/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

Post anything relating to mechanical keyboards or switches
> post your custom keyboard
>shitpost TOPRE users

Have fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

chrisabides.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/review-and-programming-tutorial-tada68/
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keyboard/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils?variant=34710238797
aliexpress.com/item/top-printed-pbt-keycaps-uk-layout-iso-oem-profile-for-usb-gaming-mechanical-keyboard/32804826300.html
tradera.com/item/340827/282573366/nytt-mekaniskt-tangentbord-kompakt-cherry-g84-4100
matt3o.com/the-whitefox-shall-run/
youtube.com/watch?v=U_DiF9dMFkI
youtube.com/watch?v=gh2sT_69jBI
youtube.com/watch?v=QWfXSbcKTtc
youtube.com/watch?v=pwUFa8oZRy0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do people hate Pok3r? It has great build quality and all the programmability you'd want.

I just ordered a Pok3r rgb myself. I couldn't really tell you. Maybe the size?

You made a good purchase, once you get the right keys and a coil keyboard cable it's perfect. I've been using mine for about a year and it was completely worth it.

What's the deal with all of these sub $30 mechanical keyboards floating around now? Are they any good? Did a patent expire? I am planning on getting a $19 one because how different can they possibly be from a $50 mechanical keyboard?

RIP mkg threads.

I just got Leopold. I like it.

They've been around for a little over a year now so people have already found the best ones out there. Tomoko, magicforce, royal kludge and monoprice are okay. Also the patents expired ages ago. Cherry MX switches are even older then the IBM model M

These filco doubleshots are pretty cheap if you want to see if you like SA keycaps.

>tfw you will never see sub $300 keyboards with cherry keycap compatible beam spring clones in your lifetime

>waiting for Planck massdrop

what are some good wrist rests for a tenkeyless keyboard
whats the best material for a wrist rest
i have a k95 with a built in plastic one and i like it a lot
how are the fabric, rubber, leather, foam, or wood ones?
inb4 arm rests

but why

it's not bad but now there are more alternatives like tada 68

I don't think I'm doing any more massdrop after this. The way they (didn't) handle delays is absurd.

9 months going on my lunar set :(

cause ive used a k95 for a few years and its hard to go back

I might order some gaterons from ebay and make my own little gaming pad thingy (sort of like the razer orbweaver)
To replace my kb when gaming

How useful are they, should i spend some time + 15$ for one

if you are talking about how useful the mini keypads are
they arent that great
i used to have an orbweaver and the constant switching between the two was pretty annoying
also having a limited amount of keys is pretty annoying when playing something that has a lot of keybindings
so something basic like battlefield it works just as good as a normal keyboard

tldr; normal keyboard am better

>Under $150, preferably around or under $100

>US

>MX Reds? Anything good, mechanical, and semi-quiet

>ANSI

>tenkeyless, but preferably with a few macro keys on the left

>no backlights necessary

Any recs?

im highly considering getting a tenkeyless keyboard but my main problem is that the good ones rarely come with media or volume keys
i dont know anything about key rebinding but with something like the tada68 could i have fn + arrow keys be a stand in for media keys?
like fn + up/down be volume and fn + left/right be previous/next track

yes

chrisabides.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/review-and-programming-tutorial-tada68/

>my main problem is that the good ones rarely come with media or volume keys
You can get a quickfire rapid and add a frosty flake controller. Or you can be smart and just use autohotkey.

>when your switches finally arrive
Today is a good day

Greetings /mkg/, I'm new here and I'm looking for a keyboard; there are arguably some dedicated places to shop around, wasd, happy hacking, etc. So long as I can press the keys, I'll get to first world hair-splitting smugness later. My question is: all the keyboards I see have four modifier keys to the right of the spacebar. I don't want this. I want only three keys there, which also calls for a bigger spacebar. Is my only option to design/laser cut the parts myself or is anyone building keyboards with three modifier keys at each side of the spacebar?

So since we're getting right into hair-splitting, why do you want three keys there? It'll be near impossible to find a spacebar that fits that layout.

The only commonly available mechanical keyboard that I'm aware od that has that layout is the apple extended keyboard II

Going to buy Tomoko/Victsing/PicTek I-500 as my first mechanical keyboard. Am I doing it right?

That's typically referred to as a "winkeyless" bottom row

1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5

As the name implies, the B.87 and B.87 EX from winkeyless.kr support this, as do quite a few custom TKL and Fullsize keyboards.

It's because when using a Mac, I want Control-Option-Command at both sides. I don't have a need for the fourth key, which is usually nonsense like 'second mouse button', or 'windows key', or 'meta'. When in emacs, the meta keybindings are easy enough to remap. Last, but not least, the symmetry of that layout appeals to me much more than the usual layouts. Oh, and I happen to have that keyboard, used it extensively in the 90s, and I think it's the greatest Apple has made.
Thanks for the name user, let's see if I can find something out there.
Those are measurements you are writing there?

Finally fixed up that stupidly clacky spacebar

Are there any good keycaps with English and Ukrainian characters? Or even just Ukrainian?

t. khokhol

Yes, but they cost a lot of money. You're better off buying something like this

yevshan.com/main.asp?
pid=10819

OP pls

pastebin for whoever needs it:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG

Where do you even get a TADA68 anymore

Yeah, keycap sizes. Keycaps are measured using a baseline of a single alphanumeric keycap being equal to 1u.

Normally the ctrl, windows and alt keys are 1.25u and the spacebar is 6.25u, for these symmetrical bottom rows they use 1.5u size ctrl and alt keys, 1u size super (win, cmd, etc) keys and a 7u spacebar.

is the custom dsa pbt keyset in pmk worth the price(90$+)? or are there cheaper alternatives?

Get some chink DSA PBT for 40 bucks. There is also XDA, but that is only slightly cheaper

You can get one on Taobao for $58 shipping will be a bit but it is probably the cheapest way to get one. Otherwise Kbdfans on aliexpress or their website kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keyboard/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils?variant=34710238797

Where can I as a nordic user get a hold of flat profiled cherry mx keys with laser etched letters(for LED)?

I want to diy a bit with this old mechanical keyboard I have.

I came across the usb cable at the bottom. Can I remove this and solder an "extension cable"?
I want to get this keyboard as flat as possible and this thing is in the way, so having a cable running from the pins to the usb connector would help a lot.

nowhere. you won't find any good ones at least. these will feel better to to type on anyway

aliexpress.com/item/top-printed-pbt-keycaps-uk-layout-iso-oem-profile-for-usb-gaming-mechanical-keyboard/32804826300.html

I'd rather have lower quality flat profile than good quality tall ones.

The only flat profile keycaps that exist are g20

>le "i want people to think i have unmarked keys but i still can't touch type" keyboard

Then what is this?
Cherry MX Board 3.0

Those have the flat keys I want.

I have seen tons of flat profile keys.
But now I can't find shit.

What's the deal? Is there some physical limitations?

oh you mean uniform keys. Well yeah there are plenty of those. If you want cheap ones with LED support then consider suicide cause there are no options. If you drop the LED requirement then consider XDA

Got a keyboard with Blues a few days ago

It's nice, but I don't think it was worth 100€

should've gotten a €30 one with blues instead

Xda uniform? That doesn't give me much result either.

I feel that this should be more popular.

Mechanical keyboards are luxury merchandise.

which one did you get? did you do your research on what you were getting yourself into? anyway i think you'll like it more once you've gotten used to it.

cherry ML?

I'd have to get a whole new keyboard for low profile keys?

ML does look good though, thanks.

ML is trash. The kailh and gateron clones are much better

you can find them for cheap, even brand new.

(you said you're a nordic user so this link might be relevant to you)
tradera.com/item/340827/282573366/nytt-mekaniskt-tangentbord-kompakt-cherry-g84-4100

but yeah look at clones like said

Rosewill RK-9000V2 blues
70€ sans shipping

which of these split space bars would you pick? (if at all)

top because you can find proper 3u spacebars to buy and they're not too narrow so you get more freedom for how you want to place your thumbs

Where do you even those switches? And keycaps to go with them?

>omg spacebar tilted toward the user this is not allowed reeeeeee

the fuck are you going on about?

a few autists in /mkg/ get triggered over flipped spacebars. they claim it's not ergonomic but the funny thing is that keyboards that are designed to be ergonomic usually have spacebars/thumbkeys that are sloped toward the user or neutral. the real reason that they're uncomfortable with it is probably that they're redditors who are trying too hard to fit in on Sup Forums (flipping the spacebar is a reddit invention). what's hilarious is that the undone tripfag gets incredibly assmad about flipped spacebars when he uses DSA profile which has a neutral spacebar so flipped cherry/OEM profile spacebars should be none of his concern.

reminder that different parts of your body are shaped differently

Not this shit again.

reminder that the spacebar is allowed to be angled toward you

The memeforce 68 has media keys, using the fn key.

Why stop at spacebar ?
Angle the entire row toward you.

Best keyboard I've ever used

this seems like a good idea actually. i don't use the bottom row much so i haven't bothered with it. flipping the entire row would let me have my palms closer to the keyboard without the bottom rows poking me, and the bottom left key (i have swapped left ctrl and caps lock) would be nicer to press with my palm.

Found in a Massdrop thread

matt3o.com/the-whitefox-shall-run/

Apparently there will be a black/grey anodized aluminum whitefox in the near future.

Thoughts?

mate I sent you an invite link some days ago

Come back to us

why tho

You have autism m8

Clay kicked you for joke or smth, I dunno

Anyway, I miss your shitposting come back

alright i'll join later

Any comments on Outemu switches?

they're good clones, not as popular as gateron but they don't have a bad reputation like kailh

outemu blue > gateron blue
gateron brown, black, red > * brown, black, red

Outemu and gateron blues are too high pitched. Cherry clicky switches are better then both

>too high pitched
not an issue with thick and heavy keycaps

Hey guys, I´m the heterosexual guy who ruin der click of his X key meanwhile was trying to catch a fucking charmander.

I already dissasembly the switch, but I tried over and over, but I can´t figure how the fuck get again that click. Someone can be so nice to share a picture where I can see the correct position of those little metals?

no way this is 152 wpm rofl

youtube.com/watch?v=U_DiF9dMFkI

152wpm peak maybe

youtube.com/watch?v=gh2sT_69jBI

Even EnjoyPBT they are still high pitched. I can't stand the noise.

hey /mkg/

I've been using this model M at work, the CM(mx blue) at home, and the Vortex(mx blue) a bit when I'm just sorta lazily typing stuff and not trying to code anything.

I've got a Ducky One Grey & Blue PBT 100% (cherry mx brown) on it's way now. I got it on the advice of a couple friends and seeing them mentioned on here. I'm going to be using it mostly for coding and stuff (probably at work because the model M is LOUD). (I also got an Arch themed unicomp keyset coming too which i'm loked about)

Did I get a meme board that my other stuff is better than or did I get a nice addition that'll fit the purpose well

What do you think about Gateron brown?

The only thing better than a Model M is a Model F

beam spring > all

Ehh yes and no

The beamspring switch is absolutely incredible but the layout of the boards suck and they're so damn hard to type on due to how high up the keys sit.

it won't be clicky like your other boards but that's good if you want something quieter at work

What do you gentlemen think about the Logitech / Omron Romer-G?

Are they different enough from the other switches to be worth trying?

I really do like the tactile nature of the model M, I'm not really sure what it is I just know the key has been pressed, I know I can really fuck up the board, it doesn't slide around. Lots off good things about it. The chasis is my problem frankly. I love the Vortex Core Chasis because it's basically just not there. The Ducky One seemed relatively non-invasive too.

never tried gateron browns and was going to get a tada68, or I can pay roughly the same price and get a ducky One with Cherry browns which wouldnt take over 2 weeks delivery. 100% or 60% form doesn't matter to me. Which should I get?

tada 68

you'll be thankful later that you went with a more compact layout so you can have your mouse closer to the home row. and gateron brown is a lot smoother than cherry mx brown.

youtube.com/watch?v=QWfXSbcKTtc
youtube.com/watch?v=pwUFa8oZRy0

does having a metal case make a large difference besides with the sound you get? $60 seems steep for a case

it's mainly just the sound