Can we all agree that there are too many Linux distributions?

Only Ubuntu and Arch should exist. Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't

>server running arch
>pacman -Syyu
kek

well_memed_my_friend.jpg

wait wut... I've been doing pacman -Syu all the time

There are distros that needs to die, for example two distros trying to do same thing
Lxle and lubuntu, libreelec and openelec, funtoo and gentoo, any debian fork that is not relevant, Pardus for example and so on.

Syyu updates package info even if the current downloaded one is the latest

no, i think we need more distros.
5 million distros will be fine i guess

fuck off
i worked on pardus

Is there any difference besides package manager?

Speed, bloat, and desktop environment(s).

So that's why it's so shit.

Debian needs to exist otherwise Ubuntu wouldn't.
Also Ubuntu is stupid with crazy ideas like Mir.
Arch is for edgy teens who don't have anything better to do with their time.

Debian for APT folks.
Fedora for RPM folks.

File system structure and memes are the 2 biggest factors when choosing a distro

yeah, but turkroach gov still uses it

agree Debian. Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS rest can die

I retract my previous statement, THIS is why it's so shit.

But there are more currently supported Windows distributions right now than Linux distributions in your pic...

Off the top of my head:
Windows 10
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Education
Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows 10 S
Windows 10 with Bing
Windows 10 IoT Edition
Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Starter
Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 8.1 Mobile
Windows 8.1 RT
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Windows Server 2008 Web
Windows Server 2008 HPC
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 Itanium
Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Windows Server 2008 R2 Web
Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 R2 Itanium
Windows Server 2012 Foundation
Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 Standard
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter
Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2016 Essentials
Windows Server 2016 Standard
Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
Windows Embedded POSReady 2009
Windows Embedded POSReady 7
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry
Windows Embedded Automotive 7

the biggest factor is how cool the logo looks in screenfetch

t. debian user

lmao no. Pardus is a fucking shit and dormant. They scraped 7 years of pardus development because big screens that are used by schools doesn't has touch drivers for it, and switched to Debian because they said it has drivers for it. And after 5 years, all of the schools and goverment computers are using Windows 10. Pardus died for nothing and today's Pardus is just a renamed Debian. Turkroach goverment killed it as soon as it hit top 25 in distrowatch, probably a "donation" by Microsoft I can only assume.

>ubuntu should exist
holy fuck i didn't think pieces of shit like you actually existed

Yes, there are too many distributions, but that's because a lot of them serve a specific purpose:
CentOs for servers, puppy for low end systems, kali/parrot for pentesting, etc.

There are too many general purpose distros. Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, Debian, Fedora, etc don't fill a specific role and they're glorified desktop environments, not different distros. 2bh

>Windows 8.1 RT
That's my favourite :^)

Can we all agree that there are too many races?
Only white and slavic should exist. Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can'

>slavic should exist
Let that go through your head.

>Arch is for edgy teens who don't have anything better to do with their time.

Hasn't been true for a long time now. Arch needs to exist otherwise Antergos and Manjaro wouldn't. No one likes doing dist-upgrades so a rolling release distro needs to exist.

Package manager, default packages, changes to configuration files, patches etc.

Doesn't arch use systemd?

>slavs are not white
nice try stormfag

>he doesn't know about the saying that slavic ppl are white nigger
But I digress.

I thought you are meant to make your own

Comparing "flavors" of windows versions to distributions

Nobody's gonna say Kali?

Only gentoo and templeOS should exist

>running ubuntu on servers
>running Arch on servers

t. NEET

Ubuntu for normal people

Arch for autists and faggots

They both are disqualified because they have systemd. Your statement is incorrect.

>Devuan exists

Most distros could be delivered as an installable theme/application package that can be installed on any generic Linux OS.

Yes, and?

>File system structure

It's retarded in all distros besides gobolinux

only debian and rhel/centos should exist
ubuntu is just a broken debian copy
arch isn't even worth mentioning in the real world

Systemd is cancer and a botnet

well there are to many distros but only arch and linux thats just cancer

They are pretty similar. Honestly most distros are closer to each other than Windows versions, as different Windows versions come with different features and sometimes extra tools while the only main differences between distros is logos, package manager and sometimes file structure.

no

Weak b8 heck off i run Gentoo.

>Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't
how do i filter these threads?

First you need to learn how to use a search engine.

>Be hardcore windows user (college / uni used it, i like vidya a lot).
>Also be systems engineer, want to understand unix because of all the benefits compared to dev on win.
>RedHat seems to be the direction because its "enterprise"
>Its not free, so slowly taught myself how to use CentOS from the minimal installer
>from there managed to setup a private server i can ssh into,
>setup githooks to self deploy, also using docker, nodejs, babel, webpack etc.
>Excluding this experience, I've used a tiny bit of Ubuntu for a module back in college.

^ I post this first to show my level of experience before stating my opinion and also to ask if i'm heading in the right direction?

As for the question: I think Ubuntu is fine for general purpose computing (normies). Any distro that is built for a specific purpose and does it well deserve to exist.

It's good to have a lot of variety because it means there is a lot of competition which means we will slowly get better and better distros while the shit ones will stop existing when the userbase dies.

Fedora has god tier logo.

Antergos has the worst.

Puppy Linux is fun though

This. Besides there are only really a handful of actual distros, most of the other ones are just small rethemes and spins of the big distros (debian/ubuntu, fedora/centos/rhel, opensuse/suse, arch, gentoo, slackware).

>Pardus
It still hurts.

There are too many. Way too many fucking autists forking or making some project based on Debian, Ubuntu, or Arch.

Most of the time these distros that are "based on" other distros are just buggier shittier versions of the distros they're based on.

Anons new to Linux, take my advice. Avoid any distro based off of another. This includes Mint and Manjaro. It will look nice and impress you for a few weeks, but then the cracks will start to show. Get a proper original distro.

The notable exception here is Ubuntu, which is based on Debian but has enough manpower and organization behind it to consider it an independent effort. It's still not that perfect though, so you're better off just getting Debian.

What are you talking about? There's only two distros, fedora and debian.

Everything else is a reskin

You can change to openrc or shrink systemd's purpose considerably.

>Windows Embedded Automotive 7
Wat. Automotive?

Sure, there are too many. But both ubuntu and arch in their current state are downright unusable. Arch breaks everything with every update, ubuntu is just constantly broken from the get go.
Gentoo, on the other hand, is near perfect. If there was a well-maintained binhost for all packages, gentoo would be bar none the best distro.

Linux should compete with windows and OSX not within itself. What's happening now is Red Hat slowly out engineering everyone else in the freetard space because they're the only ones with resources and financial interest to see it improve beyond autism level. Ubantu and debian are too much of clusterfucks to compete, i mean debian has like 3 kernels and ubantu are being retarded and wasting resources and time on vaporware.

Soon linux community will be nothing but Rad Hat beta testers.

I think you replied to the wrong post.

Yes, some distros have collections of tools not available in other distros, such as ubuntu's driver jockey or opensuse's yast.

Whoops

Meant for

Can we all agree that attempts at thought-leading and nudging and consensus-formation have no place on any board on Sup Forums?

>Antergos has the worst
that's literally the reason why I chose Manjaro over Antergos. And also the name, Manjaro sounds much better than Antegos

Sup Forums is perfect for forming consensus on which targets to raid

I wish I could afford a better computer, I'd suck 100 dicks for an i5 and more than 2gb of ram

Thank god there are so many linux distros I can use though, this laptop chugs with windows 10

Unironically buy a chinkpad or other business laptop used

>buying used portable electronics
>wanting to touch someone's years worth of accumilated germs and encrusted semen

There's a reason laptops and phones are sold much more cheaply

I do a good job cleaning my secondhand electronics. I got little alcohol wipes I use and everything