Is Ubuntu a good choice for a first GNU/Linux distro?

Is Ubuntu a good choice for a first GNU/Linux distro?

Yes.

Don't initially fall for the Arch/Gentoo meme. Just get Ubuntu and use it for a while, try it out live before you install it.

When you install it make sure it's 100% what you want to do, because a lot of people will go into it, hate it, and then just bash it without giving it an actual chance first.

It's easy, it's basic, it's easy to fall back to Windows and honestly it handles most the drivers itself as well. It even updates itself.

Later on you can then consider other distros but for now it would be a good choice to start with.

Linus, who created Linux (blah blah gnu/linux whatever stallman) uses Fedora himself.

I'm planning on dualbooting, so I can still use windows if I need it.

Yes. Install ubuntu 16.04 it and give root a password so you can use su one time to become privileged instead of using sudo every time.
Then install synaptic, playonlinux, unrar and maybe some icon themes + gtk themes if you want.

Ubuntu or fedora. Both works very well for starters.

yes

or mint

Yes! Its great.

yes

Dont use anything else you will get confused

use something without unity

The latest ubuntu ships the gnome now iirc

18.04 will be

why not a debian
ubuntu is buggy piece of ubuntu for kids and grandmoms

Don't the daily 17.10 builds have GNOME?

I am using Mint for three weeks and is pretty good. No regrets. Everything is working out of the box (only used the console to install screenfetch).

>Using a distro based on a distro that is based on another distro
kek

>Linus who created linux
Who cares what the guy who made the kernel did? What does stallman use, the true mastermind behind GNU/linux

This is a quality post.

>give root a password
you can't do that at install time
>so you can use su one time to become privileged instead of using sudo every time.
you can do that with sudo -i

>Beginner distro?
Ubuntu or Mint
>Intermediate distro?
Any fill-in-the-blank-buntu
>Advanced distro?
Build one in Arch

>arch
>advanced
>not intermediate

i'd consider a source based distro like Gentoo advanced. i think at an intermediate level anyone can install and maintain an arch system.

Gentoo. That's where the meme came from. He is the meme, but to him it's real life.

I didn't post "give root a password DURING installation" and su is way more convenient.

Agreed. I was really surprised when I started using Gentoo. I had been using Arch for awhile and I thought I was a super l33t hacker but Gentoo in everyway is a lot more advanced.

>Beginner distro?
Ubuntu
>Intermediate distro?
Ubuntu
>Advanced distro?
Ubuntu