/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex in a few days, wait for it

Other urls found in this thread:

asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0
pcpartpicker.com/list/B7hQvV
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NsNvQV
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LPxwJV
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DrHczM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

So I can ONLY use the 3200 memory listed for this board? I can't buy something else off of newegg? Will there be later bios updates?

Is updating bios safe?

Is there any point to buy 16gb ram for a G4560 build?

Is it POSSIBLE to boot *Linux from NVMe? Grub moans at me as far as I can tell but who needs Grub?

Ignore AMD shills.
Do not reply to AMD posters.
Get an i5

That's a great argument you have right there.

>I can't buy something else off of newegg
You could and it could maybe work, but it could also not work. I wouldn't recommend it unless someone has tried it beforehand.
Yes, there may be further bios updates making more ram kits compatible.
Yes, updating bios is safe, but 1. don't do it from windows and 2. don't use a defective-but-still-somewhat-works storage. And do not turn off your PC during the update.

Are they really selling OEM licences on ebay? I thought you couldn't reuse it on a different computer?

Guess they do, same as the stores on allkeyshop.
And no, you can't reuse OEM key on a different computer, but these are from like chinese manufacturers selling OEM keys.

Is getting the 1700 over the 1600 worth it, value wise, if I'm going to use my PC for Ableton/Lightroom/Premiere/some Photoshop as well as some gaymen?

i dunno dude but 1700 is a bigger number than 1600 ;~]

>use gigabyte m6800 since October
>have mouse button 4 set to push to talk
>button is now loose
I'd be mad if it wasn't $15 but it's still trash I don't recommend

Yes, for so many producivity it is definitely worth it

Hello /pcbg/, what's a good 120 gb SSD that isn't the Samsung 850 EVO? I've looked at a few ADATAs, Crucials, Transcends and Toshibas, but they all mostly seem to have write speeds in the 300 mb/s in the 120 gb models, where they have 500-ish on 250 and up. Might this be not a big deal, though?

Sandisk SSD Plus

Sorry for another question:

Can I see what a bios update actually does? Not seeing a patch notes or whatever anywhere.

There's usually a very short description but nothing more than that.

>Can I see what a bios update actually does?
IIRC, he walks you through it here.
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0

I feel like a retard for buying 2400mhz ram for my r5 1600. Performance is so much better with better ram

You're not gonna see that performance improvement with a GPU bottleneck.

Does the 1600 bottleneck a 1070?

The reason ram speed matters so much with Ryzen is the 2 CCX assemblies. Inbetween the 2 CCX assemblies (each containing half the cores) is the infiniti fabric that communicates between both CCX's. The Infiniti Fabric runs at whatever speed the ram is. This is why Ryzen reacts so well to fast ram.

850 evo is gonna cost the same as a 250gb anyway.

No it doesn't.

what PCIe throughput do we have right now? Is it 4.0?

Then how would I not see that performance due to a bottleneck

why is 2666 memory so rare? I see things like 2400, 3000, and 3200 much more common but barely any 2666

Is a G4560 alright to use with an rx 570?

If your R5 1600 doesn't bottleneck your GTX 1070, it means the GTX 1070 can be used to i's maximum. If your GPU is already at 100%, and it will, having a faster CPU will not change anything.

>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
What exactly is CUDA and why would I want it?

Yes.

>CUDA stands for the "Compute Unified Device Architecture", which is a free software platform provided by NVIDIA. It enables users to control GPUs by writing programs akin to C++. All CUDA softwares can be downloaded from CUDA Zone.

If I get a 3000mhz ram kit that isn't on my mobo's QVL, because no 3000 kits are, will it run at 29xx?

Since Rx 570/580 are all sold out and I'd have to wait 3/4 weeks to get one I decided to get 1060 6Gb. Which is the best one? I've been thinking about getting either MSI Gtx 1060 6Gb Armor OCV1 or MSI Gtx 1060 6Gb Gaming X. I don't have FreeSync/G-Sync monitor and don't plan getting one. I'm mostly going to use this build for playing video games at 1080p resolution and 60 fps.

pcpartpicker.com/list/B7hQvV

Why there is nothing about i5-7600k in the OP's post. I plan on getting it with GTX 1070, need some info on it.

ryzen 1600 or 1600x instead. I5 is not worth it since they are priced similarily.

Currently using an i5-4690 and a 980. I primarily use it to game, but also use some light photoshop, record and edit basic videos with shadow play, watch anime on mpc. I try to maintain 1080p 60fps, but I may shoot for 144hz later on down the line. Sometimes the CPU is getting close to maxing out and stuttering on recent games like Rainbow Six siege or others.

My main hard drive suddenly died and since I have to get a new one and reinstall an OS, I wanted to go ahead and upgrade. I was thinking of getting an i5-7600k and over clocking it. Would this help? I see people recommending 7700k but it seems like it wouldn't give me a good increase in performance for what I do vs the price. I used amd on some of my first builds like 10 years ago and I wasn't a big fan, but apparently Ryzen is a huge step forward in quality?

Dependinng on desnity and platform the only thing for certain is it will run at either 2133mhz/2400mhz for Intel and 2666mhz/2400mhz/2133mhz for Ryzen. FYI anything over 2400mhz for Intel and 2666mhz for ryzen is technically overclocking.

The best upgrade ypu can do right now is to get an AMD Ryzen 5 1600. 6 cores, 12 threads, so it'll do your editing better, and if you overclock it on a B350 or X370 motherboard, performance is similar to a 7700k.
Intel's i5 processors really are not worth it since Ryzen came out and disrupted the market.

I have 2400mhz now, but all this talk about how much better performance I can get on higher speeds has me reconsidering

generally, you want 2666 or higher on Ryzen. Memory speed may not make a difference on Intel, but it makes a huge difference on Ryzen since it speeds up how fast the 2 CCX's in the chip can communicate.

Well its one of those things, the QVL is mostly just a way of saying "yeah, this XMP profile just werks™ on this mobo". Given XMP is an Intel thing its why outside of a few kits people are doing some hand tuning to get higher speeds on ryzen right now. Naturally more BIOS updates are supporting more kits as time goes on.

In theory getting fast RAM to work on any platform is manually inputting the timings and tweaking the voltage to suit - the exact scenario XMP was created to avoid since that might as well be magic to most end users. All those people getting blistering ram on ryzen are not only using very expensive kits they are generally manually inputting the previously mentioned values.

I was stupid and let ram compatibility issues scare me off of buying higher clocked ram.
Maybe I can overclock this kit to 2666....

Some productivity applications use it to speed things up.
But it's not that much faster than OpenCL (which is what AMD uses), though.

meh. just deal with it for now. It works, and that's all that matters. Just keep up on the bios updates and order faster ram at some point when prices come down. Can't blame you for getting 2400 right now with prices as they are for ram.

Will a 1600 bottleneck a 1080? I don't think so from research but I'm new to PC building so looking for an experienced opinion

If you have to ask what CUDA is you don't need to care. Same sort of deal with asking about ECC.

Because it's not a worth CPU at all compared to the R5 1600
It hit the same FPS but has big FPS drops and is constantly at a much, much higher usage
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m

For a very high resolution framerate it might, but anything else and it won't.

What RAM should I pair with a Ryzen 1600? I've heard of mobo RAM over clock issues and I'm confused as fuck...

yah ram compat issues and price kinda kept my finger off that trigger.
I will probably just get the 3200 version of the corsair vengeance kit I have now. It's on the QVL so it should at least it 2993 or whatever

One that is on the QVL.

get a 2x4gb kit of 2666 mhz or higher speed ram. Ryzen loves fast ram

Are these acceptable temperatures for playing ds3 at 60fps?

That's a very hot GPU. When did you buy it? Consider cleaning it completely, as in disassembling it & changing thermal paste, and removing all the dust beforehand.

Only stuff that seems dedicated to Ryzen is G skill's Flare X and Fortis stuff.

Flare X stuff is expensive as fuck at 3200, and Fortis is alot more reasonable but only goes to 2400.

Fooking ryzen and its ram compatibility issues.

I-I just bought it, pls don't scare me
Is that temp really high??

Corsair Vengance is popular and works with Ryzen

it is but won't always run at rated speeds.

so keep up with the Bios updates

>get my hands on four old lenovo towers
>get 500GB hard disks for two of them
>fucking around with sysrescuecd so I can partition one of the drives
>won't show up in file manager when I get it
>reboot cause I'm a newbie and figure it'll help apply the changes
>sysrescue now refuses to boot from the live usb
>Ijustwantgentoo.feels
Pic related

>wanting to ruin your mobo by flashing bios

wut

It is important to note that if you are at 1080p 60hz the benefits will be much less visible

Get the fuck out of here, that's completely normal GPU temps. max temps are like 85C or 95C.

>b-b-but I saw youtuber with lower temps :(((((

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NsNvQV

This is the build I have put together today, assembly went along fine without any issue and it turned on first try no problem. I turned it off, turned it back on with a screen and keyboard attached and I'm getting no video signal.

Anyone know what the issue could be? The GPU fan is running so I at least know it's getting power.

Sure, that's why my 280w R9 280 heats less in stress tests

What a badass xDDDDDD

Fucking kill yourself, kid.

This is not Sup Forums, take your shitposting elsewhere.

I was the guy earlier asking about updating for bios.

I would love to do it, but does it even give me more options with ram? I have no idea because I have no idea what the bios update does.

Any tips on how to improve this without adding to the cost?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LPxwJV

Is there any point to take 2400 RAM over 2133 for G4560?

on another computer, you download the bios update from the motherboard manufacturers website, and put the file on a USB flash drive. Then plug it into the computer you built, turn it on and keep pressing delete to get into the Bios. There should be an option there to update the bios with the file on the USB stick. Updating the bios will give you more options for ram and such, but you need the ram and processor installed to access the bios anyways. Apparently a BIG update from AMD on ram compatibility was already put into the hands of the motherboard manufacturers so they just have to incorporate it into their bios updates.

Looks great to me. Nothing I can really think of to change at the moment It's actually very similar to the build I'll be doing.

Installing it is not the issue, its more about what the hell the update does. Does it give me a ton more options with ram? If so, WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS?!

Sorry know you''re helping me but I want to know exactly what the update for my motherboard does and I don't see it anywhere on the site.

Is this a good custom curve for the 1060?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DrHczM

What sort of CPU would be good for this, have roughly 100 pound to spend on it.

g4560, anything else is overpriced or overbudget.

It's about right. I've got mine 98% at 50c. Overclocked to 2070Mhz.
You should overclock it. YouTube it. It's literally a few slider bars.

Cheers

what gpu do i need to max dota 2 and get high fps (300+) in csgo?

Nevermind I just forgot to power in the CPU. I misread part of the mono manual and thought that was just a port for some GPU thing I'm not using.

Tomshardware forum is fucking right that is an easy beginner mistake.

How much am I kicking myself in the nuts by going 2400 instead of 2666? Or even 3200?

>98% at 50c
Isn't that gonna break the fans?

Why buy 1050Ti/RX460 when you can get R9 280x for less?

Who else /patientPCbuilder/ here? Was running an old Yorkfield/7850 setup until this week when I got a X58 setup off a friend for free.

Power consumption/efficiency, which in turn makes it possible to save a bit on the PSU. Warranty.

Nope. Well shorten their lifespan, yes. But not that much before I'd have to upgrade.
Go 90% or what ever. Just note if they sound out of balance. Instead of hearing air, you hear loud mechanical noise, if you do back them down till it goes away.

Also I'm Aussi, so temps are high here.
Pic related. My curve.

Regarding ryzen octacores and coolers, run of the mill coolers like gammax 400 are fine if you have a airy case and dont mind some CPU fan noise.

the reason it wasnt for me is because I want a quiet and dust proof pc.

Why up just the power and not the clocks?

You can buy a 500W Bronze PSU for less than $50 though

RX 560 with G4560
honestly you could even use the G4560 iGPU but if you have the money a 4GB 560 is nice to have if you ever decide to play anything else

I have a friend for whom I assemble a top tier PC every few years or so and in turn I buy his old rig for a decent price. It's a good arrangement, although recently I find that even his old stuff is somewhat overpowered for my needs.

If using a Ryzen CPU, it might be worth it depending on the price. With Intel it doesn't seem to really matter. Also dependent on your use case of course.

They are. The program isn't that responsive when it first boots.
Pic from a while ago.

And a 300 W PSU for cheaper still. I myself would also go for the 280X though, running a 280 at the moment actually. Buying used just isn't an option for some people.

I cant even find those here.

you won't see much of a difference between 2400 and 2666 but you would between 2400 and 3000/3200. if you have a mid-range GPU it doesn't really matter much at 1080p for games

Which motherboard to pair with the ryzen 1600?

MSI Mortar, MSI Gaming Plus or the ASrock Pro 4

Not sure about you, but I'll be using an Asus Prime AB350 Plus for mine.

Just ordered these parts, rate my blunder status:

R5 1600X
Noctua NH-U12S
2x16gb GSkill TridentZ 3200mhz
ASRock AB350M Pro4
500gb 850 Evo M.2
Fractal Define Mini C
Seasonic SSR-650RM

Will add these that I already own:
RX470 4gb
120gb 840 Evo
2x 500gb WD hdd