Did you know most of the SYS_FANS are actually voltage controlled?

Why the fuck some motherboard manufactuers put a 4 pin connector, when the fucking fan is voltage controlled.

Fucking assholes

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well yeah but how are you gonna voltage controle it without voltage controller?

You can underpower it,yes but result will run it at one speed,that may not be always adequate to current temperatures.

Why put a 4 pin, when a 3 pin would be enough to work?

You expect 4 pin = PWM.

4pin connector offer more stable voltages ®4pin™
the way it is ment to be spin.

Now seriously,it is because of gaymer RGB bullcrap

>Doesn't say PWM on the box
>Expects it to be PWM

Caveat emptor

what the fuck I hate motherboard manufacturers now

on my board both the chassis fan and cpu fan headers are controlled by cpu temp.

What gives on my motherboard i can hook a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin slot no problem... there are even a piece of plastic helping me guide it in.

Why do you want PWM noise? Voltage control is better.

If PWM fans are noisy then there's something wrong with your fans or your mobo. Also the voltage control on your mobo uses PWM:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

>what is Phanteks PWM fan hub?

Uses a PWM signal to control 3pin fans. Have one and it works nicely. It's even Sata powered to host a shitton of fans, even with splitters

PWM fans tend to make a ticking noise at low speeds

I don't see what's so good about PWM. In practice I notice I can get a bit lower speeds with it, but even with voltage control I can go down to around 450 rpm which is low enough.

Bought a phantek case a couple months back and this thing is much nicer to deal with

Heh you can buy it on its own anyway

>tend to
Consider buying good products. Not even my affordable arctic fans make noise.

Why PWM?
Because some fans need more volt to start.
PWM does give the right volt, but uses full voltage then goes to pulsing once the fan has started.
Kinda like a starter for an engine.

>t. mr i have no idea how brushless motors work

Usually only young people and kids especially can hear the PWM noise.

This guy is kindda right. Some fans do indeed emit that annoying clicking noise, while others do not. 'Premium' fans are less likely to click but not completely free. Even Noctua which everyone praises had problems with clicking in the past. My cheap Arctic fan does not click, my much more expensive Akasa does click while my three Noctuas are click-free as well.

That`s why all fans go full blast once you start your computer.

I still haven`t heard a single convincing argument why a 4 pin pwm is better than a regular 3 pin fan.

Already stated it in the comment you replied to.
>PWM does give the right volt, but uses full voltage then goes to pulsing once the fan has started.
>once the fan has started.
>the fan has started.
>the fan
Not PC started.

Pulse generators are way cheaper for motherboar manufacturers than real analogue voltage controls.
Shit low end garbage only supports pwm control, only decent motherboards support control of 3pn fans for more than just CPU.

I have 3pin fans and my motherboard does that full blast startup for a second and then lowers voltage to my silent preset. Even my old motherboard from 2007 could do that.

>motherboard does that full blast startup
>motherboard
Again, your retardation is astonishing.

How hard is it to understand it's not about PC startup, it's about having a fan that can start properly even at low RPM due to the PWM.

Is this Sup Forums?

pwm allows more granularity and uses less power.

this. its also great for led fans as the led's get a constant 12v's. while undervolting regular voltage fans woud cause the brightness of the leds to dim since... well voltage is being reduced. pwm is just flatout better than voltage.

Hijacking this thread to ask a question and see if anyone can help me.

I have three fans in my case, one that came with it and two I bought, they are Corsair AF120. They are supposed to be quiet but they run at full speed, I can't control their speed because they are 3-pin. My cheap mother only has two fan connectors, the CPU fan and the SAYS fan.

I bought a cable to use my three fans, daisy-chain like. I read in the comment section of the product that if i want to control my fans at least one of those daisy-chained has to be 4 pins. Is this true? Can Sup Forums help me? I mean yeah my PC runs cool but it's to much fucking noise.

Thanks.

Get a fan controller and attach those fans to it and the fan controller to the CPU fan pins on the motherboard.

>it's a "motherboard only has fan control on one of its case fan headers" episode

You're going to need a fan controller, most headers are only 1a making it safe for about 2 fans. You could run a splitter and ust the 2 intake off sys fan and run the rear fan from the cpu-header if you have a single fan hsf.