Has Torvalds gone too far?

>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Foundation#Funding
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

REEEEEEEEEEE
TRAITOR TRAITOR TRAITOR REEEEEEEEEEE GTFO REEEWEEEEEEE

>Implying he's not just trying to unravel MS from the inside out

>mfw

rms BTFO

Linus just wants whatever makes sheckles flow into his "Linux Foundation".

That's why he calls the GNU Operating System "Linux", gotta get companies to donate money to him.

>All those pajeets

hahahahah I knew it. If your community / project is failing, it's because leadership doesnt care.
EVERY TYME

the reason why linux never took off is because people like Linus literally just dont give a shit, they are just as happy for Linux to be a subcomponent of Windows than for it to be standalone. LITERALLY

>hatred
nice meme

its just natural not wanting to use software that is literally malware and spies on you

true story en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Foundation#Funding

torvalds doesn't have a "leader" role in our community, even when his shitty kernel goes full botnet, the community will just fork it

>Linux to be a subcomponent of Windows
What the fuck are you talking about?

You may not like it, but that's what peak performance looks like.

you need to go back

this is because he doesnt want to be which is his biggest crime. He could have easily made a distro himself with minimal involvement and made some decisions and made it the nr. 1 distro.
but he just doesnt care about defeating Microsoft. He just wants to manage his software project called 'linux kernel' and that's it.

Communists btfo

>Microsoft hatred is a disease
No, it's a symptom.
Microsoft is the disease.
Lrn2pathology fgt pls

I don't know how anybody but him could maintain it, though. The source is a fucking mess of preprocessor abuse and doesn't make much sense if you look at single components.

you need to poo in the loo

He's not wrong. FOSS extremism is a problem. He's also not wrong about Microsoft. You can, rightfully, bitch and moan about the privacy invasion and forced updates in Windows, but what many people don't seem to realize is that people who complain about that sort of thing are /not/ the target demographic for Windows. That kind of heavy-handed control is necessary to get most Windows users to patch glaring vulnerabilities, or solve compatibility issues, or any number of essential functions. GNU/Linux users don't have this problem; they don't sit on unupdated Debian Sarge like many Windows users sit on Windows XP.

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

>valuing your fucking freedom and privacy
>hatred and exclusion

when did you realise torvalds was a disgusting cuck?

That's what Google did to Linux and Firefox

>All this hate

Wow, it's like you hate success.

t. pajeet

POO

Linus has betrayed us! D:

W T F

yep, if you know the deal then you would actually appreciate Windows 10S. Windows apps are certified to be virus free. That's better than anything on other OS

>certified to be virus free

>windows apps
>virus free
do you actually install that fucking bloatware

cerificated by microsoft?

>free software is a problem

>Strawman

He did not write that.

He's perfectly right, though. The whole free software movement is inherently reactionary, which isn't to say that that's bad, but to be unsympathetic to the people who would prefer the more sanitary, unpolitical term "open-sourced" over free (as in freedom) would be at least kind of ignorant. I think a lot of newbies like to think of computer platforms as this triangle--(GNU) Linux, Microsoft Windows, MacOS--never mind the fact that things are way more complicated and diverse than that in the modern world of computer operating systems, what with BSD images, Haiku, Redox, etc. ...; so many Linux "Advocates" are always so quick to point out that "Linux is better than Windows!" and "Linux doesn't get viruses" and other stuff; well, it would be insulting for me to deny these things, which are, on more occasions than not, I think we can all agree, fairly true, but I very much disagree with their sentiment.

My question is, does it really matter? In my opinion, it's incredibly toxic to see free software in terms of their alternatives. I mean, yes, GNU/Linux is freer than Microsoft Windows, and it's, in many respects, better than Microsoft Windows, as evidenced by its prevalence in pretty much every market except the desktop and mobile phones, but that's like comparing your intelligence to that weird kid down the street who lives on saltines, drinks glue, and probably has ADHD. Why are you even competing? Do you think Microsoft is going to suffocate the market somehow? Like they weren't already? Linux isn't CP/M or Haiku. It's free software. Now that it's feasible to have a free(-ish) mobile phone, free desktop, free bios, and even a free router, we'll always have that--regardless if present-day manufacturers go away.

Yeah, because he's autistic

I remember when everyone in the free software world was sucking Google's dick. They were the heroes of the free software world, and we all just turned a blind eye to the veritable tivo-tization of Linux, because they were the Good Goys, and they were gonna take down the evil Microsoft monopoly! Where are we now? The Google new mobile operating license is awfully friendly towards Berkeley-style licensing. Let's not even talk about Apache v.2. How do you like that, huh?

Google was never good. It was just that reactionary mindset that kept us from looking for an alternative.

What is he talking about, did Microsoft released the source code of Windows or something, Microsoft has many "sins" for the last 20 years and it's enough to hate it, a world without Microsoft hatred would be a disease.

eee

The actual problem of the freedom extremists is a philosophical one. Refusing to endorse systems that do not restrict access to non-free software is a good indicator for that. What does it tell us? In the core of their current ideology, freedom extremists do not believe in the superiority of free software. They feel compelled to protect free software environments from nonfree software. In other words, they restrict your freedom, by not allowing you to choose free software over nonfree. In their eyes, free software cannot win the competition on its own. They have to protect you, the user, from the temptation of nonfree software.

To the FSF, free software is inferior to nonfree software.

This is like hatred with everything. Microsoft, Google, Apple and whatever. We know they're shady companies and they shouldn't get exactly praised, but most people hate them without knowing why. They even use their products frequently without considering what they're doing.

Gahnoo fag BTFO

Ask yourself this: What's Microsoft's end game vs free software's end game? One wants to remove your freedom and control what you can do the other lets you do what you want and how you want it.

>rms
>linux user

Every time a Gahnoo fag gets BTFO another malware/espionage/adware company will wildly rape your ass.

Raising ethical issues such as freedom, talking about responsibilities as well as convenience, is asking people to think about things they might prefer to ignore, such as whether their conduct is ethical. This can trigger discomfort, and some people may simply close their minds to it.

we all know linux is soon dead

>sudo screenfetch

True tho

The whole interjection copypasta thing makes sense but it misses something important: the name of something is just an arbitrary word. Certain sorts of names are more informative but with something like an OS, you don't care if the name is descriptive but if it is catchy. GNU sounds like some weirdo shit. Linux sounds at least like maybe something interesting and cool.

This, "windows" is dumb too. We should refer to it as NT, it sounds much more interesting and cooler.

>Microsoft/NT

>GNU/Apple

microsoft is a company, not an os, and not like GNU/Linux a combination of two incomplete systems, so saying NT is already enough!

No Richard.

Linux

actually the kernel is named WINNT and the above layer WIN32

WIN32/WINNT

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another locked down component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the government.

Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA.

There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” versions are really versions of NSA/Windows.

Can someone please, for the love of God, post that infographic that was mentioned in the description of that video?

A pretty sane stance, what's your problem?

If that was true, he wouldn't fuck off nVidia and woudln't allow sexism and homophoby among kernel developers.

this?

I love you

Linux is the OS, go eat your foot Stallman

If you don't like Linus you're more than welcome to start using GNU TURD or whatever the fuck it is.

Why. The good thing about free software is, when someone starts flipping shits, you can just fork it.

>implying these mouth breathing Linus haters could fork the kernel

These morons can barely fork food in to their own gaping wide mouths lmfao.

Retard.

well, looks right

unix!
unix!
unix!

GNU devs are never going to realize this and will never stop naming everything with GNU as some form of prefix.
At this point people just look at some piece of software named gnusomething and imagine a unwashed, bearded, poorly dressed fat guy in the back of their heads. Their will have their projects prosper if they don't stop their retarded naming practices and force Stallman into getting a haircut and dressing properly.

>will never have

macos is what happens when you don't gpl your code