/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Cinnamon
gamingonlinux.com/articles/steamos-updated-valve-drops-amdgpu-pro-for-mesa.9712
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics)
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was about to make this, thanks user.

How do i fix my third mouse button (scroll wheel click) so that when i click it i get free scroll or whatever its called.

how do i add my windows install to the initial choices in grub. Do i need to edit the actual install drive because it needs to be able to work without grub i think.

Current set up for clarification
1 HDD with Debian
1 SSD with windows 8

GIMP sucks for tablet input jesus, I'd be better off using WinE with photoshop cs3

Friendly reminder that GNU/Linux on desktop is trash and will remain trash forever.

itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

about:config
general.autoScroll true

>Posting that meme website
You're like the guy who posts that anti-BSD troll website in every BSD general.

Cool

thanks, but what about in the system? is it possible for the file explorer

@@60580960
i hate to give you a you so i wont, but wow gnnu linux has over 9000 games??

wtf I hate the GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel now

what's the address of that website?

kek

My ISP blocked an IP that I connect to often. How do I add a system-wide proxy for it?

I have a SOCKS 5 proxy running, I guess I want to redirect all the traffic through that.

Yes but it still does miss a lot of great games. Many games are not available despite these being made with a cross-platform engine. The devs just don't care about gnu+linux.

And your point is...

Is there no choice but Unity if I want a decent HiDPI support? Literally every other DE is crap in that regard, MATE and XFCE only scale text and not UI elements, GNOME and Cinnamon can only be scaled by integer numbers (ie. 2, I need like 1.4-1.6).
KDE is somewhat decent in terms of scaling, but KDE is too buggy for me.

Modern western games are trash and eastern games work fine in wine or in a VM.

probably because they end up using dx11 or something like that? Ive used cry unreal and unity for developement so i know they all run fine on linux. Its a sad thing that only indies give a shit. Its all indie games making up that 9500 anyway, isnt it?

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make game devs care about GNU/Linux:

ยท Stop using Windows.

A quick and dirty method:

1. go to /etc/grub.d
2. rename the os-proper script link so it will be above the linux one

examples:
before
10-header
20-debian-header
30-linux
40-os-proper

after
10-header
20-debian-header
25-os-prober
30-linux

reminds me at the tutorial on how to make hardware manufracters deliver free drivers

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Cinnamon
i use cinnamon at 2k, so not 4k and it looks fine

Exactly.

thoughts on systemd?

So it has more granular control now? It didn't last time I checked.

That... linux has failed? Do you guys still believe in the "year of linux desktop"?

Please, don't say that, we had great game these last years. Even the amateur game development scene is avoiding linux like plague.

Yes, mostly amateurs.

I am not using windows but i enrage to not be able to play great games like GTA5

The last thing that saddened me: cemu is windows only (and closed source).

nier?

slow but slow, you can see even valve wanted a push away from windows, but the issue still remains compatability with windows programs that dont run under wine and the general lack of drm on gnu/linux

your description of quick and dirty worries me, but is it fine with no reprocussions?

>linux has failed
>has
this bait is to fucking thick

I believe in the year of the wayland desktop.

(((Linux))) and (((free software))) is just (((communist))) trash that wants everyone to work for free.

>slow but slow, you can see even valve wanted a push away from windows, but the issue still remains compatability with windows programs that dont run under wine and the general lack of drm on gnu/linux

Did you see that Valve dropped amd for mesa?

gamingonlinux.com/articles/steamos-updated-valve-drops-amdgpu-pro-for-mesa.9712

>your description of quick and dirty worries me, but is it fine with no reprocussions?

Yes. I consider this dirty because 1. there is a grub-setdefault command which is however not convenient to use 2. updating grub/os-prober/base OS layout packages might either revert the order or duplicate entries.

You can revert the naming order back to the original, run update-grub2 (or grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg) and everything is back as it was before.

How has installing Linux changed your work flow? Has it improved it? I am considering to install Arch since i have before just to test it out, however this time i am considering to go balls deep.

Wow, (((free software))) works so well valve is dropping it.

install gentoo, don't be a pussy

You are using the meme incorrectly. Software can't be jewish.

It's jewish when promoted by a jew and comes with a jewish ideology.

>Software can't be jewish
...yet. Give it a couple more decades of AI research.

In 2012, Zed Shaw predicated that the all the big corporations like Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Oracle, ... will corrupt the free software movement by embracing it widely as a way to enslave programmers. For them, free software does mean free pulling requests where the programmer is paid only with gratifications, victories in ego wars, and some other kinds of shit. Time proven him right.

Bump for please help me

>That... linux has failed? Do you guys still believe in the "year of linux desktop"?
i was with you on most of your other points but linux hasnt failed. only the linux desktop has, and even then its "failure" has about 60 million + users over its distros. The issue is most arent gamers, and office penetration is low

Every day we stray further from god

what's the point of this "failed" discussion?

>they create a jewish AI
>they let is loose on the internet to learn
>2 days later it goes 14/88

Crossposting from because two threads is better than one:

Which package/plugin should I install? I've searched "video/x-ms-asf" in package manager in both description and names, found nothing

Having problems with LXDE. When I boot up my machine, the lxpanel is running but it's showing up. I have manually restart it to make it work. Lxpanel is the quite windows like bar in the bottom on the screen.

Is there any experts or experienced senpaitachi with LXDE and it's DE soft who knows about this issue.

>tfw virt-manager lags
back to aqemu I go.. and still no way to make networking work, help

Do you have all the codecs installed? Like gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-ugly (prefixes may differ in your distro)

You need to set up network bridging.

Use your search engine of choice to search for "qemu network bridge" for a good selection of tutorials/howtos.

I thought you WEREN'T supposed to install all of the gstreamer packages since they conflict with each other and break shit

will try, thanks a lot

No idea where you heard that. I've always installed all of them and never had a codec problem.
Try it, what's the worst that could happen?

>no decent video editors for linux

none that I have tried so far look or run like pic related

GNU/Linux*

There are like 10 nice editors, theres also Blender. Use your search engine.

im more worried about image editors, gimp is gimped desu

Not that user, but there really aren't 10, especially if user wants an Avid replacement. Most are way too basic.
There's really only Blender, but it's a different paradigm so nobody even considers it.

psh, nothin personnel kid

there are nice editors but there are none that really work like avid does

are sjw's still trying to change the name because they think a bdsm term is homophobic?

GIMP is great. Learn to use it.

there's davinci resolve but i've never had any success in installing it on any linux OS, and i've heard that the linux version requires a PCI card from blackmagic in order to get sound

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Why is it called GIMP? Because you're gimping yourself by using it.

try SourceMage

why does he wear a hat

aqemu generates a line of text at the bottom, that is the qemu command it passes, you may want to check what it says

that depends on the hardware/os involved
need specs

because he is a wizard

wtf

nice try nsa

no that's from harry potter

poetter

Because he's a big guy

so he can tip

Freedom

Took 20 minutes to iron out the minor kinks, but it installed successfully through AUR.
Arch is the real masterrace.

What now?

Can I meme with the rest of them now?

congrats, now install sourcemage

I want to but I don't have the patience for source based distros.

fair enough

Is there a greasemonkey script to give me more (you)s for replies?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics)

>Mesa is an open-source implementation of the OpenGL, Vulkan and other specifications

K

Lightworks
Shotcut
Avid (yes, avid)

You're welcome.

What is good music creation studio software for GNU/Linux that's like garageband?

lwks

get the fuck out

LOTS 'O LOYELTY FOR A HIRED BURGLAR

I always used the integrated Radeon graphics and never had a problem with radeon driver. I gonna to buy a dedicated GPU because I have todo some medium editing and light Blender stuff. My question is, which between Nvidia and AMD has the best closed drivers for Linux? Considering performance and stability.

Also what do you prefer, the RX 560 or the GTX 1050?

It's generally accepted that nVidia has the better closed source drivers, and AMD has the best open source drivers. AMD open source is catching up to their proprietary. nVidia open source is barely usable for anything other than 2D, and even then it is generally not recommended.

fedora with a razer cybort R.A.T 777 quickshot csgo edition

And how stable are the closed drivers? I mean what are the chances that xorg and mesa versions breaks the drivers? And how is the Wayland behavior with open and closed drivers on both GPU's?

I am using ArchLinux.

>Wayland
You can literally forget about Wayland for a few years

What's .run file?
Is it standalone executable, or package installation file?
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

this, don't fall for the trap guys

It's a bash script

man file

Reasking, but how do i fix this? the drive boots fine under windows and doing error checks on it shows its fine. Ive tried several of the fixes listed but they havent worked. When i use fdisk -l i get

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 63 1953523119 1953523057 931.5G 42 SFS

so we can see that the thing at the beginning is fucked, because im pretty sure its meant to be "boot start 2048" right? and clearly the file type is wrong. So even after i fix it im also wondering why windows even boots it if its stuffed, and why windows doesnt recognise the signature or whatever is stuffed.

>Error mounting /dev/sdbX
>fdisk shows /dev/sdaX
??