually has libraries and a niche (math shit, general systems scripting).

>only known for rails which is 100% dead because it's slow and better alternatives
The really sad part is that they could have been saved. If DHH's arrogance hadn't gotten in the way of competent developers using rails, the worst parts of rails could have been worked out with sensible use of SQL and native extensions, and the javascript part could have been made by actual javascript developers instead of rails retards who constantly talked about how much they hated javascript and how everything should be as ruby-focused as possible.

But no, DHH had to shit all over everything and constantly reject the idea that there should be actually smart people working in rails and constantly shit on about how he's a shitty programmer and so shitty programmers should be the norm, which caused the rails community to be filled with shitty programmers which scared everybody good away. And it had so much potential.

mfw I just started learning rails to get into webdev

Is Rails really dead?
What should I learn instead? MEAN stack?

i'm not really into webdev, but there are alternatives like phoenix (elixir), which is an actually performant and scalable language. but don't take my word for it.

Rails is much less important but certainly not dead.

Dot net (C#), Java or PHP will land you a job for life. Rust, Go, nodejs or more front end stuff (react, angular 2) is more hipster and high paying but likely to trod the path of rails. If you don't have a university degree, invest heavily in JavaScript/css. Employers care less about education for front end development.

>by C#
you mean Java? infoq.com/news/2012/11/twitter-ruby-to-java

Name one good program in Ruby

>protip
you can't

It's not. Install rvm, install appropriate Ruby version, install passenger, configure apache. Note if you don't know what you're doing with apache then that part is usually the hardest, but that's Apahce's fault not Ruby or rails.

>Is rails really dead?
Not really, people are just turning their backs on rails when they need a performant API and there are all kinds of guides for how to rip out the shittiest way of handling javascript ever conceived and using something normal, but maybe rails got javascript right this time with the newest rails 5 release... although it might be too little, too late. Abandoning jquery 7 years after it should have been abandoned is laughable.

The way things are moving, if rails doesn't get its shit together soon, somebody is going to come around and have something 100% worth abandoning it for. Or maybe it will just bleed out all of its trend-following, hipster, shit devs who saw Go, Rust, Elixir or Swift as the next shiny thing to brag about knowing and will actually get better. Who knows.

How is Python better for systems scripting than Ruby, other than Python is guaranteed to be installed? Genuinely curious. I use Ruby a lot for systems scripts and only Python when there's some sdk I need to use and there isn't one for Ruby. I think some people at work would prefer I use Python, but they're non programmers who have just learned Python as their first and only language.

>other than python is guaranteed to be installed
>some people prefer python because it's the first language they learned

you already listed the main points desu. it's not like a sysadmin will be 100% proficient on any language. if python works, they'll use it. also python has a shitton of libraries or whatever, which ruby sometimes misses - although the inverse is never true.
as i said, i like ruby syntax, and for some time it was my favorite language (and i guess it still can be, if it gets it's shit together). i guess i shouldn't have said "better", just "more widely used".

Metasploit

Ruby is shit for scientific computing. How can I solve PDEs or optimize a little l^1 norm with this garbage language?

It's awful and it's abandoned. I'd rather learn a language with less useless syntactic sugar and more useful syntactic sugar. Rails is shitty and Ruby as a whole is inferior to any given strongly typed functional programming language and as slow as Python. How do you do Qt development in Ruby? Oh yeah, you don't.

Yeah, it's dead. You should probably learn Node.js if you want a quick entry to fullstack development. Python has a bunch of good frameworks, like WebPy or Tornado. Go is cool if you plan to eventually do low-level development. Ocaml is cool, but I've never tried it for webdev.
JUST DON'T USE PHP. DO NOT USE PHP. It's barely a real programming language.

>best programming language

There is no such thing.

Proof:

You want to write an OS?
Use Assembly, C, C++, ...

You want to do data science?
Use Python+Pandas, R, Julia, ...

You want to write fault-tolerant, parallel distributed applications?
Use Erlang, Go, ...

You want to write DSLs?
Use LISP, Ruby, Haskell, ...

You want to do anything else?
Use a fucking language that does the job.

>Ruby for DSLs
I've always used Ocaml for this. Why would anyone ever use Ruby? Seems like a bad idea.

> (You)
>>Ruby for DSLs
>I've always used Ocaml for this. Why would anyone ever use Ruby? Seems like a bad idea.

I forgot to mention Ocaml. Ruby is still great for DSLs. Strong metaprogramming.

Thanks family.
My background is mostly Java, C, and Fortran. I'm an undergrad.

Rails seemed like the most mature/cohesive stack other than .NET, and I want some webdev skills. Preferably more focused on backend. Rails has been pretty easy to work with, too.

I already have enough shit written with Rails that I'll stick with it for the time being, but I'll definitely look into MEAN.

I love Ruby but it's basically a dead language. It's got some life left in it thanks to deployment platforms using it but other than that, no real reason to ever use it.

So fucking comfy to write in though.

>Or maybe it will just bleed out all of its trend-following, hipster, shit devs who saw Go, Rust, Elixir or Swift as the next shiny thing to brag about knowing and will actually get better.
Well, it's just like with relationships. You don't go into one with a person that has cheated on their partner to be with you, because soon you will be the one that get's cheated on.
This is how rails got its userbase and this is exactly how it will lose it. Elixir with Phoenix looks really great indeed.

>Rails seemed like the most mature/cohesive stack other than .NET
Spring

What do you think about elixir?
Is this just a meme?

It's just Erlang adapted for the webdev crowd of 2017. Erlang is pretty serious and definitely not a meme.

I'm a former rubyist with several successful gems published as far as download count go.

Ask me anything.

There is no best programming language

They all have different use niches and target users

Ruby is like python but unreadable. It really shouldn't be used by anyone in a professional context.

It's just as readable as any other language. It's a bit different, but that's a pretty easy bar to get over.

which gems?

book recs for learning ruby?

Why's Guide is okay but has some quirky humor that might turn people off.

rubyinside.com/media/poignant-guide.pdf

For something more serious, the Pragmatic Programmer guide is great. And it's free:

ruby-doc.com/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

Are you retarded?

gem install rails
rails new you-are-a-faggot

SO HARD!

>which gems?

I'd rather not post them. My real name is in there.

>book recs for learning ruby?

Well grounded rubyist
Eloquent Ruby
Pickaxe
Metaprogramming Ruby
Ruby under a microscope (and whatever else you can read about Ruby internals)

What are you doing now?

Consulting for companies

I don't do Ruby anymore. My gems are unmaintained. They're free software so if anyone depends on them that much they can just fork it and do it themselves.

So, you don't write codes much now?

No, I tell people how to do it correctly. I get brought into projects in order to be responsible for it's success because developers failed.

Then what language you use now and why?

Whatever the project demands. I know a lot of them.

Ok, then what language you would learn now if you were a newbie to webdev?

meant to

>if you were a newbie to webdev

Javascript no contest. It's the language of the web. Know it inside out.

> OS
> assembly
The need of assembly disappeared with UEFI.

Github

destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

It's not dead. Don't listen to the haters. Go on stack overflow, and look at all the discussion. A lot of Ruby/Rails developers are very supportive. I don't enjoy using JavaScript, but it's easy to incorporate react into an application with react rails gem. There's a big reason why everyone, even Microsoft adopted the MVC design pattern. I'd recommend Ruby on Rails tutorial, it's a free online version that is constantly updated. Good luck, user.

If I can't then why did you even waste time asking the question OP? Seems like your a fucking idiot for expending energy on something you know can't be answered.

>There's a big reason why everyone, even Microsoft adopted the MVC design pattern.
The success and rapid adoption of Spring Framework released in March 2004?

Slow as fuck

best books for it?

vagrant

Homebrew
Gitlab

>install rvm
either install rbenv or asdf
NOTHING ELSE.

learnrubythehardway.org/book/