Why is UK broadband so shit?

Why is UK broadband so shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography#Sound-to-spelling_correspondences
twitter.com/AnonBabble

London here, 80 down, 16 up. Works for me

BT holds a monopoly on the infrastructure. So it can upgrade the lines at the speed it likes.

Here's a map with speed as a metric. Quite interesting how some regions just have a different perception

Works for me. Kentish village with talk talk. Granted actual download speed is 2mb/s when it's advertised as 14mb/s but still, I remember the days of being lucky to get 100kb/s.

>BT
>upgrade

lol, good one.

bt jews

>100mb down
>0.1-1mb up
:-/

Mate the whole place and everything in it is pretty much shit.

16th fastest average in the world isn't great, but is still over twice the average speed of the USA.

>Why is UK broadband so shit?
Reminds me of Sturgeon's Law: 90% of SF is crap because 90% of everything is crap.
Crap is relative. Even the Koreans complain it's too slow.
I've got 100Mbs fibre and, at times, it's too slow.

Live in zone 2 London, had shit 1.5mps net until last month. Bizarre how it's taken this long to get even fttc to us.

Because telecoms are among the dirtiest companies in the world.

who else /westyorkshire/ here?
~70 down / ~17 up with bt infinity business. i host mail and media servers so fttp rather than fttc would be a big plus if virgin media ever resumed their fiber rollout.

No one needs stupidly fast internet unless they're a software pirate

why do the shitter parts get quick broadband whereas the people who actually do all the work, Southeast England, lag behind

Can get fibre to the cabinet here (solent area) but i'm still on adsl.

better than living in hull where you have to use Kingston communications.

>norfolk
>top 5 unsatisfied
I'm getting 200mbps for £45/month.
Not amazing but definitely not the top 5 unsatisfied.

I've 500/200 (not in England btw), and the only thing I'm complaining about is the cat5e cable being too unstable. It might be due to the lan port on my computer being faulty though.

I need to get a new crimper and maybe some cat6 cable.

>shitty plusnet
>2 megabyte/s download speeds
>any task for everyone on the network is super sluggish while downloading
At least there's no data limit and its cheap

Its definitely your port, cables arent unstable unless they are torn.

literally just buy a new cable. it should be cat 6 for >100mbps. ideally you would leave a constant ping going to your router and give the cable a wiggle and check for drops, then repeat with a different cable, and again with a different port on your router. problem solving 101.

my parents were in the exact same boat until bt rolled out fttc in their area. they used to get ~1.5mbps down but now get ~20 (the cab is nearly a mile away)

...or badly crimped

>sky "broadband"
>torrents cap out at 900kbps
>just

Lincolnshire here, no complaints about speed really and Virgin Broadband basically never goes down. (Probably just jinxed it like.) Occasionally it'll get slow in evenings and on weekends, but that's par for the course.

Years ago plus net were who I moved to to get away from bt/tiscali/talk talk. They were great and customer support both spoke English and also answered the phone. Threatened to leave and they gave me the at the time hidden unlimited account. Wierd how everyone says they're shit since bt bought them.

I'm okay.

People actually use Sky's internet service?

how much is rent lad?

>I'm okay.
>lives in Slough

> (You)
>People actually use Sky's internet service?

Yeah, my family all use sky TV. :/

Zero, because I lucked out. You mad?

It's alright, I suppose.
Wish Hyperoptic was available in my area. I really fucking wish.

I don't live in slough, that's just the closest server. But i get what you mean, my brother goes to school there and got his phone jacked

Literally on the other side of the bridge and Vodafone broadband runs like butter.

Back to reddshitt, frogposting retard.

Leicester here, 180 down, 12 up
Works for me

Immigrants?

But we're 1/3 the area of Texas.

>I got caught replying to myself
>better tell someone to get back to plebbit so I look cool

Whatever reason, you're fucktarded export Politicians that end up in Australia fucked our NBN.

So fuck you Britain.
Fuck you in a big way.

>tfw my county is one of the least satisfied with our broadband
Being at the arse end of wales is truly suffering.

london is a great place to visit, i wouldnt want to live there more than a year though because of pollution (especially metal particles in the tube's air). that is why i asked for rent.

>BT holds a monopoly on the infrastructure

Untrue everywhere. In Bristol where I live Virgin runs its own fibre lines. The competition is probably why the satisfaction is higher here I guess.

Colonies getting uppity again, wew lad!

>EU colony thinks they're big shit

Yeah no kidding, whenever I go even for a day when I get home my snot is jet black.

Can you say brexit?

Clwyd here (Wales)

All of Wales has been slowly receiving incremental speed increases as every copper cable is being replaced with fibre optic. I've gone up from 1.3mbps in 2013 to 28/30mbps today, Welsh internet is now very good and this graphic is outdated

Bless you for putting Wales in brackets, like we couldn't tell by the lack of vowels.

>EU colony thinks they'll be anything left of value after the EU required migrants pillage their country years before they can finally trigger their article 15.
How many years do you think think it's gonna be AFTER they FINALLY trigger article 15 too - can't make it too hasty now, this is government work.

Y is a vowel in welsh. Also, the entire planet isn't aware of Welsh spellings

Well, what I really think think is that it'll never happen. There'll be another vote, this year or next year, probably with plenty of terrorist attacks in between, so the whole "see, we'll be safer in the EU" rhetoric can be shoved down our throats.

I didn't know that about Y but calm down boyo or I'll shoot you in the back.

if net neutrality removed isp would have incentives to provide better internet

Liar

Edge of Glasgow here, 200 down, 12 up on Virgin. Generally no issues. Down on the Ayrshire coast Virgin have been running new cables finally so more people are signing up, but most places outside the central belt of Scotland and it's your choice of BT reseller and shit speed

In Most Satisfied area. Aw yeah son.
Ayrshire, not the worst place in Scotland.

Y is also a vowel in English. Sky.
So is W in some cases. I forgot which cases.

Also, another fun fact, there are more vowels than consonants. About 5-7 more if I remember correct.
They are just wrapped up under combinations like ai, ay, ae, ee, oo, etc.

Rural Devonshire here

200 KB/s on the BT line on a good day and about 2 Meg on the satellite. That's right, the internet is so shit we have 2 internet connections because the line is constantly dropping out.

We've called them, sent letters yet they still charge the same than the fast internet in the nearest town. I hate BT to the very bottom of my heart.

Trippy, I always thought it was just aeiou

Because a privatised former state monopoly was allowed to retain control of infrastructure while being a retail competitor. All infrastructure decisions are made in the interest of the BT group's shareholders not some national good or even the broader good of a market. Even the ~£1BN taxpayer's BDUK cash that was handed to them is ultimately spent where they decide. (Funny that's about the time they found £1BN to become a TV company and buy football rights. What a coinkydink)

There's a nice table of them all here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography#Sound-to-spelling_correspondences

Also I got it the wrong way around, welp.
Look at all dem sounds though.
Crazy to think about.

UK Virgin Media here. 100Mbps fiber, could upgrade to 200Mbps, but I'm satisfied. About 35 GBP per month iirc, not too bad. Uncapped too. The upload is a bit meh (10Mbps) but I survive. I've heard scary things about the other providers though, so I don't think I'd ever go to any of the others.

Virgin Media are top Schlomo (they just help themselves to as much of my money as they want; they increase prices whenever they feel like it and when I phoned up to change the account name, because the account had been transferred from my friend when he moved somewhere with no coverage, they demanded a £20 "administration and handling charge" just to call me by my actual name, so I told them to eat shit and now all the spam emails they send me have the wrong name on), but their Internet speed is pretty solid. They also block certain piracy websites, though, which is fucking Orwellian in the extreme.

60 down 17 up in brighton. good enough desu

>Broadband

Are Britbongs living in the stone-age or something?

That's like 2003-tier internet for me lol.

I've got 77Mbps download speed, and a whopping 5Mbps upload speed.

>Stone Age
>2003
2/10 pls more shitpost effort in future

Whatever mate.

I'll be shitposting on my high-speed fiber optics.

Reading here, 110 down and 6 up. Truly land of the cucked, but at least I can download shit.

Lincoln here

100 up 100 down

student accommodation though

Barton?
Scunthorpe?

get a paid vpn senpai

Uxbridge here
>120 down
>6 up
what the literal shit...

Third world country ruled by Islam

52/10 living in the countryside so can't complain. It's massive improvement over the 3.5 before. Believe the line could handle 66/20 but it's not the worth the extra money.

Scunthorpe, I have like a solid 100mbps speed.