GTK or Qt?

GTK or Qt?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tkinter.

GTK is trash but looks better on most Linux themes, Qt is 1000 times better but looks slightly worse. Pick your poison.

GTK look like ass if it's not on linux, almost default swing theme tier bad.
Qt is packed with features and look alright but not completely, it's even more true with Qt quick. It's also a huge pain to compile(dunno about gtk).

I personally use and enjoy Qt.

gtk if c,
qt if c++

most of what i use is still gtk2

Windows 10

/thread

I prefer qt but it seems all qt orientated programs are slow bloated unpolished pieces of shit

sums it up

Embarcadero RAD Studio fgt

Qt. I mean, even Linus had his personal project rewritten from GTK to Qt: github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface , so much for C++ hate.

>post patched gtk2
>doesn't post qt5+kde

patched gtk2 doesn't require/only work on kde applications
kde is effectively it's own thing

>b-but muh thumbnails in filepicker

the funny part is i don't even use thumbnails in my picker

the only times i'm picking pictures is either;
- reaction image posting, which are organized well enough that single previews is fine
- picking one of the newest in a folder, which is also fine to see one at a time
if anything, thumbnailing everything just slows things down as it needs to access lots of files i'm not even looking at

Both are shit but nothing can be as shit as GTK.

TK and motif are better.

How do I get thumbnails in Gentoo?

Qt looks better on KDE while GTK looks like crap on it.
That being said, nobody uses KDE.

One of the problems with qt is that it needs C++ while one of the problems with gtk is that it needs shitty stuff like glib and uses a shitty ad-hoc OOP system.

apply ahodesuka's gtk2/glib2 patches

>2040
>We have bases on the moon, quantum computer and have met intelligent alien life
>The gtk filepicker STILL doesn't support thumbnails.

>that image

Xaw

KDE has another very important feature in their file dialog.
They have a filter so you can remove files from the view.
A good example of this is in Kate vs qtcreator.
Qtcreator uses qt (obviously) and they have the unusable dropdown with options (and you have to give the list of options when creating the file dialog), where KDE has a filter where the user can just type whatever they want.

Qt looks native on any platform.
C++ is better than C for desktop applications and any programmer should be able to use both.
Qt is easier to write as the GUI and the application is easy to separate.
Often, I make a function and get that up and running first, then I just tie it together in the GUI.
Gtk without a theme is horrendous though and you don't want to bring a theme with your application.

honestly if you need cross platform and your aren't doing an multimedia type application like a game or an audio plugin, then just make a fucking website.

Unrelated question, but why is it toolkits even provide a file picker?
I get that if you have a single application, you want it to be linked with the main application, but since every system uses more than one application, why not just send a dbus message or something and open a new instance of the systems file dialog?
That way, you have system wide config for file pickers, same features regardless of application and stuff like that.
You only need to launch it with a starting directory and it only needs to return the selected files.
Why is this not a thing?

haha. no

no idea, it should be like that

An offline, compiled application will always be better than a webapp.
Writing something in C++ and Qt is just as easy as writing in JS and the million google dependencies people throw in without thinking.

writing yes, deploying and supporting not so much

>C++ is better than C for desktop applications
C++ is worse than C for everything.

>Qt is easier to write as the GUI and the application is easy to separate.
Qt is easier to write but this is not the only reason, just the fact that gtk uses their own shitty oop system is enough.

windows forms

qt looks like WIndows 98 by default

you are like a little baby
watch this

Retard pls.
You are owner of your company. A client wants you to provide a gui interface for the service you provide. Would you hire a C developer who might not be available or C++ QT beta cuck developer?
Admit it, normalization of developers is imminent.

Both are trash. Just use FLTK.

I'll hire a bunch of Pajeets to write GUI in Electron

>gui interface
Retard pls

>You are owner of your company. A client wants you
I would hire an army of indians.

Indians write cheap, shit but fast code, customers don't care about code, they care about fast.

Indians win everytime.

>Qt is 1000 times better but looks slightly worse

the problem is not qt, is noone making good themes for it because nobody uses kde compared to gtk DEs.