/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lenovo-Extended-Battery-0a36303-Originals/dp/B00LLT3ANI/
xiphmont.livejournal.com/70560.html
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024298
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What was the last good Thinkpad?

T430

NEW THREAD

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T420 and X220 if you want to be smart.

Nice try retard.

Gonna transplant a X1 Carbon screen into my T430s. Bought a LCD extender cable from china that will arrive in 2-4 weeks.

Anyone done this or something similar? I read on the tp wiki that you need to snip a triangle from the one edge of the cable?

Experiences appreciated :-)

Stop shilling your stupid thread. No one cares about your inferior xx20 series, and you were late to make the new thread.

neck yourself

> →

I currently have an X201 but I'm looking for an upgrade. How is the X230? How is the thickness compared?

x201: 11.6" x 8.3" x 0.8-1.4"
x230: 12.0" x 8.13" x 0.75-1.05"

repost from the other new thread...
best thing i have ever done to t430

how much of an upgrade do you want

it can take 16gb ram if that's what u need

cpu performance marginal, depends which ones you have/can get, look up benchmarks

integrated graphics performance big upgrade

battery life probably a big upgrade if you get a good one

>seller has two x230's for sell
>missed first one, had to pay a slight premium for the second because it had 8gb ram
>already have 8gb laptop ram sitting around

poorfag life

classic keyboard bros WW@

Daily reminder: 2570p is better that x230

My T41p just arrived. It seems to have a supervisor password. After the IBM logo it shows a padlock and a PC besides it.
Seller says that he doesn't remember the password.

What do

Return it, take your anti-autism pills. Get t440p instead

Dumb frogposter.

return

but if you just press enter you can still get into the BIOS, you just can't change any of the options

so if everything you want is already disabled/enabled then it might not be a big deal

but muh Intel Centrino™
muh legacy software

Look for a stack of papers that you can't afford to have the wind blow away.

Asking again

Nope, won't let me even enter the BIOS. Internal CMOS battery was dead so I installed a new one and then says "Check date-time" but I cannot access the BIOS.

Never heard of this, sorry.

the top part of your palmrest seems fucked mate, but still, kudos for the classic keyboard. i had no such problems with fitting it.

Maybe the screen backlight is bleeding over the ThinkLight?

Also, that T43 problem might be the inverter.

dumb thinkcuck

i do not think you can disable the primary lcd like that

Are you mentally retarded?
Fix your palmrest you dumb thinkfag

Does anyone have experience with chinkshit thinkpad batteries? I need t420 replacement batteries and I'm trying to figure where I should get them. The new oem ones are $100, but I don't want one that is going to turn into a brick or a house fire.

Could be. It's not that much of an issue, though, just a bit curious.
It happens even when you turn it off, that's why I'm asking; it's not bright as a LCD backlight, it's actually really dim. The ThinkLight works great, nonetheless.

Regarding the T43, is it hard or expensive to fix the screen inverter or should I just try to get another screen if I happen to buy it?

Most of the time you're safer with OEM batteries, chinks rarely have their advertised capacity and in some cases they can die on you or allahu akbar while you're shitposting about why you should install Gentoo

$70 on amazon for genuine lenovo 9-cell batteries

amazon.com/Lenovo-Extended-Battery-0a36303-Originals/dp/B00LLT3ANI/

just make sure you get it from a good seller

Kiss my ass.

Yeah it's fucked, I have a new palmrest coming in this weekend.

Is 1366x768 shit?

Yep. 1600x900 is bad enough, but at least bearable at 14 inches.

Welcome to the club pal
xiphmont.livejournal.com/70560.html
FIGHT!

Fuck you. T41p doesn't have any of that Intel ME/AMT shit

What if I live in Yuropoor?

Neither does mine, dipshit. I'm not a faggot who can't remove ME myself.

You can remove ME in T440p? Yeah good luck

You retarded, son? It works on every platform now, including new Kaby Lake chips.

sorry to hear

Just tried shorting SCL and SDA and the IBM logo hangs saying "Entering IBM BIOS setup"

I hope this works.

Can anyone explain to me why the sockets on these T420 boards are different and why there are other subtle differences

Not sure, but my T430 has the same thing.

Wait what? You mean they patched it? But isn't intel me part of the CPU itself? I mean afaik, modern CPU can't work without intel me because it also handles some important stuff which are quite essential to the cpu itself.

You mean there is no hope of getting OEM batteries? Hello? Halp plox

(OP)
NEW THREAD

>trying to hijack thread to push his own shitty pasta
Can you off yourself please

>this fag again
Please fuck off /tpg/ was much better without you derailing every question

New t420.

You go to Aliexpress and hope not to get any housefires

I found a SL500 in a trash pile in front of an electronics school in decent visual state. It had Windows XP installed on it but wouldn't boot because the controller was set to AHCI instead of IDE after the BIOS battery died, which is presumably why it was thrown in the trash. Installed Arch on it and it runs like heaven.

Why haven't I heard of this model before? It has a comfy screen and can be upgraded to hell.

No it doesn't, it's just spyware. You can patch it out.

>literally wrote (OP) next to OP post to trick people
Shitty bait
Please off yourself and your shitty thread

What's the best Thinkpad under a grand

Any requirements?

And if I desire for ultrabay battery or sliced battery, then I'm completely fucked?
It's about time that I start to learn using ebay

well, has fewer posts and these two new tpg's are only like an hour apart so i guess this is the new thread

Would prefer a 1080 screen
rest you could always up later, innit

Despite the shilling thrown by this faggot X220/T420 and under are almost always sold under a grand and run very well, even when it comes to playing vidya. If you manage to find a T430 for that price though, you should go for it.

The fuck? You shouldn't be paying more than $100 for a barebones T430 without a drive.

$200 for a fully working unit.

A grand gets you a brand new current gen model.

if u dont care for the older keyboards just go for the T470 os X270 or some shit with the dual batteries and a FHD screen. iirc with the employee code one of these laptops is under 1k

> (OP) (OP)
>NEW THREAD
> → →
> → →
> → →
(OP) (OP)
NEW THREAD

→ →
→ →
→ →

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that was on the European market. They're harder to come by here.

fuck off shill, hope the mods ban you and your shitty spam

different poster
my condolences for you having to deal with european availability

And I might have also read a grand as 100$ like a cunt, so there's that too.

Follow what and said.

Weight?
You could go for a T530 or a W530 or maybe a T440 with a touchpad swap and T440p with a pad swap

all right i'll take a look
thanks
Don't mind any weight

If you do care for the older keyboards, there are obscure methods to install FHD panels into (nonexhaustively): T420, T430, X220, X230

What docks are compatible with a T530? And what hardware do I need for the BIOS flash?

W530 or even W540 with a touchpad swap

I mention the X230 and T430 because iirc it's a simple deal to drop in the X220 or T420 keyboard

If I open up a site for doing hardware flashes for people (both custom BIOS for shit like AES-NI, Overclocking, and Advanced Menu, and/or whitelist removal), how much would you pay for the service (not including shipping), and would you be interested in it?

What's the difference between a T model and a W model ?

Really not worth mentioning because the parts are so hard to come by

support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024298

I'm not sure if the 170W version will work with it, you can also go for the non-usb 3.0 models, but they're all pretty cheap off ebay so whatever

If I didn't know how to do it I'd probably be interested, but that being said people who are usually interested in that stuff tend to know how to do it themselves.

It really depends on what kind of market you're aiming for.

RAM slots + GPU.

It should be cheaper than buying a Pomona chip plus hardware flasher/raspberry pi so people can justify actually sending shit to you but it should be able make what you're spent back in under 10 jobs

It's funny, that was one of the low end xx00 laptops, and now it looks nicer than anything Lenovo makes.

ran out of one or the other when starting a new batch

Because it's not business grade hardware
That's not bad but unless you pull them out of the trash like you did they're not worth getting over the recommended models usually because they're priced really closely to them and the recommended models aren't that pricey to begin with

you had any issues on ubuntu with crashes from i915 drivers? I keep getting system hangs after 15 mins - 45 mins of uptime. it causes the machine to reboot.

I bought a T430 about one hr ago, it will ship in the mail. It has a i5-3210M and 1600 X 900 res.
Only 4 GB ram, but I have 8 GB ready here, so it will run on 12. It comes with a 250 Gb stone age version, so that will be replaced with a Sumsumg 750 Evo 256 SSD.
Then I'll be set to go, I payed almost 180 usd, I'm a Scandinavia-fag, so I think the price is ok. I am curious to if it is worth the effort to upgrade cpu ? And is it possible to get an old keyboard (the T420 version) that is back-lid?
Seller said battery last a bit more than one hr, so I better get a new one. Where to get? Pointers much appreciated.

yeah that's a good price

>I am curious to if it is worth the effort to upgrade cpu ?

if you don't know whether you need it or not, you probably won't, not worth the effort

no, *20 keyboards are not back-lit

Quick reminder that finding a cpu from a dead laptop is easy but the real issue is you also need the dGPU heatsink to make it work

Who else is /egpu/ here

I just got a 1366x768 t430 - how much of a ride is it to replace the panel?

wtf is going on here.. the acpi calls are within a second of each other

(I disconnected the charger before the last one, obviously)

Ty for the input, I guess I will stay with the i5-3210M for a while.

Nope.

T60

>ebay listing advertised $16 for USPS priority mail (1-3 days)
>actually used fedex standard shipping, 8 days

can I get a partial refund for this if I really wanted to be a nigger? or should I even bother messaging the seller and just accept being jewed myself and just leave bad feedback passive aggressively

Just call him a fag and leave a bad reviews