So right now I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3 as a basic file server, and DNS server for my house. It works fine...

So right now I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3 as a basic file server, and DNS server for my house. It works fine, except when there's any real amount of I/O it shoots up in temp.

Rummaging through my shit, I found my old Phenom II X2 550, and mobo and I'm wondering, will it work as a better file server? It's going to take up more power naturally, but am I going to get that much of a significant boost in performance using it as a headless server?

That cpu is slower than a 10W atom/celeron/pentium, and that old chip probably only supports DDR2/SATA2/USB2

>fileserver
>94w tdp

Get a case that has passive cooling. That's what I did for my pi 2

is the Ethernet on the Pi 3 any better than previous Pis?

Nope. Still uses the same combined USB hub + Ethernet combo (Microchip LAN9514) as the RPi1 B+ and RPi2.
Even the onboard Wi-Fi has better connection over SDIO.

Bollocks.

Read my post retard, I know it's a 95w tdp chipset, but I have it laying around.

Everything I've seen regarding cases with passive cooling is that it's pretty much snake oil, and shows no real significant cooling enhancement.

I'd be better off buying an odroid instead, if I wanted to spend money.

RASPBERRYS ARE NOT INTENDED FOR HUGE NETWORK AND FILE I/O STREAMS NIGGER.

When will people finally get this? jeez.
They are literally not made to act as a file server. THEY CAN THOUGH, BUT THERE ARE WAY BETTER OPTIONS OUT THERE

any that cost $20?

Any used PC since gigabit became standard, so like in the last 12 years. I got a free c2d machine.

>will it work as a better file server?
Yeah, it'll be about 10x faster. Youd probably underclock that CPU tho.

what this guy says is correct.
There are tons of machines out in the wild that you can even get for free and maybe just have to place a gigabit card for 5€ into it

none of those have the small profile or power consumption of a raspi

>replace low-powered tiny NAS computer with desktop sized power-guzzler

You guys are fucking dumb.

then try one of those raspberry clones. There are some out there with gigabit and even a eSata port, iirc.
THEY WERE MADE FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES NOT FOR SETTING UP A PRODUCTIVE FILE SERVER YOU RETARD

I'll have to take a look, then.

the entire rpi module probably consumes less than 2 watts from the wall

are you from reddit?

He's talking about that Phenom II board and how it's easily beaten by modern SoC/Low Power x86 CPUs both in speed and power consumption (a few more watts than a Pi), just not in price.

Make a cluster of RPis and use RAID for faster disk access

Most if not all c2d/athlon2/phenom2 stuff already has gigabit but yeah.

But they work as a usable NAS. Again, about 10x as fast. which is what OP was asking about.

The size isnt bad when you realize you dont live in a japanese miniature apartment and they you get a lot less cable clutter.

Orange Pi Zero + NAS extension board.