Been using default vim as a server-side text editor for like 10 years

>been using default vim as a server-side text editor for like 10 years
>just okay at using it
Is making vim your real desktop text editor a meme? Sublime is nice and I don't have to worry about muh modes.

Post your favorite vim plugins, I guess. I'm interested in autocompletion for C++, anyone use clang-complete or YouCompleteMe?

I'm using vim for C development for like 2 years and I'm fine with it.

Using vim for C/C++ development pretty much forces you into creating your own working toolchain configuration instead of using an IDE. Some things are really hard to do without an IDE like "go to tag definition" ( you need ctags for that ) or "get a list of all the places this function is being called from" ( you need cscope for that )

On that point some types of development are really hard to do with manually set up toolchain, like ARM development ( IDEs there are superior ). Be careful what you do and make your setup to serve your purpose, not the other way around.

NOTE: YouCompleteMe is like 50 different plugins, really heavy. Keep it light, or sooner or later you will have to declare a "plugin bancrupcy"

clang-complete is pretty alright on its own, gets the job done. if auto completion is an absolute must, stick with something faster like deoplete, otherwise try to avoid the autocomplete plugins as they're quite heavy. that said, some of my personal favorite plugins include
tpope/vim-reapeat
tpope/vim-surround
tpope/vim-commentary
scrooloose/nerdtree
airblade/vim-gitgutter
sjl/gundo
tommcdo/vim-exchange
junegunn/vim-easy-align

as user mentioned before it might not be what you're expecting of it and you must be willing to put in some effort of your own if you want a streamlined toolchain from vim. if you can get over that the possibilities are endless and you can customize it to behave exactly as you want, which is where the appeal is for most people using it as 'real desktop text editor'

bump

>all these fags saying to use vim
>no one wants to talk about it

fucking this lel

"why do you use vim?"

>haha theres way too much to explain here bud you'll just have to try it out and see the main thing for me is that it's just a really nice typing experience once you get used to it

well what the fuck is there to say about it

it's a text editor

Map jj to switch from insertion mode to command mode.

Thank me later.

i use jk because if you're already in command mode it leaves you where you began

Any good non-tryhard text editors? Tried vim and it's clearly a meme just like emacs. So anything like Sublime but that isn't shit?

why doesn't vim just work? why do i have to hunt down plugins and spend weeks configuring it when it could just work correctly right out of the box. same with emacs

exactly my friend

they're memes, and only try hard youths are using them now for a cred no one gives a shit about.

just use nano to edit text and an IDE for programming.

I use jk and kj, so I can just smash them at the same time to get out of insert AND keep cursor at same place if I'm already in normal.

A good text editor isn't going to magically make you a competent developer. Stop fucking around and choose something.

vim is great for text editing, but for everything else you should try and find better tools

I use vim because I like it
I don't have enough time in my day to convert people to vim

Vim offers a lot more flexibility over something like nano and lets me easily edit files on a remote server without needing to be a master to use it

Vim has go to tag definitions.

Protip: sharpen your vi memory by using vi keys for ksh/bash.

set -o vi

Gives you vi modal cli.

I tried using vim for c++. Spent like 2 days looking for plugins. In the end, I realised it is too damn shitty and went back to visual studio

Thanks

vim is great, i got memed into using it a few years ago and now i would never really consider anything else
the only plugins i use however are NERDTree and the Ada bundle for syntax and indenting

the rest that i need is doable by a few tweaks (syntax highlighting for typedefs and whatever if you need)

heyo vimfags
given this line
[cod]
keys['af'] = function() ui.find.find_incremental(ui.command_entry:get_text(), true, true) end
[/code]
how do you select each of the following
>ui.command_entry:get_text()
>af
>'af'
>ui.command_entry:get_text(), true, true
>ui.find.find_incremental(ui.command_entry:get_text(), true, true)
naviigating to and selecting certain text snippets takes most of my editing time and i was wondering if vim makes this easier
please respond

in my opinion the customizability is the main reason to vim being so great, go to vimawesome and you will feel like a kid on christmas seeing all the different plugins and how much you can customize most of them

all you need is syntastic with clang as checker, make a keybind for compile and run, and it's already on par with an IDE

>go to vimawesome
>doesn't work without cancerscript enabled
Truly awesome

>ui.command_entry:get_text()
2f(lvt,
>af
vi'
>'af'
f[vi[
>ui.command_entry:get_text(), true, true
2f(vi(
>ui.find.find_incremental(ui.command_entry:get_text(), true, true)
/uiv2f)

make sure you are at beginning of line, otherwise you will need to change it a little

>otherwise you will need to change it a little
please explain as well

None of those work in gvim, are windows users fucked?

you got it all backward, vim is good as is

you can install them manually if you want and it works. the different kind of scripts are just to make the install process more convenient, as you can just bring your .vimrc, run it once and it will download and install everything as you've set it up to do. it's useful if you move around a lot.

that is true, I didn't mean to imply the plugins is the main reason but the customizability.