/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex in a few days, wait for it

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DxdhLD
geizhals.de/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-560-4gd5-11267-00-20g-a1615318.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
geizhals.de/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-d5-4g-gv-n105td5-4gd-a1526016.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759
store.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-upgrade-kit
darkcircuit.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/ram-disk-that-works-under-windows-7.html
asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory
pcpartpicker.com/list/DG3TxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/nHWjqk
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-l27q-20-27-ips-lcd-hd-monitor-silver/5855609.p?skuId=5855609&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=440e3c5d-5953-4074-aa08-e97a8c0a4542&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg200307&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
pcpartpicker.com/list/RYwsr7
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PnPBtJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

repostan'

Switched to a non-reference GPU

pcpartpicker.com/list/DxdhLD

If I get a 1070 for a 900p/60hz monitor, how long will it takes for the gpu to be obsolete? 10 years? 15 years?

6 years before games purposely use some new exclusive architecture features to move hardware

brehs, can't decide between

geizhals.de/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-560-4gd5-11267-00-20g-a1615318.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

or

geizhals.de/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-d5-4g-gv-n105td5-4gd-a1526016.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

playing basic blizzard shit. Leaning towards 1050gti but am scared because apparently nvidia became super jewish and started including telemetry in their fucking drivers which I don't really like. Is this true?

Grab the 560.
With the 1050ti's V 560's it comes down to what ever is cheaper. There's barely anything different between the two.

Why that CPU?
i5's are made obsolete.

Best PSU under 50 bucks?

There should be several bronze CORSAIR CX PSU's around that price point.

Because budget, that's already a pretty hefty bit above budget.

>going for a ryzon 1800x for gaming/streaming
>want to buy the best possible mobo for the job
>what do?

also

>buying 1080 TI
>multiple companies offer solutions
What is the best company to buy a GPU from in terms of performance and quality? Having to buy the parts online makes returns a difficult proposition.

Related:
>go with stock cooling solution, or...? (air cooled system, water cooling kind of scares me)

>Best possible mobo for the job
Hunt down a ASRock X370 Taichi

>Because budget
wat?
The R5 1600 is cheaper. $185-$220 compared to $255.

Gigabyte Aorus / MSI Gaming X. These are the best non-overpriced 1080Tis.

>ASRock X370 Taichi
what's special about this one?

>Gigabyte Aorus / MSI Gaming X
How are their factory cooling setups? will I have to buy additional cooling for the gpu to keep it running smooth on hot days? (I live in a southern climate)

i r happy, got a 1600x and this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759

for a $60 off discount/combo.

Remember to purchase a compatible aftermarket cooler.

Well A 1600 comes with a free cooler capable of overclocking and the motherboards are cheep, and do overclock. Apart from the A type boards.
You can even be able to get a 1600X and a cooler for overclocking on that budget.
The 1600X is better binned. Less volts more clock.

You may also want to confer with about your DAC and headphone combination.

Gigabyte support is fucking atrocious.

OK I need to buy 2x16 ram just to set me up for the next couple of years. But the only ones that seem to get noticed by Toms Hardware is the G.Skill Trident Z 3000. I'm concerned about clearance because they're xbawks heug (1.73")

What do?

Yup. Although alot of stuff says "AM4 compatible", is there a more official list or something?

I'm reading alot of reviews that stuff that just have the above listed are kind of shitty to install/put in place properly.

Nah, it's the same for everything. It was always an awkward mount.
store.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-upgrade-kit
That's what you're to expect. Because they don't want to make a new backplate/mount for it. Corsair's AIO coolers do replace the standard mount with a four post screw type.

All in all it's not too hard to use that mount. But it's a hell of a lot easier to do it with the board outside the case.

What would I do with 64gb of ram?

Put a game on ramdisk for memes?

Fuck (You)'s for making me want to unironically do that.
I'm already on RAID0 SSD's. Looks like I'm maxing out system RAM when I got Ryzen. That;s going to be costly.

darkcircuit.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/ram-disk-that-works-under-windows-7.html

I can use regular kitchen tissue and isopropyl alcohol to clean thermal paste off my cpu or does it have to be a cloth?

I mean depending on what game you're playing it can have a big effect.

For example, in Planetside 2 a RAMdisk lets you swap seats in vehicles (Namely the Liberator) instantly, while other people take a second or so for it to register.

This is significant because it means you can use a multi-seat vehicle by yourself and not need a gunner.

Thought about getting a Dell Optiplex 3040 SFF with an i5-6500 and put a low profile 4gb gtx 1050 ti. My question is would it work?

asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

I dun get it. If I get 3200 memory, it will downgrade anyways?

I dry clean off most with any paper towel. the issue comes when you wet the paper and it leaves shit behind.
But then you just wipe it with a dry towel. There's a bit of autism about cleaning off CPU's, like a spek of dust will make an appreciable difference. So long as there's nothing obviously on the CPU, you're fine.

I'm building my first pc as we speak and I have these 2 individually packed, tiny screws. I've utterly forgotten what component they came with. What could they be?

To plug the mount points on a SSD if you don't put them in a rack for aesthetics maybe?

>180w PSU
Probably not, no.

I thought it was a 240w PSU?

That's the MT.
Technical specs says you can put a r7 350X in it which has a TDP of 65w though so maybe it would work.
Kind of cutting it close though

i bought and i5 7600k and a gtx 1070, plus 8gb a ram. i also have 1 ssd, 1 hdd and a dvd writer.

i have 2 options for power supply:
>600w, normal evga power supply, just bought
or
>700w, modular cooler master, 8 years old

which one should i keep, considering that i'd like to push the cpu to 4.5 one day, and slightly oc the gpu maybe?

Are PCI-E ssd drives less robust for heavy usage vs SATA?

>8gb ram

i meant 16

pcpartpicker.com/list/DG3TxY

Just ordered the memory and Mobo, still haven't completely decided on GTX 1070 vs RX 580

Is a 1080 sufficient for 1440p/165hz? Or should I up the ante to a 1080 to (or go lower to a 1070)?
I won't be upgrading until September (so if Vega finally rolls around that is definitely an option), Id just like to plan my budget now.

Also good mobo for oc'ing a 1800x? Leaning toward Asus or MSI's high end offers because of pure a s t h e t i c s but I've heard mixed things about their BIOS and support (Corsshair VI and Xpower Titanium)

budget as much as you can afford.

r8 my build faggots.

I5 2500k running on water, stock clocks because my motherboard doesn't support overclocking and 16 gb of corsair dominator 2400mhz running at 1366mhz because my motherboard doesn't support ram overclocking either.

Ancient

but i paid 500$ (cad) for everything and can run games 4k no problem.

ram I got for free, graphics card I traded my brother for my 1050ti because the 980 was pumping too much heat for his case.
motherboard, psu, cpu and case I got for 300$. paid 50$ for the watercooler.

You could OC your cpu with those specs if you had a 500 watt PSU.
700w and up is only suitable for dual GPU setups.

>can run games 4k no problem.
>with a gtx 980
Maybe at 30fps at med-high.

really? so when I'm playing GTAV at very-high settings at 40-50fps it's actually 30fps at med-high?

It's pretty much on par with a 1060 which is fine for 4k. again, I paid 500$ for everything so I'd say that's decent all things considered.

>I'm playing GTAV at very-high settings at 40-50fps
Maybe if you stare at a wall.
The GTX 980 should get an average FPS under 30fps at very high in that game
The 1080 is almost twice as fast as it and even that is not considered suitable for 4K gaming without compromising on some settings.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nHWjqk

Upgrade for current pc. Want to spend about $700, only need new mobo/cpu/ram. Have 750w psu, ATX case, couple SSDs, few HDs and a 1070.
Does the 7700k OC well? with watercooling? Also have a h100i I used with my 4790k that I could use.

Right now only game at 1080p/60hz. With the 1070 will I be ok for some 4k gaming when I finally get around to getting a 4k tv or monitor in a year or two?

WHERE
IS
*breaths in*
VEGGGAAAAA

Right ascension 18h 36m 56.33635s
Declination +38° 47′ 01.2802″

wew lads, just put in an order for new everything except storage and GPU
I'm EXCITED

>R7 1700X
>RX 570
How future proof is this? I just want to play shadow of war :^(

You'd get a lot more future proof with a 580 8gb. Particularly with VR should headsets finally cost a reasonable amount.
1700X is a bit overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

anyone else feel shitty buying chips with binned cores
litteraly buying manufacturing defect garage

He's been in since launch, nerd.

what does binned mean?

currently on 4670k, but want to get more in to vm's, 4670k does not have vtd, should i buy something with more core's/ht 4790? advice?

for example: when they manufacture r7 with 8 cores there are often defects in some cores; instead of throwing these chips in the garbage they deactivate an even number and sell it as an r5 6 core or 4 core.

They played us like a damn fiddle!

I almost got a 580
And I can't crossfire with my mobo. What do? :^(

Nope, because yield is so high on AMD side of things. Pretty sure r3 was meant to be released much sooner.

Please help me /pcbg/. I've built my first computer today and I can't get it working. I did a test earlier and everything appeared fine, the mobo screen came up right away. Then once everything was in the case, I flip the switch on the PSU and I just get a flashing power button light and flashing GPU. All the fans and everything are still running but nothing is appearing on screen. Is my fucking motherboard seriously bricked in the time between testing it and installing it in the case? What else could be going on?

Unplug and replug everything, loosen and tighten some screws.
You did use the stand off screws right?

whats a stand off screw

heheh you shorted your motherboard

These things
You put them in the case then put your mobo on top of them, it make sit so the motherboard doesn't contact and short on the case.
Just because he doesn't know what they're called doesnt mean he didn't use them. it is slightly concerning though

i just installed an extra 8gb ddr3 ram and it's coming up as dual channel despite me using 4 sticks. is this correct or have i messed something up in the bios? i'm using some msi overclocking utility in my z97 bios which allows me to overclock my 1600 mhz corsair vengeance to 2133. shall i turn this off and just run with the regular xmp 1600?

it's still dual channel dumby

what is quad channel i keep hearing about?

>the mobo screen came up right away. Then once everything was in the case, I flip the switch on the PSU
>I flip the switch on the PSU

Not the 110v/240v selector?

No I didn't that guy isn't me.
I did use my stand off screws

It's HEDT only.

Sorry, what's the difference? I'm talking about the switch on the back of the psu. When it's on everything starts running without pressing the button on the front, there's just nothing on the screen and the front power button is flashing. To be totally specific.

Ok. you've put the wires from the front panel on wrong. the back switch is an isolation switch. The computer so not boot up just because it's in the on position.

Should not boot*

Only the front button should fully power on the PC. Never mind the 110/240v thing.

Would my i5-3350p bottleneck a 980ti hard? I'm thinking about picking up a used one, for around 280-300 dollars.

just unplug everthing from your motherboard and carefully replug it

Just get a 1600 and go with the 580 or the 1070 if you can fit it to your budget.

at 1080p? no

Yes it would but bottlenecking isn't the spooky demon ghost everyone makes it out to be.
If you can get a 980ti for that price it's worth it and you can always upgrade your CPU later.

Guys, really an answer to this: what if CPU's TDP exceeds maximum supported by mobo? Even if it starts, will something happen under heavy load?

The VRMs will either burn out or auto shutdown from overtemperature control

My monitor is 1680x1050.
Alright, thanks. The 3770 is still quite expensive here (around 165 usd second hand), but 1155 is kinda dead. Probably I'll pick up an R5 in the future.

This CPU doesn't have quad channel so trying to put eight sticks is pointless. Only HEDT & Server CPUs have Quad Channel, consumer desktop do not.

>eight
four

Also when I reinstall win10 on this am I going to get shit on by MS and have to buy another copy? I already upgraded from 7 to 10 and had to go thru some bullshit on the phone to get it activated again.
Anyone have any experience upgrading lotsa shit multiple times?

Er, should mention I was essentially building an entire new PC at the time. Don't know if I upgraded to 10 before or after I had gotten my key activated again.

This monitor for $270. Is it a good deal? Can't find any reviews

bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-l27q-20-27-ips-lcd-hd-monitor-silver/5855609.p?skuId=5855609&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=440e3c5d-5953-4074-aa08-e97a8c0a4542&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg200307&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

wish the xg2401 had strobing lads

>strobing lads

Are there no modern GPUs with VGA-support? I really want to use a comfy CRT.

Curious questiong, so i have this pc on stock cooler
>pic related
and i plan to make a r5 1600 build and i was thinking of getting
a cpu cooler and use wraith spire cooler on my old rig
will it fit?
will it help with overclocking it better than its stock cooler?

>will it fit?
no. But I'm sure you could zip-tie it in.

It will not fit, you'd have to make your own retention bracket, or use zipties or the likes.

power phases are fun.
to run cooler for longer

pcpartpicker.com/list/RYwsr7

Thoughts? Improvements?

Still need a case, but I'm never sure which one to get.

Anything wrong with this or improvements to be made without increasing price too much?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PnPBtJ