What would be a good server OS?

Hi Sup Forumsentlemens.
I would be interested in hearing your advises about a Server OS.
I really care about security, privacy, and stability. (which is imo important on a server).
Otherwise I would have chosen Gentoo or Arch.
What do you think about Hardened Ubuntu Server ? (up to date, pretty solid, but systemd, privacy?) Hardened Debian ? (Rock solid, but a bit out of date ?, systemd again?) CentOS ? (bc made by RedHat, but systemd, Redhat ?)
What would you recommend ? Other OSes are welcomed to the discussion, systemd less systems too.

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/ubuntu-server-the-smart-persons-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Debian
/thread

cent os

OpenBSD/FreeBSD or CentOS/Debian would be my picks.

this - FreeBSD

Ubuntu Server

/thread

Could you explain why?

centos

Debian or Centos

Slackware if you dont intend to shut it down in the next decade or so.

Never really approached this distro. Is it okay for server purposes? Rock solid? Up to date? Secure?

techrepublic.com/article/ubuntu-server-the-smart-persons-guide/

Windows Server 2016
/thread

CentOS, plenty of guides online because it is literally unbranded RHEL and it doesn't have weird meta tools that ubuntu has like a2enmod and update-grub.

are you choosing an OS for a large datacenter/network or any other business usage?
if you answered "no I just want to serve my shitty anime over my shitty home network" then use whatever the fuck you want, there's seriously no difference

>up to date
no
>secure
yes

Personal use as docker / website / gitlab or VMsor anything that I would need or for testing things.

Gentoo

Ubuntu is an excellent server os with a clear lifecycle, polished defaults and good security. My preference will always be Ubuntu and openbsd for real services.

Debian or FreeBSD

Redhat/SUSE

Go with CentOS because it has SELinux enabled by default.
Otherwise go with Ubuntu

Your question really depends on what your planning to run, where/how you're planning to run it, and what kind of support you require.

The most common answer here seems to be either Debian or CentOS. But, really, any platform or combination of them, can be just good as another provided that you take the time to figure what you need to do to support it as a whole.

No one OS is master of all. They all have quirks, limitations, and hurdles to overcome. Some are easier than others.

The only way you'll find out is by putting your toe in the water.

I run CentOS on my server, if you need newer packages you need to compile them from source, but the in repo ones are rock solid. Updates are worry free for the most part, which is nice.

use Devuan, debian is kill

debian

For servers, always Debian