/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Neutral_Look_at_Operating_Systems/Linux#SourceMage
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse/sort-by-votes
scs.stanford.edu/histar/
muen.sk/
freevms.net/
freedos.org/
github.com/brho/plan9
lng.sourceforge.net/
reactos.org/
jnode.org/
kolibrios.org/en/
forthos.org/
gnu.org/software/hurd/
brianlinkletter.com/how-to-use-virtualbox-to-emulate-a-network/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gns3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

try sourcemage en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Neutral_Look_at_Operating_Systems/Linux#SourceMage

No.

I'm looking to switch form Ubuntu to Debian but it seems like an awkward time to do so. I'm interested in Debian 9 bc some of the new packages are things I'd rather not do without. Should I install 8.8 and upgrade or would I save time by using the testing installer?

Also, should I have a separate root account? I'm going to be the only one using this computer.

Is GIMP good to replace Photoshop? Or is more worthy if I install wine?

I don't not about the debian part, but is always advisable to use a separate account from root

Install GIMP. Activate single window mode, install the G'MiC plugins.

GIMP is a great program and just as capable as photoshop.

gmic is epic, works on its own too via cli (like imagemagick)

can confirm GIMP comes in single window mode by default now

has a separate GUI too

if you use case is more about making memes than professional editing then yes.

I'm asking because I saw this on the Debian Wiki;
>As of DebianSqueeze, if you give root an empty password during installation, sudo will be installed and the first user will be able to use it to gain root access (currently, the user will be added to the sudo group). The system will also configure gksu and aptitude to use sudo. You should still verify group membership after logging in as the installed user.

""""""professional""""""

>can confirm GIMP comes in single window mode by default now
No it doesn't. Your distribution must have patched it to be that way by default.

proud to have Devuan

I'm looking for a launcher that has a overlay-thingy with icons like homerun or that launcher ubuntu has, but I'm on arch.
Any suggestions?

What are the advantages of using CLI over GUI?

can you guys recommend me a quick and light gnu/linux distro to do some torrenting with? im familiar with fedora 25 workstation and would use that + installing vuze but less resource usage is really preferable here

there's no operating system on the system right now, it doesn't have to be a live cd or anything. i dont want to spend a whole bunch of time getting it ready either so while >install gentoo + rtorrent would be light on resources eventually it isnt really an option

thanks but my experiences with qbittorrent have been bad and i couldn't find an appimage for anything else

>Devuan
That's my wife's son's name!

Excuse me. You just have to click literally one button to enable single windiw mode.

Anybody try to develop for GNOME? It's a fucking mess. There's no good documentation on how to develop using this fucking gay ass flatpak thing, so you're forced to either use jhbuild, which is a pile of shit, or their shitty IDE.

KDE fucking sucks as a DE imo but at least its really easy to hack away.

Please rephrase your question to intelligible English and try again.

We're talking about the default interface.

Without shitposting, what made you settle for your preferred desktop environment? What advantages or features did it offer that others didn't?

>KDE Neon

It just looked better than others.

First for my choice GNU/Linux distribution.

He wants Unity but not Unity.

What does gmic do exactly.

Ratpoison is not a DE but thanks to it there is no need to configure a thousand things when it comes with one config file to change shortcuts for everything

yeah I could change distros but arch is comfy as fuck

That's GNOME

This is extremely problematic

x-----D ebin

I've been trying Mint for the past few days and it really is wonderful. I can definitely see myself favoring a GNU/Linux environment over Windows.

The only problem I've had is my wireless USB adapter has terrible speeds in Mint. I'll keep looking for a fix. It's the only thing keeping me on Windows at the moment.

Whenever I use tlp on my kaby lake laptop (default configuration) it makes my desktop lag quite a lot, but has about 5W of power saving. How do I disable/reduce the impact it has on CPU power?

Don't use systemd

How can I get flowblade in Solus?

Lets talk about security for a moment.

There are Linux Security Modules (LSM), and kernel patches. I been digging a little and some interesting LSM are AppArmor and Smack, have anyone use them?

Also, besides RSBAC (alternative to grsec) there is a SecurelLevel, but apparently Linus himself reject it because he wanted "capabilities" instead. Thoughts?

Does Pulseaudio have any extra audio latency over pure ALSA? Does it make much of a difference for rhythm games?

all extra hardening stuff, even SELinux is 99% pure tinfoil for desktop use. You're already safe from malware/average hackers because you're using GNU/Linux, which is already a trillion times more secure than windows, and has hardly any malware targeting it. If you're worried about the NSA or CIA getting into your data, you may as well not bother. You're already safe from their mass data collection in windows, but chances are they already have a remote backdoor to your CPU.

I am not talking about desktop use, I am asking for industrial grade security, if that is the correct term

Pulse has higher latency than ALSA.

Sup Forums how do I encrypt my shit? My partition setup right now is simple (500mb FAT Efi partition, then the rest of the disk is ext4 mounted at /). How do I go about moving to full disk encryption? Should I encrypt /boot? Between luks and lvm and all the other solutions I'm confused as to which is best. Preferably something that won't hurt performance much.

No it doesnt

How much are we talking about though? Something irrelevant like 0.5ms or 3+ ms?

Use JACK

Why would you want to encrypt shit?

archwiki
full disk encryption
search it

see
Get this Poettering shit out of here.

not him, but encrypting the boot partition is one step to prevent evil maid attacks, although I wish someone help me choose a LSM to complement all that

What are some cool terminal commands?

sudo apt-get install internet

LOL!

commandlinefu.com/commands/browse/sort-by-votes

cat

cat > file.txt # then press CTRL+D to end the file
cat file.txt # then write END and press ENTER to end the file
lpr -p canon file.doc # prints "file.doc" to the "canon" printer
kill -1 processName # re-reads the process's configuration file
kill -9 processName # kills process without question
su - usernanme -c command # do one command as another user
display -window root ~/wallpaper.jpg # set wallpaper though imagemagick
import -window root png:$HOME/xwz_$(date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S").png # take screenshots though imagemagick
killall -INT avconv 2>/dev/null || avconv -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0 $HOME/output.webm & # record desktop through avconv (I need to fix the quality though)

:(){ :|:& };:

Xfce, because it takes a few minutes to customize it how I like. Its lightweight enough that I can run it on any of my computers. KDE looks pretty and has a ton of features but I don't think I'd use any of them

>kill -9
Should only used when nothing else works, since -9 actually, really kills the process, so it can't save states, free memory, etc like it would to on termination.

>cat > file.txt
neat
>>>/9gag/

>processName
kill actually wants a PID, I'd suggest to use pkill

for((i=0;;i++)){ printf "%$(bc -l

9fag () { printf ">>>/9gag/" && 9fag & }; 9fag

topkek

LOL!

What is it about Unix users that makes them want to destroy technology?

There are no Unix users around anymore.

im trying to mount a usb stick but it says it's the wrong fs type? I'm not sure what it's complaining about. the stick works fine on my other machine so I'm not sure what exactly I am missing.

What filesystem is it

ext4

kek
How are you trying to mount it.Post what you're using.
I highlt doubt you dont have ext4 support built in your kernel

I'm just doing sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt

>I highlt doubt you dont have ext4 support built in your kernel

That's exactly why I'm confused, my man.

can I install Linux on my Android?

Can you install Unix on your OSX?

Does it have multiple partitions?

the usb? no.

Friendly remind that Linux is just the kernel. Other kernels are:
HiStar scs.stanford.edu/histar/
and The Muen Separation Kernel muen.sk/

Operating Systems under GPL are:
FreeVMS freevms.net/
FreeDOS freedos.org/
Plan 9 github.com/brho/plan9
LUnix lng.sourceforge.net/
ReactOS reactos.org/
JNode jnode.org/
KolibriOS kolibrios.org/en/
ForthOS forthos.org/

Special mention to GNU/Hurd gnu.org/software/hurd/

Afaik the T800 Terminator runs Linux so it should work with yours too.

try /dev/sdb1

oh, what the fuck that worked? I'm sorry. I didn't even think of that for some reason

You were trying to mount the entire block device instead of the partition.The block device was not formated so it threw the error

Why the fuck does redshift not fucking work? It keeps thinking it's day when it's night.
[redshift]
temp-day=4000
temp-night=2200
transition=0
location-provider=manual
adjustment-method=randr
[manual]
lat=4X
lon=-7X

>LUnix

I just use redshift -l lat:long

How do I get this to look better? The font just looks off to me

Use a better font

At this point I'm just going to Pajeet this and reverse day/night.

Whats a good reshift day/night setting? I want to try it and see if it's a meme or really cool.

Can someone point me to a tutorial on building a virtualized network for testing purposes. Basically, I want to emulate a router with multiple routers virtually connected to it and multiple clients virtually connected to each router, complete with a firewall, dmz, and the ability to virtualize anything else I feel like throwing in. I'm thinking something like qemu would be perfect for realistic emulation, but how would I go about virtually connecting each emulated device? I'm currently working on Arch but I can easily switch to something else if need be.

Hey cool, I'm on Arch too.

4200k/1200k
Night setting might be a bit too low though unless you're in a pitch black room, which I usually am when I run it since I try to go to bed early.

Thanks

Lol. Cool. Honestly though it's great for older machines, at least in my opinion. I get ~5 hours of heavy usage on my 11+ year old x60 tablet with the original battery.

Think I found what I was looking for. Seems it can be done in VirtualBox which sounds obvious but it's been a few years since I used it so and even then, I only ever virtualized individual machines so I didn't think of it until now. Here's the link if anyone's interested:
brianlinkletter.com/how-to-use-virtualbox-to-emulate-a-network/

That being said, if anyone has any links to doing this specifically with qemu please throw them my way.

pacman broke (surprise) and isn't checking the official repositories. How do I fix?

Din¡t use it myself but GNS3 is a network emulator wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gns3

install ubunut

too big

That's what she said.