/pcbg/ PC Building General

pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use
>Threadripper/i9 soon

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex in a few days, wait for it

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram
nixeus.com/product/nixeus-edg27/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QWnxd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/nMZLLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/WrHXqk
pcpartpicker.com/user/koolboy78/saved/8F7999
coolermaster.com/we-are-ready-for-your-am4-socket/
cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JQEG1
pcpartpicker.com/list/2M2Xqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/6nMj9W
youtube.com/watch?v=1v44wWAOHn8
logicalincrements.com/games/fallout4/
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0&t=14s
pcpartpicker.com/list/jTfq8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/rTCTxY
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI
youtube.com/watch?v=PZjHYM7zDiE&t=303s
youtube.com/watch?v=O0oSYTP24rU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

Those looking for news on the ram issues with AM4 motherboards.

>i7-7700k - bad value but good
Was this written by a manic with tourette's?

Just add "for gaymes" at the end.

$325 (+ at least $30 cooler) for a 4 cores in 2017 is really shit. It's poor value. It has a strong point in that it can reach framerates that no other CPUs can, but that's about it.

is nixeus as good as their reputation seems to be?

im considering this
nixeus.com/product/nixeus-edg27/

but it uses that au optronics panel that has severe quality control issues, ive already returned 3 other monitors that used the same panel

Nobody should have to assume. The description isn't descriptive.
>for a 4 cores
Then specify "in core count". The statement "bad but good" doesn't tell you anything.

Any thoughts on this build

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QWnxd6

What are good mobos for ryzen cpus? Asrock pro 4 any good?

Just built a new pc with the following parts
pcpartpicker.com/list/nMZLLD

Running an RX580 8GB and Ryzen 5 1600. Problem is most of my games are capped at 60 frames (or lower) and it doesn't matter what settings I'm on. Vsync is always disabled, but I am using a 60hz monitor. Tried googling it but it seems like my problem's an isolated one. Anyone know what I can do? Does it somehow have to do with only having 8gb of ram?

Almost any B350 mobo will be fine as long as you dont go crazy on voltage. Asrock/ASUS boards are good for straining your VRM's with 1.4++

no complaints. good build

good

pcpartpicker.com/list/WrHXqk

First time building a PC. Planning on some light streaming and video games. Nothing hardcore. Monitor listed is a planned secondary monitor that'll double as a television. Primary would likely be a 1440p.

Looking for general advice on if it's sound or not and any improvements I can make. Also I don't understand the compatibility note it gives me regarding the Cooler and the MOBO

Which current monitor is the absolute king of motion clarity? Sick of using garbage tier 60hz PWM displays and thought I'd go straight for the best.

pcpartpicker.com/user/koolboy78/saved/8F7999 r8

Good build. Also they mean this:
coolermaster.com/we-are-ready-for-your-am4-socket/

the problem at this point, is how powerful is your system?
The current king of displays is an 8k monitor made by Dell, but you need a very powerful system to push to it effectively... and the monitor is like $5k.

wut case

Learn how to read.

I did. You said you'd go straight to the best.
I hope you have bank.

he did, you said the best.

That is the best and the king of clarity.

Change the case, buy fractal.
The rest is perfect.

>motion clarity

Learn how to read.

it is. get over it. You asked for the best. Now open the wallet wide and let Daddy Dell take a thrust

What would be a comparably priced cooler that doesn't need some sort of compatibility hookup to use?

What makes you think it isn't the king of motion clarity?

there isn't one. Ryzen is new.

8k is the resolution. 5k is the price.
You asked for the king of displays then bitched when presented with it.

Read the fuckin list mate. It tells you which CM cooler is compatible out of the box.

this one

so shit then

tell me why?

cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JQEG1
Are there any ways that I can cut down the cost while still keeping it actually useful for gaming? Hard budget limit is 1100$, but I'd like to keep it below 1000$ if possible.

Here's my ideal specs:
Processor: i5-7600k (or better)
RAM: 16GB (or higher)
Graphics Card: GTX 1050 2GB (or better)
Storage Capacity: 1TB (or higher)
Power Supply: 800 watts (or higher)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (or better)
Benchmark Game: Fallout 4 at 60+fps on highest graphics settings (or better)

>non modular bays
>unpainted aluminum interior
>ketchup and mustard wiring
>hideous fan mount on acrylic side glass

What did they mean by this?

I need a mouse Sup Forums

>~$40
>wired or wireless it doesn't matter
>no gaymershit

I never want to hear you say, I want it that wayyyy

Are ASUS graphics cards any good? I'm looking at the ASUS Radeon EX-RX570-4G.

um according to seasonic you have to use two sepearate pcie cables when connecting a graphics card. WTF

buying prebuilt systems is a catch22. Yes there's a warranty, but for less money, you can often build a system with similar or even better capabilities.

BTW, no one recommends the i5 7600k anymore. Everyone recommends the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 though.

Anyways, here's a build for you. I managed to keep it under 1k.
pcpartpicker.com/list/2M2Xqk

Just had a general question about CPUs. Why are Intel's CPUs only mostly 4-cores when there were already 3.8Ghz 8-core AMD CPUs in 2012 ? What made CPUs better since that time given that they all clock at the same frequencies and do not have more cores ? Is it just the RAM bridge frequencies ? Are 8-core CPUs just a meme ?

Just get a wheel mouse optical off ebay for $5 and install the 1000hz driver. Don't fall for modern gamershit mice memes.

lul who would come to this shithole general full of fucking retards that don't know anything about PC hardware instead of just going to r/buildapc

The only thing keeping me from building my own system is that I don't trust myself well enough to put it together without breaking something. CyberPower seems to give the best deals out of any pre-built seller, so I've been forced to go with them unless an alternative presents itself.

About the Ryzen, I've heard talk from friends that AMD processors, regardless of type, are universally shitty and prone to overheating like their graphics cards. Has that changed with the Ryzen 5?

First of all build your own.

If Fallout 4 at 60fps ultra @ 1080p is your goal, do this, pic related. You'll need to update the BIOS but that's all.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6nMj9W

YES, for the last time. Ryzen is NOTHING like the FX series, for fucks sake, at least do some basic googling before coming here.

Your friends are ignorant morons that parrot outdated information. You should always build your own system, it's not hard just watch a YouTube tutorial. The Ryzen 5 lineup gives close to the same performance as the 7600k for a much cheaper price.

back in 2012, 8 core CPUs were a meme. Though AMD 8 core FX chips existed, they were comparable in performance to a 4 core Intel i5.

A few months ago, AMD released Ryzen, which introduced a completely new 8 core architecture. For 500 bucks, a new 8 core AMD Ryzen 7 will dominate an Intel Core i7 6900k, which is a $1000 CPU.

>Has that changed with the Ryzen 5?
What you hear your friends talk about was AMD's FX chips. Ryzen was introduced 3 months ago. The 8 core RYzen 7 chips have put to shame $1000i Intel chips like the 6900k while costing half as much, The Ryzen 5 series uses the same architecture as Ryzen 7 but with cores deactivated for 4 core and 6 core variants. The golden chip of the line up is the Ryzen 5 1600, a 6 core, 12 thread CPU for $220.

Is it critical for me to use a PCIe 3.0 slot with NVMe?

I've got plenty of spare PCIe 2.0 slots, but no spare 3.0 ones.

here. This explains the architecture and what it can do.
And before you say anything about her, Dr. Lisa Su is the CEO of AMD.
youtube.com/watch?v=1v44wWAOHn8

> I don't trust myself well enough to put it together without breaking something
Trust yourself a little more. The parts are designed to be assembled.

Is the Intel heatsink any good if I apply third party thermal paste (arctic silver) to it?

temps may be somewhat lower but Intel's stock coolers are garbage.

Have you updated your gpu's drivers yet?

Your friends are retarded. Who the fuck do you think makes the processors that run their Xbox's, playstation's, and Nintendo Switch's? All AMD.

If you want to keep your budget to a bare minimum, maybe. But the stock intel heatsink is shit, and insanely loud. If you plan to do anything other than Word/Web-surfing, just change it right away. Anything else is better.

Alright, time for honesty. It's not me that lacks trust, it's my parents. I've tried to assure them that it's manageable with proper research, but they believe it's like neuro-surgery and that I'm incapable of it, so they demand that I get it pre-built. So, pre-built is my only option right now.

Check out this guide

logicalincrements.com/games/fallout4/

>logicalincrements
into the trash it goes.

here. Show them this. It's not rocket science.
youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0&t=14s

Get A zowie, i recently used one, theyre basic but good. Basically the new Microsoft intellimouse.

Hi so I'm going for rx580
Should I get Nitro+ limited edition 8G for 290$
Or Gigabite Aorus 8G for 250$

I know nitro+ is better,is it 40$ better tho?

>I've heard talk from friends that AMD processors, regardless of type, are universally shitty and prone to overheating like their graphics cards. Has that changed with the Ryzen 5?
Your friends are retarded and don't know anything about hardware. Happens a lot with normal people, my friends say the same and have the audacity to tell me that my R9 280x is causing me problems when it doesn't and my R7 1700 is shit when benchmarks show it doesn't
Even the shittiest AMD CPUs & GPUs didn't overheat, though they did quite more than their Nvidia & Intel countertpart, but that's something of the past.

just get the Aorus

Maybe emphasize that they don't get the choice that exactly fits their need and that they lose money by paying for someone else to build their own PC. Maybe invite a friend that has already built a PC and tell them he'll do it with you idk.

If it's about the warranty, every component has its own warranty. Sometimes even longer than a whole prebuilt.

I've seen this before with friends, their parents dont trust them and they buy prebuilts, when something broke they still came to me because the warranty was gone anyway. It's ways something simple which you couldve circumvented by building yourself, like a bad PSU.

How does Zen compare to Skylake in IPC?

Drop the 7600k and get an R5 1600 instead, not only is it cheaper because it doesn't require a cooler but it also is better.
Downgrade the overkill PSU to 500 - 550w
Upgrade the GPU to either a GTX 1050ti or if the budget can afford, RX 570 which is miles ahead of it
R5 1600 + RX 570 are both the best value hardware there is, best performance per $

100% humbug

About 90% of Skylake's IPC when comparing most instruction sets and loads, and up to 115% in very specific benchmarks (and on Linux). I think its AES-NI implementation is up to 200% better than Skylake, but I might be mistaking that with older AMD CPUs versus pre-Haswell.

Ryzen actually has higher IPC, but it can't overclock as well as Skylake CPU's can.

It's lower but not by much. The difference of performance is because of much higher clocks Intel CPUs can achieve and most importantly, communication speed between cores. The CCX design of Ryzen (two groups of core) make it so that when a core from group 1 tries to communicate with a core from a core from group 2, the latency is very very much higher than core communication speed of intel processors (naturally this is a tradeof for a lot of advantages this design gives).
But the difference is not at big as some people would make it out to be: Most people kept comparing the R7 1700 (3 to 3.7GHz) to the 7700k (4.5GHz) on launch benchmarks (missing all the bios updates & agesa that improved performacne a bit), whereas if you compare an R5 1500x to i5 7500 it's pretty much the same thing (they have almost the same clocks and perform the same in games)

Now, if you're talking non-game workloads, there is no rule of thumb: it's entirely dependent on which workload.

Is 8GB RAM enough?

Light gaming: Yes
AAA gaming: No
Workstation: Yes, but get more regardless.

No,this is not 2011.
16gb is new minimum for anything that is not ultra-budget or netbook.
18gb will last you for long time,5years minimum

yes, don't listen to these retards

Don't listen to this retard. Open world games like fallout and witcher will eat 16gb of meme up.

>fallout
>more than 4GB of ram
lmao okay

pcpartpicker.com/list/jTfq8K

>need a reliable mobo
>can i even fit 2 m.2 drives on it?
>best if it has 'constant 5V on all USB' or 'Audio over USB feature'
>all my audio runs through an usb audio interface and studio speakers, previous mobo caused problems when transfering files over usb (sound would get either distorted or completly cut off)

>plz don't recommend going for ryzen, as amd/ryzen CPU tend to cause huge sound latency - no good for my use

also, if you got any Europe based stores with cheap prices and shipping to Austria - that would be great

Im in the process of making a g4560 build and am wondering which is better for it the RX 480 4gb or the RX 570 GB?

after a few days of research and thought I am going with AMD. What do you guys think of this build? pcpartpicker.com/list/rTCTxY

570. IIRC, a G4560 will bottleneck a 580.

All good. Could change a few parts to make it cheaper if you wanted, but it's perfectly fine.

really like what? i was trying to keep it under 1000 and have a black and white theme but couldn't succeed so I flexed the budget.

>1050ti
no get a rx 570 instead

You can save a few bucks changing the motherboard to an Asrock B350 Pro 4 or an Asrock B350m Pro 4, both of which would match the color scheme. You can get a 120 gb ssd instead of 240, but again, I can understand keeping the 240.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/jTfq8K
Are you trolling?

He isn't

I'm building a PC with vidya primarily in mind, maybe VR in the future and I need help deciding on some parts. Not interested in 4K in the next 3 years at least. Not super interested in overclocking but I might get into that some day. Preferably no le gayming LED/RGB shit, I just want functionality and performance.

>CPU
Need help choosing between i5 6700k, i7 7600k and i7 7700k. No idea about coolers, need help on that as well.
>Motherboard
Pretty sure I'll get MSI Z270-A PRO. It's Z270, supports up to 3800MHz DDR4, has a M.2 slot (just one but I'm not into hoarding data) and has Optane support. If that counts for anything.
>GPU
6GB GTX 1060, thinking about Zotac AMP!, but I heard MSI has the best model - it's just that I don't remember which one it was because there's like 5 of them.
>SSD
Thinking of giving that up for a while, I'm fine with a 500GB HDD right now. Unless you can recommend me something reasonably cheap and cost efficient.
>RAM
2x4GB 3000Mhz. Trying to save money since buying more RAM later is not a problem. Is there even such a thing as a shitty RAM manufacturer? Should I get more? I've seen benchmarks that shown dual channel is not a meme, that's why I'm not getting 1x8GB.
>PSU
Will 600W be enough? What manufacturer?

Any reason to have 32 gb of ram vs 16?

Planning for 1440 in the future, MAYBE 4k

1600x ryzen is cpu, 580 or vega depending in future.

Why not Ryzen 5? You can get a Ryzen 5 1600 (6 cores, 12 threads) for $220, overclock it to like 3.7 on a $90 B350 motherboard, and get similar performance to a 7700k, and all reliably with the stock cooler it comes with. And even without overclocking, it puts up a great fight against the Intel i5 series.

oh i knew the ssd and a few bucks isn't that necessary thanks for your input

ryzen 1700 is better then all that intel shit

no, why?

I just heard Ryzen are no good for gaymin. Also I'd like to go with Intel even though AMD served me very well for the last 6 years.

/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

My PC is also used for rendering webms for Sup Forums thank you very much.

>i5 6700k or 7600k
it's shit, R5 1600 outperforms it at lower price point. Either that or a 7700k.

Wouldn't recommend 8GB for an AAA gaming build today because for some games it's already not enough. 12 or higher is pretty good.

>I just heard Ryzen are no good for gaymin.
you heard wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI

>Also i'd like to go with X brand for no particular reason
Then don't expect much advices, we're not going to give you bad advice just because you want us to.

>I just heard Ryzen are no good for gaymin.
lies from Intel shills.
Here's the Ryzen 5 1500x (4 core, 8 thread), against an i5 7500.
youtube.com/watch?v=PZjHYM7zDiE&t=303s

and a 1600 vs a 7600k
youtube.com/watch?v=O0oSYTP24rU

Sure the Intel chips may hit slightly higher framerates, but lok how close it is. Look how much higher the minimums are on Ryzen. Look how much CPU usage is between the 2 (high usage can cause stuttering)